Why become a member? ×

No real love for Jaco

thebigyin

28 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I never asserted that Jamesons lines were written for him, of course they weren't, but he was expected to play to a chart and support the song. Yes he was given some freedom because he had great feel, time and taste, but he wasn't writing tunes is my point, the Funk Brothers were a machine, they simply cranked out (usually amazing) songs for singers, from charts.

I know right?! It's like Stairway To Heaven.....Jimmy Page was about 26 when he wrote that, I could play it when I was 16!!!! 

B|

Si

Nothing to do with ability,he's well above the copyists ,what makes him so special given the pool of players he swims in? The mention of being the original fretless player is a valid one.

19 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Opinion, yes. Sort of means a reason for or against. Where was your opinion ?  You just posted a big yawn.

If you see a thread title that has no interest for you,  move along. No one forced you here

I didn't realise you were the Basschat thread police. Good luck with that.

13 minutes ago, jazzmanb said:

Nothing to do with ability,he's well above the copyists ,what makes him so special given the pool of players he swims in? The mention of being the original fretless player is a valid one.

I'm not sure I understand your post in the context of my quote.

Si

18 minutes ago, jazzmanb said:

Possibly,i couldn't quite get how your reply related to my comment either so we're both doing well

Ah ok, it was your "impressive but there's lots of great players out there so i'm not sure why he gets the extra star or two" comment, so I replied with a joke about Jimmy Page. The joke could have been Jimmy Hendrix...."Oh Jimmi Hendrix was 25 (our whatever) when he write Voodoo Chile.....I could play it when I was 16". You take my point.

Essentially it was a comment about he wasn't just a great player, anyone can be a great player, but he was a trail-blazer.

Si

3 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Ah ok, it was your "impressive but there's lots of great players out there so i'm not sure why he gets the extra star or two" comment, so I replied with a joke about Jimmy Page. The joke could have been Jimmy Hendrix...."Oh Jimmi Hendrix was 25 (our whatever) when he write Voodoo Chile.....I could play it when I was 16". You take my point.

Essentially it was a comment about he wasn't just a great player, anyone can be a great player, but he was a trail-blazer.

Si

I thought that's what you meant lol !So my reply was anyone can copy and he was well above the anyone's ,but where is he in that elite pool above them and why the extra star ? ..i wasn't referring to the endless great YouTube copyists when i said great players .

22 minutes ago, jazzmanb said:

I thought that's what you meant lol !So my reply was anyone can copy and he was well above the anyone's ,but where is he in that elite pool above them and why the extra star ? ..i wasn't referring to the endless great YouTube copyists when i said great players .

By the same token, why does Jimmi Hendrix get an extra star? :)

i'd be interested to know the elite pool of electric bassists you're putting up against Jaco during his glory years?

Si

4 hours ago, Sibob said:

I never asserted that Jamesons lines were written for him, of course they weren't, but he was expected to play to a chart and support the song. Yes he was given some freedom because he had great feel, time and taste, but he wasn't writing tunes is my point, the Funk Brothers were a machine, they simply cranked out (usually amazing) songs for singers, from charts.

I know right?! It's like Stairway To Heaven.....Jimmy Page was about 26 when he wrote that, I could play it when I was 16!!!! 

B|

Si

Along with a million other 16 year olds around the world.

Blue

3 hours ago, Sibob said:

By the same token, why does Jimmi Hendrix get an extra star? :)

i'd be interested to know the elite pool of electric bassists you're putting up against Jaco during his glory years?

Si

Don’t know about an extra star. He certainly gets an extra “m”!

2 hours ago, Sibob said:

That's kinda the joke ;)

Si

Humor doesn't always transend in text.

My point, every 16 year old guitarist worth their salt in my neck of the woods at the time could nail Stairway To Heaven.

At the time you couldn't walk into a music store where some kid  wasn't playing it on a guitar he couldn't afford.

I think we're on the same page.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

On November 20, 2017 at 05:39, Bilbo said:

That Dry Cleaner From Des Moines clip is a 12 bar blues taken far out but there is nothing random about it. It isn't a Motown pop song. It is a Jazz blues and goes where it goes. It was clearly a showcase for Brecker and Jaco and Don Alias let go a bit. The rest of the gig was incredibly tasteful. In France The Kiss On Main Street is pure Jameson. 

+1 

I'm no huge Jaco fan but only because I really can't comprehend how someone can play at that level.

For example, right now I'm listening to a lot of Gary Lewis & The Playboys and Paul Revere & The Raiders. That stuff I can comprehend.

For the haters, imagine what it was like for us old guys. We started out listening to Paul McCartney and within a short period of time the instrument had evolved into what Jaco showed us.

We didn't see 40 years of other virtuosos.

In other words, you had to be there.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

13 hours ago, fleabag said:

Opinion, yes. Sort of means a reason for or against. Where was your opinion ?  You just posted a big yawn.

If you see a thread title that has no interest for you,  move along. No one forced you here

Very true....if i see a title to a thread that looks of no interest to me i would simply not bother looking 

21 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I don't really understand virtuoso players like Jaco, it's like watching someone type incredibly quickly but what they write is incomprehensible, to me anyway. I always think the playing should serve the song and the song not be a platform for virtuosity but then I'm an old punk so solos and such leave me cold. JJ Burnel is about as fancy as I want and he managed to play beautiful impressive bass lines that always served the song. Jah Wobble is my ideal he found peculiar grooves and once in them he barely moves, restraint and subservience to the groove is where it's at in my book. 

Jacob wasn't all about shredding.