Why become a member? ×

Cone rattling from vibrations even if cab unplugged

1976fenderhead

I have 2 GK Neo 112 cabs and one of them, even if unplugged, is making a rattling noise that sounds similar to distortion even if the cab is unplugged, just from the vibrations of the other cab when I play. I've tightened all the screws I could and no change, then identified the rattle as coming from the front, tried pressing on the cone while the rattling was going on and that stops it. So it's coming from the cone, pressing elsewhere does nothing. Any ideas why this might be happening? Would a blown driver rattle through vibrations even if unplugged?

It's possible anything loose in the room will rattle if you play loud through another cab. If your cab hits the tuning frequency of the broken cab it might even be quite loud.

All I can suggest though is that you go through the usual checks. make sure nothing inside the cab is touching the cone, check the internal wiring in particular. then check that the driver is properly bolted down. Go right round the cone making sure everything is glued in place properly checking the corrugated surround and the central dust cap in particular. Also check the rest of the cab to see if anything is loose, it can be difficult to exactly locate where a rattle is coming from by ear.

Good luck

I've never owned the particular cab in question, but based on a picture on the internet it seems front loaded.  take the grille off (looks like two screws on each side wall) and the driver(s) will be screwed down.  you can then pop the drivers out and have an inspect.

With the grille off, I'd also run up the cab and see if the rattle goes away - as it has a metal grille.  With one cab I had, I ended up making up soft PE bushes to stop the metal grill rattling against the wooden cab when pushing air. 

30 minutes ago, Tonteee said:

With the grille off, I'd also run up the cab and see if the rattle goes away - as it has a metal grille.  With one cab I had, I ended up making up soft PE bushes to stop the metal grill rattling against the wooden cab when pushing air. 

I've also come across that prob (not same cab).

Lay cab on back.

Take screws out grill.  Remove grill.  Remove screws/bolts from top cab & lay on top of cab.  Look inside with torch & see if anything is touching cone.

Fix if so.

Put back together.

G.

Ok, so here are my findings:

I don't see anything touching anything inside, or loose or dangling, everything seems fine.

With the cab unplugged:

With the cab resting on its back, speaker pointing up, if I play a low note the cone rattles with the vibrations in the room. If I pull it out of its hole and rest it on top the cab (next to hole, pointing up), vibrations stop. If I start lowering it back into the hole, when I get to about an inch of it resting in place, it starts rattling again.

With the cab plugged:

It just farts no matter what as notes are played. If I put my finger on the cone, it stops.

Looks like the speaker is blown, right?

Edited by 1976fenderhead

Wow, that's quite a find! I do have that number sticker! It's way past warranty though and I'm not sure it's the same issue... I don't see a loose connection and it rattles even when unplugged. The only thing I can see is that if I press either of the silver wires going into the cone, the rattling stops, but so it does if I just press the cone with my finger, I think it's just the wires pressing on the cone like my finger, same effect... Anyway, seems like I'll really have to take it to someone to have a look at it...

If you have the bogey driver, taking it to a man will only confirm you have bogey driver, surely?  Though having said that, it's possible that a repair could be effected by a competent speaker tech.

They describe a fragiliy in the wire going from voice coil to chassis, this it in red, if you didn' t see the picture in the thread, to save others fishing through:

speaker_zps4aa48b96-jpg.2296362

So to my mind, putting your finger on the cone takes the vibration out of the cone and steadies the wire.

I'd email GK and have a pop at getting a replacement / cut price driver.  Failing that, it might be new driver time.  Maybe an excuse for a change of brand...?

All the best!