Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.12, Saturday 29th September 2018!

Hamster

27 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Tell that to @Frank Blank...he was struggling not to order one the whole day...justice really...that Rob Allen Mouse of his is just too nice..he can't be allowed to have a monopoly on great little basses. 😄😄

I will be KING of great little basses, oh yes! My first Bash, I had a great day meeting lots of new folk, everyone was ace! I spent half my time discussing @Jabba_the_gut‘s superb builds with @TheGreek and the other half of the time just wanting to nick one of them. I want a version of that dark semi acoustic so much. Another highlight was playing an upright for the first time (thanks @bassace) and particular thanks to @cetera for making me welcome right at the beginning when I was wandering around wondering where to set up and actually considering legging it, cheers Sir.

Great day, excellent company, can’t wait for the next one.

• Like 5

Adding my thanks to the organisers too, a very enjoyable day out & good to catchup with bass friends, old and new. 

I enjoyed Richard Searle’s playing ‘cos his style is so completely different to mine and quite an eye opener. 

I also fell for both Rob Allen basses, the Mouse and the 5 string. Such a sweet tone and so responsive to your touch. I was very impressed with Obbm’s Handbox amp too. 

Roll on next year’s bash!

Great day, big thanks to to the organisers, I particularly enjoyed Richard's talk.

I didn't play many basses this year, but I did play a lovely wood Status belonging to Prowla and one of the short scales Jabbba built - superb work there

I also love that we essentially came to the conclusion that all bases and all amps sound the same 😁

• Like 2

My only regret is that I didn't play more folks' basses there.

As a follow on to the "I can't pick out my own bass form 20 others" session, I also got into a discussion with Darren Redick about the correct fingering for Carry On Wayward Son, whilst comparing Rickenbackers with him and @ezbass...

Swag-wise, I bagged a HB Bass DI box in the raffle and now have to figure out what to do with it, and I also bought a nice little Eden 1x12 cab off  @hen barn (unfortunately, I missed @rodfunnell 's comment about maybe bringing an NY121 if messaged, but this'll do).

P.S. Who won the clutch bag in the raffle - I gots ta know....?

• Like 1

I came in half way through the blind test so didn't have a sheet, but was surprised that the ones I liked the most were the precisions, unsurprisingly I wasn't wild about the basses with flats on though, but I still couldn't identify anything 😁

My favourite was the black precision at the end (Graeme's?) then Cetera's Spector and then Paul's beaten up P copy.

I did keep note of which order I preferred the amps in heft test though:

Darkglass
Quilter
Markbass / Aguilar tied
Handbox
Trace Elliot
Mesa
Ampeg
Peavey

The volume on that tiny Quilter is nuts

• Like 2

I agree with so many sentiments here - thanks to everybody who attended and made the event such a great day and my first Bass Bash - For far too long my low-end mutterings been suppressed by my thin-strung brethren deliberations on tone, voicing and the very latest version of the most on-trend pedal... at last freedom for my ramblings! It was so refreshing to talk, at great length, with like-minded folk on all aspects of what we do, even if we collectively struggled to identify our instruments and be unable to decide if the 'heft' of tubes outweighs the hybrids and Ds - plonking and suchlike!

A huge shout out especially to  @silverfoxnik @cetera @Hamster @NancyJohnson for the countless hours it must have taken to put on an amazing day - @cetera I really think the Purple Dingwall is really not the bass for you - nowhere near sparkly enough - but don't worry I know someone who could pull that sedate look off! 😉 And I think @Jabba_the_gut your creations have every right to be held in as high regard as any bespoke, custom piece found on the walls of boutique luthier - if there had been a price tag on the 'Lil wing' I might have had the problem of trying to fit it in a overly full car at the end of the day!

The relaxed atmosphere that fostered trust and respect was unlike anything else at other events (Bass Show, almost any guitar store, etc) - my permanent fear of letting anyone near my beloved Stingray was quelled almost immediately but I still struggled when given the offer of playing other peoples treasured instruments - @Captain Bassman saw this first hand as he enthusiastically handed me an '82 Alembic that I was paranoid to even sit on my lap, let along play!

One moment that stands out was telling @Chimike what I was looking for a neck for (- heating up the glue and removing a fingerboard for a homemade shovel bass) - yes the neck you had for sale was too good and the offer of the old fingerboards laying about was very welcomed!

