Why become a member? ×

Glocken- klanger?

lownote

I just bought an Ibanez SRSC805 which has been modified with a Glockenklang 3 band pre-amp by the previous owner. I know nothing about these pre-amps, and while it seems to play alright I wondered if any one had experience- based opinion on whether the Glock is worth keeping in or I should revert to the original Ibo wiring.  It’s not a job I could do myself so its not as simple as putting the old loom back in to see the difference. It sounds very bright to me, more than I actually like. I've tried my old favourite D'Addario nickel strings as well as the Elixirs it came with and I'm not sure I 100% like any of the combinations.  But if this mod is the best thing since sliced bread maybe I can learn to live with it.

I've got one in a bass and absolutely love it. I don't find it particularly bright and I love the fact that with everything in the flat position there is no difference in output from active to passive so not colouring the sound at all.

As to if it is the best thing since sliced bread, can't comment. We are all different and what works for me, might not for someone else but I would not hesitate to put one in another bass.

Edited by BassBunny

9 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

I've got one in a bass and absolutely love it. I don't find it particularly bright and I love the fact that with everything in the flat position there is no difference in output from active to passive so not colouring the sound at all.

As to if it is the best thing since sliced bread, can't comment. We are all different and what works for me, might not for someone else but I would not hesitate to put one in another bass.

Bunny, what difference did it make to the sound that makes you like it so much? 

5 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Glocks are fitted as standard in Sandbergs i think. I have one in my PM4 and really like it - but i know what you mean about the brightness. Its the zing and clarity that i like in mine but its not for everyone. 

Have you looked.? I'e seen Delano preamps fitted into a few Sandberg's 

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I may be wrong (happened once beforexD) but aren't they fitted as standard to Enfield Basses with the SimS system?

And the pre of choice in Dingwall basses, though they do a few adjustments to the pre on certain bass models.

i have 4 Glocks and really like them. The only pre I’d really love to get in my basses would be the East UniPre which looks amazing.

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

Glocks are fitted as standard in Sandbergs i think. I have one in my PM4 and really like it - but i know what you mean about the brightness. Its the zing and clarity that i like in mine but its not for everyone. 

Sandberg have used Noll, Delano and Glock  pre-amps but having had a Sandberg I reckon the "zing" comes from the Delano pickups. I certainly don't get that with my bass.

Hi ,

here in Germany, where Glockenklang is based, the company has a high reputation for "hi-fidelity" Equipment. They produce (since years) well acclaimed amplification in the upper price region. I doubt that anything with the brand name on it is not-optimal in a technical sense. But if it does not fit your idea of sound ... change it.

Cheers,

Tom

13 hours ago, dood said:

And the pre of choice in Dingwall basses, though they do a few adjustments to the pre on certain bass models.

i have 4 Glocks and really like them. The only pre I’d really love to get in my basses would be the East UniPre which looks amazing.

You would be very disappointed by the UniPre, the SPM02-3B is way far uncompressed and much more user friendly. Try the Mike Pope Flexcore : this is the more transparent and non compressing preamp ever, but the cost is, say, prohibitive.

Coming back to your Ibanez SRSC805 it's a neck through single cut construction, so with more attack, harmonics, highs and preciser basses by definition. Maybe it's simply the wrong bass for your ears... That happens sometimes.

16 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I may be wrong (happened once beforexD) but aren't they fitted as standard to Enfield Basses with the SimS system?

IIRC the pre-amp for Super-8 pickups is specially designed by John East and also functions to balance the output between the 3 pickup modes.

So not a Glockenklang.

Edited by BigRedX

8 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

IIRC the pre-amp for Super-8 pickups is specially designed by John East and also functions to balance the output between the 3 pickup modes.

So not a Glockenklang.

I think its the Cannon that gets the East circuit due to the Super 8 pickup. The Lionheart models (at least the ones I’ve reviewed) with the Quad pickups have Glockenklang. That could have changed more recently I guess. :)

Edited by dood