Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.12, Saturday 29th September 2018!

Hamster

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I was a bit busy elsewhere, but I'm sad to say I didn't venture into the jam room.  How about next year (if there's a drummer about) than we just set the kit up on the main stage?  We could utilise the area as it's closer to the main thing and we could jam in there when the talks/tests aren't taking place.  It might also be useful to have drums playing when we're doing the shootout tests?

3 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

Yes to this Paul ! My thoughts exactly about testing basses and rigs - it needs to be done in context...

I'd be happy to pack a guitar and amp as well next year if we went this route.  I'm sure I could find a drummer to step up.

• Like 1

The day goes too fast. So much gear and people to talk to. 

Yup the Mouse for me too 💕💖😍 and I've never been a fretless player. 

I won the Line 6 DL4 in the raffle, and have just seen on the raffle list there was a PSU with it. I didn't take it at the time, don't suppose it turned up afterwards?

34 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

The day goes too fast. So much gear and people to talk to. 

Yup the Mouse for me too 💕💖😍 and I've never been a fretless player. 

I won the Line 6 DL4 in the raffle, and have just seen on the raffle list there was a PSU with it. I didn't take it at the time, don't suppose it turned up afterwards?

Oddly enough the Line 6 was donated by me too! I’m afraid I thought there was a PSU but once I’d sorted them all out I realised there wasn’t and forgot to amend the list, sorry. This was the one I got to go with it but I’ve mislaid it somewhere.

59 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Oddly enough the Line 6 was donated by me too! I’m afraid I thought there was a PSU but once I’d sorted them all out I realised there wasn’t and forgot to amend the list, sorry. This was the one I got to go with it but I’ve mislaid it somewhere.

Ah.  No worries then!

10 hours ago, TheGreek said:

It was bugging me yesterday...who does Richard Searle remind me of???

Anybody else??

image.jpeg.12ac437085d86c46cc6cab7f429dd82d.jpeg

Yeah, Matt Freeman from the Harry Potter films with Magneto the WIzard. I was surprised he didn't play one of his own signature basses! 😋

Edited by TrevorR

It was a great day... Many thanks to all those responsible for making it happen!

I must admit that Corduroy pretty much passed me by when they happened, I must find time to have a listen after hearing Richard's lines. A great speaker too, warm and entertaining. We arrived too late to get a card for the shootout so just remembered favourites, strangely enough mine was the old Aria P bass. Just goes to show... Erm... Well I'm sure it shows something. 🤣

Jabba's basses though... I'd have gone just for those alone!

Edited by NickD
  • Like 3

After a mad busy weekend I’ve finally got a couple of mins to put fingers to keyboard….

It was another fantastic SE BassBash wasn’t it?! Great people & venue, lovely coffee and pastries (thanks Mrs Hamster!)… and lots of fantastic gear :)

Due to running around sorting stuff, picking up Richard Searle from Surbiton station, doing the identify-the-bass test etc I didn’t get to properly try or hear as many basses as I would have liked but that was still more than Hamster (Colin) was able to do as he basically ended up manning the front desk for most of the day! So, let’s have some huge appreciation to Colin for his dedication!

Gear-wise my personal highlights were FrankBlack's 'Rob Allen Mouse' (stunning) and Jabba-the-gut's delano loaded bass – played & sounded gorgeous during the identify-the-bass test! Re: the test – you’ll all be pleased to know that having played the ‘Carry On Wayward Son’ riff some 30 times in half an hour I think I’m getting the hang of it and should have it mastered for another bass test next year! Lol!!

Richard Searle (Corduroy) was a complete star. Track problems on SWTrains meant it took him 3 hours to get from SE London to the bash….. and probably the same to get back home - but he did it in the full spirit of our bassist brethren without complaint or request for compensation. His hugely entertaining talk and some filthy funky basslines made it all worthwhile I’m sure we can all agree?!

Finally, I’d like to extend big personal thanks to Silverfoxnik (Nik), Hamster (Colin), NancyJohnson (Paul), Silvia Bluejay (Sylvia) and others who helped pull stuff together and ensure another successful day for all. On a personal note - my mate Kebabkid (Costas) was also a star for his help in looking after my gear while I was busy and taking Richard Searle back to the station post-bash.

See you all next year?!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, owen said:

People! I need to hear MUCH more about Jabba's tiny bass. Much more. 

Amazing little thing with a huge sound, you'd never guess it was "half a real bass".

Tonally, it's very good, well balanced and easy to play. Fit and finish was excellent. Did not look or feel, in any way, like an "amateur" build (no disrespect to Jez) and will probably, if Jez decides to sell them, be in high demand. As you can gather from the thread, there was, justifiably, lots of interest. I can see the resurgence of "Gazumping" because of this.

The one down side to it was, because of the level of interest in it, it wasn't possible to steal it.  😎😎

Looks like I'm going to be one of those who will actually have to part with the requisite number of pictures of Her Maj to get one.

Jez made it clear that in reality Mrs Jabba will have the final word in when they go into production - water damage to their kitchen is putting a blocker on any new projects. So unless you know any good plumbers and kitchen fitters, we'll all have to wait!!

So....back of the queue is over there....😄😄

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cetera said:

Gear-wise my personal highlights were FrankBlack's 'Rob Allen Mouse' (stunning) and Jabba-the-gut's delano loaded bass – played & sounded gorgeous during the identify-the-bass test! Re: the test – you’ll all be pleased to know that having played the ‘Carry On Wayward Son’ riff some 30 times in half an hour I think I’m getting the hang of it and should have it mastered for another bass test next year! Lol!!

So 5 strings next year then 😀 See you all there by which time I need to shed a few pounds looking at the photos

Edited by WalMan

Looks great, wish I could have been there but I’m in Scotland on a mini break. Enjoying it very much but haven’t opened bagpipechat yet. Congratulations to the team for a superb effort and another great opportunity to meet ‘chatters in the flesh!

looking forward to more pics!

ped