So here's to staying in virtual touch for the year, with hopefully some meets at gigs and another great in-person meet at the next one!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday was one long day for @Happy Jack and me! We left the bash and drove straight to a gig in Dartford. All good - I've got audio and video recordings of the bass and heft tests and of the whole of Richard's talk. I'll probably post the videos in their entirety on youtube and link to them in my forthcoming megablog, but before that, I'll let the BC Podcast team have the audio, in case they decide to publish snippets in the next episode. :)

I've also got loads of photos, of course.

I took pics of @Marcoelwray's bass in the jam room, but didn't have the chance to sit anyone down to play it and record their impressions. I'm sure the next person who has it will do so on the forum.

It was great to see you guys again, and have the chance to catch up, albeit briefly. 😎:sun_bespectacled:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Yesterday was one long day for @Happy Jack and me! We left the bash and drove straight to a gig in Dartford. All good - I've got audio and video recordings of the bass and heft tests and of the whole of Richard's talk. I'll probably post the videos in their entirety on youtube and link to them in my forthcoming megablog, but before that, I'll let the BC Podcast team have the audio, in case they decide to publish snippets in the next episode. :)

I've also got loads of photos, of course.

I took pics of @Marcoelwray's bass in the jam room, but didn't have the chance to sit anyone down to play it and record their impressions. I'm sure the next person who has it will do so on the forum.

It was great to see you guys again, and have the chance to catch up, albeit briefly. 😎:sun_bespectacled:

I was a bit busy elsewhere, but I'm sad to say I didn't venture into the jam room.  How about next year (if there's a drummer about) than we just set the kit up on the main stage?  We could utilise the area as it's closer to the main thing and we could jam in there when the talks/tests aren't taking place.  It might also be useful to have drums playing when we're doing the shootout tests?

• Like 1

Hi Folks

Late posting this as am having a lazy morning, but here's my ramblings reflections from Bash No.12...

Had a really good day yesterday and thanks to everyone who came along and supported and contributed to it.. 😊

Great to see so many Basschat friends again and to make some new ones too.

Gotta say that it wouldn't have been possible without all the hard work behind the scenes by @Hamster  (Colin),  @cetera(Gary), @obbm (Dave), @Silvia Bluejay (Silvia) and @Happy Jack (Jack), and some additional help and support from @The Greek (Mick), and also to @NancyJohnson (Paul) and @Chimike (Mike) for their help with the two workshops on 'bass tone' and 'heft' - so a big thanks to all of them! 

It was thanks to cetera that we had Richard Searle from Corduroy come along to spend some time with us and apart from his very interesting comments during the heft test, he also gave us a brilliant workshop, which was was really entertaining and informative too. So a massive thanks to Richard, and to Gary for arranging!!

On the organisational side of things, there were a few regulars who couldn't join us yesterday -  Paul the Drummer who was unwell, Mrs Hamster (Sarah) and luthier Ian Robinson - but hopefully they'll be back next year...

There was some fantastic gear around that I got to try and amongst so much good stuff, I've got to add my comments to the ones above about that wonderful Rob Allen Mouse that belongs to @Frank Blank - stunning!  Loved obbm's Handbox valve amp, @Captain Rumble' Mesa Walkabout, cetera's Epiphone Thunderbird Classic, Trevor's  Wals and chimike's Trace V6 too...

The bass tone test was fascinating I thought and if there is a conclusion to be drawn from it, it's probably that you've just got to play the basses that feel & sound right to you because - to almost every one else who hears your beloved bass (through your beloved rig)  - it's going to sound the same as the next bass that comes along. The only really important difference will be your musicianship I guess...

As for the rather haphazard 'heft test', I think we rushed it and could have done it a lot better to be honest, but I tend to agree that the valve sound feels better overall, but that good e.q. and knowing the sound you need to have for the band you're in and the types of music you play is key.. But I was surprised that the difference was less than expected. 

The For Sale area was the busiest it's ever been - in stark contrast to the forum itself at the moment - so I was really pleased about that.

Last, I just want to thank @bassace for indulging me by letting me try his lovely DB.. Roger  - you're an absolute gentleman and thanks very much for your time! 

