Why become a member? ×

DGCF tuning - anyone using it regularly?

Telebass

The majority of my band's stuff is CGCF...although newer songs we are yet to release are even lower, BF#BE....after several years I have finally had my Cirrus set up to handle the low tunings, and heavier strings of course.  The difference is incredible, probably should have done it years ago rather than just putting up with flobby strings, ha ha.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Womble said:

The majority of my band's stuff is CGCF...although newer songs we are yet to release are even lower, BF#BE....after several years I have finally had my Cirrus set up to handle the low tunings, and heavier strings of course.  The difference is incredible, probably should have done it years ago rather than just putting up with flobby strings, ha ha.

Have you ever considered going to CGCG? I've recently got my hands on a 4 string Dingwall AB1 and have a set of heavy gauge Newtone strings ready to go on there for GCGC tuning (REALLY heavy gauge) - in preparation to release my inner Devin Townsend! Have my Ibanez baritone electric tuned GCGCGC already...

• Like 1

Yeh the guitarists are in CGCGCG!!  I don't know why but I like having that F there...  GCGC though?!  NICE! There has been tinkering recently with a song in A#...argh!!  What gague are you using for the GCGC tuning out of interest?  

LOVE Devin Townsend - would love to hear once you have managed to release your inner DT.  :)

14 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

I just stuck with my standard strings.

Which is why the strings lost their snap... If you're used to a certain tension why would you expect the strings to perform the same at lower tension?

I'm not a massive drop-tuning fan on bass, although I don't mind it on guitar. At the start of this project the singer decided to tune to Eb standard, but between the increased low end on the guitar and the tonal changes to the bass I was having trouble cutting through. Now I tune G#C#F#B a fourth up just to be awkward; definitely cuts through! I've got a spare bass in Eb for recording and found 115s solved most of the tension issues if not the sound.

• Like 1

I am due to be auditioning for a Celtic Metal band next month who play in Drop C and DGCF, a first for me.  Found my usual 45-105 lacking in tension unsurprisingly, taking delivery of a heavier set today but historically string thickness has always been more important that tension for me, so I may well stick with the 105's.  We shall see!

3 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

you seem to have missed the "but it wasn't a huge issue" part of my post

Didn't miss it, but if it was an issue at all wouldn't you have addressed it? Would have "done my napper in" as they say round here!

42 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Didn't miss it, but if it was an issue at all wouldn't you have addressed it? Would have "done my napper in" as they say round here!

nah, more that it wasn't an issue big enough to be worth bothering with.  It made absolutely no difference to the sound of the bass, and only a very minor change to the feel of the strings.

22 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

nah, more that it wasn't an issue big enough to be worth bothering with.  It made absolutely no difference to the sound of the bass, and only a very minor change to the feel of the strings.

Ah I see, not so big an issue then!