Why become a member? ×

Mixing Desk assistance and advice please

mr4stringz

Hey all.

been a good long while since I’ve been in a band that needed a lockup, but my current band is now looking at going down this route.

Things have moved in a lot since the big old Peavey brick I had years ago...so...Any suggestions or recommendations for a decent quality mixing desk? Budget sub-£300 if at all possible. Got decent speakers so it’s just the board we need. Analogue preferably.  We don’t plan on mic’ing gear up so it’ll only be needed for 3 vocal mics and needs enough oomph to hold its power with a reasonably loud one guitar, bass and drums set up.

Thanks in advance.

Hi mr4stringz,
Sub £300 is possible for new analogue mixers matching what you appear to be saying.
There appears to be a contradiction in what you write "enough oomph" requirement for a mixer. What model speakers do you have?

One I have used for vocals with nice microphones and small gigs is the Mackie DFX 6 mixer (now discontinued) which also has reverb. Whilst you have not stated that you require reverb, many singers appear to require it. I own a few different mixers.

Suggestions Within your budget, have effects and are New:
Soundcraft EFX8
Soundcraft Signature 10
Mackie ProFX12 V2 Mixer
Mackie ProFX8 V2 Mixer

A little over Budget and New:

Soundcraft Signature 12
Soundcraft Signature 12MTK

At this price point I find these to be better than the A&H 'Zed' range which having tried, avoid when better are available.
Hope this helps. To go further, I could do with knowing what the speakers are.

Edited by richardhx
Found another option to add.

Also - obvious question time - do you mean you need a mixer and an amp?  Or in fact, a mixer amp?

I ask as you say you have 'speakers' - but not whether they're active or not.  I'm also wondering this because you say the mixer needs to have enough 'oomph'.  As Richard says, all will become clear if you know the type / rating of the speakers.

Assuming you have passive speakers of maybe 250w RMS, I'd first suggest having a look at one of Mr Thomann's t-amp E800s for the ampwork.  350W per channel at 8R, nice big fat toroidal transformer, safe as houses build quality, 5 year warranty - and about £137, today.  I've used a couple of them with good results.  That leaves you £163 for a desk and patch/speaker cables. 

I agree with Richard that the Soundcraft desks are nicer than the Allen and Heath ZED range.   I like the sturdiness of the Soundcraft EPM 8 - plus it feels like a proper desk - but it probably gobbles up your remaining budget, and a bit more.  It also doesn't have any FX on board.  The Soundcraft Notepad-12FX has a Lexicon on board for the same sort of money but it's a bit more plasticky, though.  And dials, not faders.

If you really want a mixer amp, stuff hasn't moved much beyond what you used before.  You might want to look at the Yamaha EMX 5, or perhaps some of the higher-end Behringer stuff.  But for the power you want, it'll cost more to go this way.

Hope this stuff might have helped... :)

Thanks v much for this Richard and Tontee.

TBH I’m not sure on the speakers at this point as the guitarist has them in storage. So far as I know they are passive.

And thanks, yes, a mixer and an amp is needed.

I shall return once I have the info suggested above! Bass gear I’m fine with this stuff though, over my head!

thanks again guys ??