Why become a member? ×

Open strings: Yay or nay, with reasons.

Telebass

Noticed on another thread that someone didn't use open strings, for him because if damping issues. 

I'm a user of open strings. I see no reason why not, although apparently Phil Lesh always thought it an abomination - never really understood why. I certainly do NOT agree with the "nut and frets sound different " argument. In a band context it would be all but impossible to ever tell, and difficult anyway. 

Let's hear it...

I use open strings, but usually only if the next note played is fretted on that string or is on the string below ie on the A string after an open E so that it's easily damped as my finger comes through from plucking the next note. It seems to be necessary for me in order to get the right note lengths/values on an open string, not just leaving it ringing away. Probably due to poor technique on my part. I appreciate that you may not hear that when the band is going full chat, but as most people learn stuff at home on their own I find it just doesn't sound right to me with open strings ringing, and I play it how I learn it!  Well, mostly anyway xD. I should add that I'm a finger player with flats. If you're a pick player with rounds it may be different. That may be the sound you actually want or like!

Edited by phil.c60

I'd say in most live contexts, it won't make any difference. In the studio it can make a significant difference, depending on the sound of the bass/player/amp/effects/bassline but then in the studio you can just drop in with the fretted note if it's a difficult jump to make

I tend to play open strings as often as I can depending on the song and the position of my left hand on the neck. But I have nerve damage in my left arm so the fewer fretted notes I can play the less fatigued my left hand becomes. Needs must and all that. 

Edited by Osiris
Typo!
  • Like 3

I love open strings even to the extent of doing naughty double bass playerly cheats and playing an open A "en passant" in key of Eb.  If you are quick & smooth you can get away with it and on a walking line it makes all the difference.

What I DO find myself still doing is trying to play as much as possible on the two low strings of my P bass!  Still find mine and most others I have played wimp out on the D and A strings if you arent careful.

In seriousness though, it can depend on the part. 16th notes at say 140bpm can be taxing and a position change involving an open string can be very handy :) It's been a while since I've needed to do that but I'm expecting an album release next month where I'll need to start relearning some of those moves!

G# (13th fret), open E = Double stop.

A lovely sound. Then add a D at the 12th fret on the D string, a nice D7 shell. Then of course, all the variations.

Open strings are gorgeous for chordal pieces.

Fast chromatic runs down low, the open strings can be invaluable and at high tempo, the difference in tone wouldn’t be noticeable.

What about tunes played on a four string when a low E is needed? You have no other option, unless you retune.

Open strings are part of the Bass gig. At some point in your life, for some reason, there will be a need for an open string, even if it is just for tuning up. :biggrin:

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 2

Use open strings a lot to be honest i play a lot around the first 4 frets so find it natural to play them....when I first started playing i never or rarely used open strings but has i developed a certain style i found using them useful....especially in the keys of E and A or keys of G and C playing 12 bar bluesy stuff and walking Basslines ect....or in F# for some 2nd fret funky stuff 

Per above really.  I use them when I have to, or it makes sense to do so.

A couple of my basses have zero frets but in all honesty I can't hear a great deal of difference.  None at all in a live band situation.

i'll use them or not use them depending on the note and the song.  Sometimes it has to be done because of positioning for the other notes being played, and hitting the open note is much easier than the fretted one; sometimes it's a tonal thing where an open string doesn't sound right compared to a fretted note on a lower string (and vice versa - sometimes the open string will have the required tone) and sometimes I'll have worked out the bass line in one position and it simply doesn't occur to me to play it somewhere else on the neck

I don't understand the "it always/never sounds right" attitude

3 hours ago, paul_5 said:

I try to avoid open strings wherever possible as I don’t like the sound of them. That said my metal band uses open strings a LOT. ?

The original bassist in Saxon, played open as much as possible, so the other hand could be held aloft in rock salute!

\m/

?

• Like 3

Just now, MacDaddy said:

The original bassist in Saxon, played open as much as possible, so the other hand could be held aloft in rock salute!

\m/

?

Just had a great idea! Seven string, tuned to the major scale. Capo to change key*.

maximum salutage per notes! \m/

*and you’d only need about five frets for classic rock lol