Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.12, Saturday 29th September 2018!

Hamster

Urgh, still over an hour away - in stationary traffic on the M23, haven't even got as far as whatever the M25 has in store yet 😡

Edit:

Just had an ambulance, police car and two fire engines go past, might be here for a while; hope no-one's badly hurt.

Edited by Graham

1 hour ago, johnthebassist said:

Aaaaaaah pants, this is/was today?!?!  I had no idea, else I'd have been there.  Been moping about looking for something to do all day.  TSSSSK!!!!  Maybe next year!!

Didn’t see an Wals on the FS list so you’ll be ok 🤓

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Merton said:

Didn’t see an Wals on the FS list so you’ll be ok 🤓

Seriously considering putting down a deposit on one before Christmas, depending on how other things go.  Will miss my 40th birthday for sure, but should be just in time for 41st :)

Anyway - I hope everyone had a smashing time there.  Will keep my eyes peeled for the date of next year's :)

• Like 2

Great day today.  Thanks to everyone for organising, see some of you around soon.  

If anyone is interested, Richard's band Corduroy are playing in Guildford on the 26th October at the start of their tour.  Well worth seeing if you get a chance -  https://www.seetickets.com/event/30-years-of-acid-jazz-corduroy-eddie-piller/suburbs-guildford/1250971  

Cheers :)

• Like 5

Got to agree with the sentiments above - great day out even if the numbers were down on last year. Good to see that Jack made it despite also having the lurgee which brought down the drummer. Many faces old and new alike - got to chatting with a few people I didn't know. Loved the Rob Allen Mouse and the two Alembics. I'm sure Silvia will be along shortly with photos.

Richard Searle was excellent, but I would say that as a big Corduroy fan. Got him to sign some CDs and a HRC baseball.

Not sure how many got to trial the Elwray bass which reached me on Thursday. Check my review elsewhere. I believe that Grangur will be collecting this in a few days, before passing it on to GaryMac. Get your name on the list if you're interested.

One of the stars of the event was one of Jez's (Jabba) basses which was highly acclaimed in the "Bass Identity" Test. Have to fess up, I didn't get a single one right - but did have a near miss with the Ricks.

Controversy remains following "The Heft Challenge" - was there a discernible difference between Class D and Valve Amps?? The committee is still out and if we can't tell the difference, how can we expect the punters too??

The usual fun/frustration with the raffle. Due to reduced numbers there were raffle prizes left over which Colin (Hamster) and Nik will be advertising here and the proceeds going to this years Charity.

As I said, great day out. Many thanks to Cetera for getting Richard Searle along at short notice, everybody else who helped out behind the scenes and especially Colin and Nik for putting together another fine event. 

Long may they continue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

My first bash, really enjoyed it, top organisation by those involved - kudos.

’Spot the bass’ blindfold test was an eye opener, or should I say ear opener. Fortunately, I recognised my own basses (sort of, I confused a vintage 4001s with my 4003s, but I nailed my Maruszczyk Elwood) but was at sea with the others. The ‘heft’ test was another interesting demo too. I took away the personal conclusion that one should play what you like the look, feel and up close sound of, because from a FOH perspective, there’s not much in it. A cure for GAS? Unlikely :D 

Played some really nice owned basses, with some absolute stunners, everyone was so generous with their often very expensive instruments. A big shout out for our own @Jabba_the_gut‘s semi acoustic build, easily at home with the Alembics, Wals, Rob Allens and other exotica; top work, sir.

I’d definitely come to another bash if possible, preferably without the tiredness and banging headache I brought with me this time.

• Like 2

Thanks again to everyone for organising this event. It's a bit of a hike for me to get there but is always worth the effort!

Really enjoyed the shoot out, very text and Richard's chat/playing. And I got to try some lovely basses too and meet some great folk.

Cheers again and see you next year.

• Like 1

My first bash too as a long time lurker and sometime poster/commenter and I really enjoyed it. Big thanks to all involved in organising, running and recording the day.

Great to meet some faces behind the avatars - my neighbours in the hall Paul (Prowla) and Colin (ezbass), Hen Barn and Rod Funnell - all lovely blokes, great fun to chat with.

The spot the bass test was bizarre and real shock. Everything I thought was a Rick or a Jazz-type wasn’t and everything I thought was a P bass turned out to be a Rick! I managed to get 4 right but that was an absolute fluke!!

Bass highlight for me was that exquisite tiny little thing that Jez (Jabba) built. Incredible build quality and absolutely thunderous tone from such a compact bass. I want!!

Tick V G all round!

• Like 1

Huge shout out to @silverfoxnik, @Hamster, @cetera @NancyJohnson and everyone else that made today happen. Great day out as usual. And Richard Searle was a revelation. I knew his bassing would be great but what a raconteur and so entertaining to listen to. Well done guys. Great to chat to so many of the regulars and try some lovely basses out too. Can’t wait til next year’s! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Captain Bassman said:

My first bash too as a long time lurker and sometime poster/commenter and I really enjoyed it. Big thanks to all involved in organising, running and recording the day.

Great to meet some faces behind the avatars - my neighbours in the hall Paul (Prowla) and Colin (ezbass), Hen Barn and Rod Funnell - all lovely blokes, great fun to chat with.

The spot the bass test was bizarre and real shock. Everything I thought was a Rick or a Jazz-type wasn’t and everything I thought was a P bass turned out to be a Rick! I managed to get 4 right but that was an absolute fluke!!

Bass highlight for me was that exquisite tiny little thing that Jez (Jabba) built. Incredible build quality and absolutely thunderous tone from such a compact bass. I want!!

Tick V G all round!

Tell that to @Frank Blank...he was struggling not to order one the whole day...justice really...that Rob Allen Mouse of his is just too nice..he can't be allowed to have a monopoly on great little basses. 😄😄

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Thanks again to everyone for organising this event. It's a bit of a hike for me to get there but is always worth the effort!

Really enjoyed the shoot out, very text and Richard's chat/playing. And I got to try some lovely basses too and meet some great folk.

Cheers again and see you next year.

Darn - I didn't get 'round to trying your mini-bass! 🙂