Why become a member? ×

need to make quick decision - help me decide

XoSo

I feel your pain,I bought a fernandes revival bass from a reverb seller in italy.

I think it is a 1981 model and it arrived looking in really good shape 

but It also had neck issues,similar to the ones you described and the truss rod was tight 

I ended up using the washer trick and that got it straighter and to complete I clamped the neck straight and manage to get some more movement on the truss rod and now its got a nice low action and plays great 

was a learning curve but I really wanted to keep the bass as the neck is really nice and comfortable for me 

hope yours turns out to be ok.

I'll see what the tech says tomorrow, hopefully it won't be as bad as I'm fearing. I've got seven days to return it but I'll have to spring the £50 return postage which seems a bit off to me if they've sold me something unfit for purpose. I really hope it can be sorted as it's a beautiful bass. To rub salt in the wound though I had a mooch around the bass room at guitar guitar whilst I was waiting for the tech and they've got a Flea bass hanging on the wall!

The neck will no doubt have moved due to slackening the strings and probably temperature changes.

After tuning it could take at least overnight to settle back down. If it's come from Spain there is a hell of difference in humidity and it may take a while to sort itself out. Pal of mine had a similar problem with his Stingray. Hadn't been played for nearly a year and stored in a cold room. A quick tune up and leaving in a warmer room and 2 days later it was fine.

Hi XoSo,
I'm really sorry to hear of your woes mate, I really am :(
That's every instrument buyers nightmare. Of course, it may be that this is something that happened in transit?
Who knows at this point. Also, it may be that your guitar tech can fix it..... hopefully this is the case it can be sorted
Truss rods can be replaced - so hopefully it can be fixed....

I'd get a written / printed report from your tech / luthier, and I'd be emailing the people who sold it to you

Best of luck with it mate

Quick update. Having spoken to  the guitar tech on the phone today I'm a bit more hopeful. He seems to think that a combination of things like the guitar being shipped with strings slackened off and change in climate will have caused most of the problems and that he can get it back in with a truss rod adjustment. He said there were several other 'little things' that needed doing to it but he didn't go into details and I didn't ask as I'd pulled into a lay by to talk to him when he called me whilst I was driving. He's quoted £75 all in. Bit steep I thought but then the guitar shop are going to take a chunk of that for their commission. I know I could get it set up a lot cheaper if a took it to a local retired guy I use but he takes ages and I'm impatient to get it back. I'm not going to quibble if he can set up perfectly as he promised. With luck it should be ready for me to collect tomorrow afternoon, so fingers crossed!

Seconded (or thirded?). Fingers crossed the bass can be set up as you need, and it turns out to be everything you hoped. 

Your experience seems to highlight the need to factor in a decent setup and, perhaps, new set of strings when buying from an unknown seller, almost regardless of where the bass lives. 

Oh heck...sorry to hear this.

I don't tend to buy used unless I know the player or I have played the instrument.

I would lodge a complaint with them immediately and ask for a partial refund.

Whilst MIJ/CIJ Basses and guitars are great, the colour, finish, weight, neck, control and the amazing pickups would steer me towards the Flea Jazz.

Edited by Musicman20

Hi again XoSo,
Glad to hear the neck may be OK. Yes, slackening off strings then shipping the bass could have caused temporary problems
But once the bass is set up, make sure the luthier has it for a couple of days - to make sure everything has settled down well - I understand your impatience! lol ;)

As others have said, once you've got it back and played it for a few hours, don't forget to post some piccies and some thoughts on the bass
I really hope the neck is fine - I'm sure it will be....

Hi guys, just a quick update and apologies for not posting sooner but I've been working away in Sheffield for the last few days. Anyway, picked up the bass on Thursday and it's like a totally different guitar. Plays beautifully with really low action and absolutely no fret buzz. Still think £75 was pricey considering they didn't even change the strings but I'm a happy bunny that my beautiful bass is now OK. Only just got back home today so really haven't had much time to play it yet but I've a few days off now so will get some pics up soon. Just like to also say thank you to all the people who posted with advice/sympathy/well wishes - I'm new to basschat but this really is a great community.

My local guy charges £100 for a full set up.

For that you get the works, action, intonation, truss rod, frets filed and levelled if it needs it.

If you want the strings changed you have to provide him with the new set yourself and he'll adjust the set up for those strings.

I've only ever used his services a couple of times, both times with new (to me) basses that I though could benefit from the full treatment.

Both times I considered it money well spent.

4 hours ago, ead said:

Jack's Instrument Services in Manchester do stuff for me.  Normal set-up is £45 and full set up and fret dress is £75.

Gordon at Single Coil in Leeds charges similar prices, he did stellar work on my Jazz when I got him to pop a new bridge on and give it a set-up. Worth every penny!

https://singlecoil.co.uk/