Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass kit build refinish

Jimothey

21 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

This is where projects start to pay you back.  Up 'till the finishing processes they always seems to go slower than slow with nothing really to show you what it's going to be like.

I’m normally so impatient that I end up ruining the finish trying to rush it to get it done, but because the black hardware I knew wouldn’t get to me for a couple of weeks it gave me time to really let the finish dry before flattening and polishing it. 

But I think it came out ok for brush on poly in a certain angle I can see a few imperfections but I think it’s came up nice and flat enough 

Edited by Jimothey

12 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

It’s virtually finished just got to get some black ferrules so I can use my black tuners (but I couldn’t resist putting the originals on there) and get a bone nut then I can set it up

0D23DA76-57ED-4A56-B692-035C19D67308.thumb.jpeg.57329192f76241fa836968c0f33c1144.jpeg

6FA534EA-8B81-4F12-98B1-009BB0F9CCBB.thumb.jpeg.fc53fe26fc156b7b17b749b01a3f32cc.jpeg

I got all black hardware with my kit and, the way it turned out, I reckon you're going to be pleased when you have the right tuners.  Yours has got a beautiful grain that is flattered by the additional features of the plain black pick guard and control plate.  (I got black strap buttons too though.)

Edited by SpondonBassed

6 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I got all black hardware with my kit and, the way it turned out, I reckon you're going to be pleased when you have the right tuners.  Yours has got a beautiful grain that is flattered by the plain black pick guard and control plate.  (I got black strap buttons too.)

Yeah I forgot to buy the black strap buttons when I got the rest of my hardware :facepalm:

One thing I don’t like is the BWB pickguard so I’m going to black it off on the edge then I think it will look better 

Edited by Jimothey

17 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Is that dotted maroon material lined up to wrap the next build with?  I'm off!  Heeheehee

You’ve just gone and spoilt it I had a grand reveal planned!!!!

Red and white spotty body with lime green binding, diamanté pickguard and gold hardware I think I’m on to a winner!?! 

Edited by Jimothey

2 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

You’ve just gone and spoilt it I had a grand reveal planned!!!!

Red and white spotty body with lime green binding, diamanté pickguard and gold hardware I think I’m on to a winner!?! 

(Nips off to find a bucket with some degree of urgency)  Sure.  Knock yourself out.

The rest of the black hardware finally turned up I’ve just swapped over the tuners, strap buttons and string tree

So now the bass is finished apart from a setup 

DFCFB903-1B97-4843-8A37-89016AB43FAC.thumb.jpeg.f38f486210584a5d61cb21befa82d51b.jpegF643090B-C9A5-470F-99D5-82F7FC7AC894.thumb.jpeg.caa1958aa30f7bbfa1688547716b51aa.jpeg

Sorry for some reason the picture has gone a bit grainy 

I’m happy with the finished look it’s no frills and simple!! (Bit like me!!)O.o

1 down only 3 to go!!.........

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 5

• 5 months later...

Finally got round to do a setup on it! 

I definitely prefer playing this to my P but in my usual fashion I'm not happy with the finish so I'm going to refinish it

Because I've got a thing for Orange at the mo I've decided to go for it I'll post some pics tomorrow 😀 

Edited by Jimothey

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

Finally got round to do a setup on it! 

I definitely prefer playing this to my P but in my usual fashion I'm not happy with the finish so I'm going to refinish it

Because I've got a thing for Orange at the mo I've decided to go for it I'll post some pics tomorrow 😀 

you must of read my thoughts, I thought it would look bute ford st orange with black hardware