Right, see you all next year for more fun and games..  😁

Nik

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I was a bit busy elsewhere, but I'm sad to say I didn't venture into the jam room.  How about next year (if there's a drummer about) than we just set the kit up on the main stage?  We could utilise the area as it's closer to the main thing and we could jam in there when the talks/tests aren't taking place.  It might also be useful to have drums playing when we're doing the shootout tests?

Yes to this Paul ! My thoughts exactly about testing basses and rigs - it needs to be done in context...

Regarding the events in the Auditorium, may I suggest we get the speakers a microphone next time? Although the recording devices automatic levelling did a good job of making the whole of the talks and tests audible, it would be a lot easier if the speech was amplified as well as the bass playing, so we could have similar levels from the start. (Yes I know it can be remedied with software - that's not the point.) :)

• Like 5

Thanks to everyone involved in the organisation and staging of the event and you good people who attended for what was another great, interesting, informative and friendly day. It was thoroughly enjoyable and I got to try just about everything I set out to, and some new stuff as well, apart from the Helix in the room furthest away.

Richard Searle was great and the chats, stories and questions continued after the event as I gave him a lift back to Surbiton Station - nice guy and I'm saddened I can't attend the upcoming Corduroy gig in Guildford due to a prior engagement.

I come away loving the Rob Allen Mouse, and let's face it, who didn't? Thanks Frank for bringing that gem along.

The Snap Dragon was a revelation

Finally, I think I found an Octaver that works for me (Aguilar Octamiser) - Thanks Prowla (Paul) for bringing that along and anyone selling one?

Thanks everyone and when's the next one???? :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silverfoxnik said:

There was some fantastic gear around that I got to try and amongst so much good stuff, I've got to add my comments to the ones above about that wonderful Rob Allen Mouse that belongs to @Frank Blank - stunning!

Thanks Nik. Just looking at adding a fretted version to the collection for the next Bash. I was unsure if anyone would be interested in it TBH so I was genuinely surprised and chuffed at the interest and responses.

• Like 2

On 29/09/2018 at 07:54, TrevorR said:

On a personally selfish basis it would be hard for me (and others of a God-bothering persuasion) as I’ve always got commitments on a Sunday. Much prefer a Saturday and just plan it into my annual calendar as a sacrosanct day. Plus for those who have been gigging and crawled in a 2 or 3 in the morning there’s a disincentive to be up at 7 or 8 and loading up the car again, I guess. Whatever day you have it, it’ll be inconvenient for someone.

Colin, does the church still use the school on a Sunday morning and evening? If so it would be venue hunting time...

Hi Trevor @TrevorR.  My church stopped meeting there about a year ago as we bought a large coffee shop in the middle of Chertsey and meet there on a Sunday, so I could book the school for a Sunday next year.  I also think it might be a good idea to have it at the start of September on the first weekend after the schools resume.  Several potential guests I approached this year said they were in rehearsals for Christmas tours at the end of September.  I don't suppose any time of year is ideal unless someone can say otherwise?

• Like 3

Twas a fun day for me, as usual. Good to meet up with the usual suspects and a few new faces. So many Basschatters in one place and talking about bloody bass gear!!

I didn't hear all of Richard's chat, had to rush off to a gig in Essex, but a big thanks to the team for organising the event, coming up with some good ideas to keep us interested and informed. I'm looking forward to doing it all again next year.

9 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Hi Trevor.  My church stopped meeting there about a year ago as we bought a large coffee shop in the middle of Chertsey and meet there on a Sunday, so I could book the school for a Sunday next year.  I also think it might be a good idea to have it at the start of September on the first weekend after the schools resume.  Several potential guests I approached this year said they were in rehearsals for Christmas tours at the end of September.  I don't suppose any time of year is ideal unless someone can say otherwise?

I think that booking dates is always a bit of a lottery - not this one though...

THIS TUESDAY£143MILLION*

And 2 guaranteed UK Millionaire Maker winners of £1,000,000

A couple of weeks earlier and many will be on holiday before the kids go back to school. We tried to book the Herts Bash for June/July, again holiday commitments/exams/etc. You also have to contend with sports events - British F1, Wimbledon, End of the Footie season, Cricket and Rugby World Cups every other year. Any later in the year you leave yourself at the mercy of the British weather..

All you can hope for is that enough turn up on the date you book....and that you have the winning ticket this Tuesday (think of all the gear you could buy with that...)