Why become a member? ×

Deep Purple in concert

steantval

See them in their heyday with what i'd call classic line up....Blackmore, Gillan, Paice, Lord and Glover then again about 15 years ago with Steve Morse on Guitar both times excellent 

See Gillan Band aswell early 80's and Paice and Lord in Whitesnake plus Blackmore in Rainbow in early 80's all superb 

Edited by thebigyin

Likewise.  I saw them on the 'Burn' tour with Coverdale and Hughes - missed MkII by a year or so.  It was at the Kursaal in Southend and I have an enduring memory from that night of a girl without a stitch on getting on stage and jumping onto Ritchie Blackmore.  He had the presence of mind to unsling his guitar and strum it on her backside.  It remains one of the best gigs I have seen.

Saw them again with Morse some years later and found them a little disappointing - it seemed rather churlish that they didn't play anything from the period Gillan wasn't in the band.  Plus by that time his voice was shot to bits.

The only time I ever saw Deep Purple was in 1969 at The Royal Festival Hall on the occasion that they performed "Concerto for Group and Orchestra" with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Malcolm Arnold.  A somewhat surreal experience at the time.  I still have a vinyl of it somewhere among my old records but alas no turntable.

We're off to see them at the O2 on Thursday. Probably wouldn't have bothered on my own account, much as I love their output from the early 70's, but Mrs. E has somehow managed to go her whole life without ever going to a big rock gig, so this is largely for her benefit. 

I watched it - if you can overlook the fact that at least some of them are rather old (even more than me) I thought they sounded excellent and definitely evocative of 1969/70 (with the exception of Gillan's voice) - but even he sounded good but different.

The mix was excellent and on my tele the keyboards and the bass were as prominent as the guitar where required - unlike the Gilmore concert a couple of nights ago where I was hard pressed to hear any of the detail of what Guy Pratt was playing. 

If you're into Deep Purple circa 1970 this is pretty good. 

Saw them couple of yrs ago with Don Airey standing in after John Lord passed away and i was very impressed with the band.

Gillan still a fantastic frontman with Glover and Paice just solid as a rock and working really well together.

Steve Morse is an exceptional guitarist.

Dave

I think Gillan's loss of upper register was quite evident as early as 1998, when they put a new recording of Bloodsucker on the end of Abandon - the screechy bits so beloved of the original seemed to have been replaced with a relatively gentle falsetto! Not sure why they didn't just leave it off what was otherwise a surprisingly good album...

I head SOTW from this gig on the radio and I thought it sounded pretty lame so have avoided this in case of disappointment.  I say the "classic" line up a few times in the dim and distant past and remember those gigs very fondly.

I saw them last night in Cardiff, and they still awesome musicians. They are getting on (except for Steve Morse!) and that has its effects. But it was a lot of fun last night. Roger Glover and Ian Paice were having a ball!!

Edited by JonBarnes

23 minutes ago, KevB said:

After the changeing of the guard on guitar and the unleashed exhuberence of Perperndicular I think the follow up Abandon got a bit short changed and underappreciated. There are some very good tunes on it.

I actually preferred Abandon to Perpendicular...at least, I always used to. Haven't put either of them on for years, now I think about it. Perhaps I should go back and re-assess!