Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.12, Saturday 29th September 2018!

Hamster

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been wondering about special guests... I can't help with any contacts or hook-ups. However, Dave Swift and Rhino have both been regular attendees in the past. I wonder whether they might be coaxed to give an insight into their playing or their careers. Also, I would love to head Neil Murray, as one of my early bass inspirations, talking about his life playing bass (from the National Youth Jazz Orchestra to touring the world's enormodromes, to working in the pit for We Will Rock You).

What about Lol Cottle? He plays a bit in the Surrey area, esp at Boaters in Kingston, but I'm not sure where he's based. Another player with a hugely interesting CV.

On techniques and the like, Dave Marks (Bass Guitar columnist, bass teacher, session player, rock and jazz sidesman etc), lives in the London region. He is someone I do kinda know and could ask if he would be interested. Top player and absolutely hilarious to boot. Might be dependent on whether he has a paying gig or not.  

1 minute ago, TrevorR said:

If Gary brings "The Axe" we'll have to insist he comes "in character" and full regalia!!!

Or at the very least his "Soft Rock Ballad Stetson"!!!

Lol! I spent 26 years wearing all that stuff...... never again!
The cowboy hat could be arranged, for a 'professional fee'.... ;)

• Haha 1

How about a Basschat Builders session with Andy, Pete Stroud and the like showing off some of their builds and chatting about the challenges of making instruments?

As a guest builder/company we could ask someone like Bernie Goodfellow? Guitar Guitar to do a feedback session similar to the Andertons one? Just freewheeling here...

1 hour ago, TrevorR said:

How about a Basschat Builders session with Andy, Pete Stroud and the like showing off some of their builds and chatting about the challenges of making instruments?

As a guest builder/company we could ask someone like Bernie Goodfellow? Guitar Guitar to do a feedback session similar to the Andertons one? Just freewheeling here...

Have Andertons actually taken on board some of the stuff that was thrown at Lee?  I don't think I need a spoiler here but:

Spoiler

No.  No they haven't.

I know that Andertons videos are hitting thousands of views, but I'd like to see less finger-pluckn and more pick work.  Also, if you're showing off a brand new copy reissue clone of a vintage bass, then have an actual vintage one there for comparison sake.  Having a 60s vibe is meaningless unless you have something to put it up against.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2018 at 12:44, TrevorR said:

Bernie has been to a previous SEBB so he might be up for a return

• Like 1

I am trying so hard to get a fantastic British bassist in...I'm in contact with him via an intermediary, but he says he can't commit to anything so far off.  I'll try again in a couple of months...

And no, don't push me for a name, but he's a legend in my book.

[Edit/Update]  And it's pretty much a no.  Sadly.  For the record, it was Colin Moulding of XTC fame.

Edited by NancyJohnson

On 20/01/2018 at 18:52, Hamster said:

Bernie has been to a previous SEBB so he might be up for a return

Bernie was special guest at the 2008 Bash at the Holiday Inn, Guilford.. He did a great presentation IIRC..

We also had John East, the then editor of BGM at the time (who's name escapes me) and an even younger looking than he is now Alex Claber, who gave a fascinating 'pre-Barefaced' talk on acoustics and speaker design.

Bernie would be good to invite again for sure..

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I now have a gig that night, this is going to require careful negotiation with the wife

A guest suggestion would be James Leach from SikTh who has uses some interesting tapping techniques and odd time signature playing, he's also from the south.

He is a member on here under the cunningly disguised name @JamesLeach as he was selling a bass a couple of years ago, but I don't know if he's actually active

On 15/01/2018 at 12:39, TrevorR said:

Been wondering about special guests... I can't help with any contacts or hook-ups. However, Dave Swift and Rhino have both been regular attendees in the past. I wonder whether they might be coaxed to give an insight into their playing or their careers. Also, I would love to head Neil Murray, as one of my early bass inspirations, talking about his life playing bass (from the National Youth Jazz Orchestra to touring the world's enormodromes, to working in the pit for We Will Rock You).

What about Lol Cottle? He plays a bit in the Surrey area, esp at Boaters in Kingston, but I'm not sure where he's based. Another player with a hugely interesting CV.

On techniques and the like, Dave Marks (Bass Guitar columnist, bass teacher, session player, rock and jazz sidesman etc), lives in the London region. He is someone I do kinda know and could ask if he would be interested. Top player and absolutely hilarious to boot. Might be dependent on whether he has a paying gig or not.  

It would be good to get Neil Murray in - he was at the recent guitar fair in Thame, though (apart from a momentary look when he saw I recognised him) I didn't intrude on his time.