Why become a member? ×

1964 Precision - original string gauges?

Kevsy71

Having scored a wonderful '64 from a fellow BCer, may I ask if anyone knows the string gauges for which the nut would originally have been cut? At a rough guess it seems a light E (.100) and thick G (.50-ish), but any info much appreciated :)

This ad on Gumtree purports to be for an original 1960s set of Fender light gauge bass strings and gives the gauges as 50/64/80/95

- https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/1960-s-fender-bass-strings-genuine-new-old-stock-still-in-packaging-£95-ono/1272536060

1960's FENDER BASS STRINGS ‘GENUINE’ NEW OLD STOCK - STILL IN THEIR ORIGINAL PACKETS AND POLYTHENE SLEEVE!
F-80 SET LIGHT GAUGE STAINLESS STEEL FLAT WIRE ELECTRIC BASS STRINGS
1st – G-.050, 2nd – D-.064, 3rd – A-.080 4th – E-.095.

• Thanks 1

I put Chromes on my 64 - 45-105 and they are really nice.

The nut needed a bit of filing, but only a tiny bit to taste - I lowered the slots for an easier playing action. 

If it's going to be a player then get it set up for your chosen strings - don't worry about getting it to fit the nut as is - it won't affect the value a whole amount. In fact, in the real world even a swapped out but won't do much to the value. Keep the old one in the case. It could be refitted.

For vintage I would always prefer something playable rather than original - so frets, nut, saddles, wiring etc are fine by me. I personally wouldn't spend that sort of money on a bass that was just to look at..

1 minute ago, discreet said:

Or you could buy some new La Bella flats, as used by Jamerson, Duck Dunn et al on many hit records from the 60s and 70s...

Experience of a bunch of flats on my 64 has led me to a few conclusions - those older Fenders like a bit of tension (the TIs didn't work as well).

LaBellas were nice, but the Chromes gave the best tone - but only after about 3 months once they had dulled a bit...

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

LaBellas were nice, but the Chromes gave the best tone - but only after about 3 months once they had dulled a bit...

Yes, they are very bright at first which put me off a bit - also they seemed to be very high tension, which I found a alarming. I like fairly stiff strings, but these were like steel rods. I suppose I like at least a bit of give... don't like them too flexible or floppy, though... fnarr. La Bellas record very well - as you'd expect,  given the huge amount of evidence to support that statement!

5 minutes ago, discreet said:

Yes, they are very bright at first which put me off a bit - also they seemed to be very high tension, which I found a alarming. I like fairly stiff strings, but these were like steel rods. I suppose I like at least a bit of give... don't like them too flexible or floppy, though... fnarr. La Bellas record very well - as you'd expect,  given the huge amount of evidence to support that statement!

I had TIs on my 64 when I first got it. I never really felt that they were right, and tried Chromes as an experiment. 

At first the tension alarmed me too - I needed some real truss rod tweaking! However, some observations:

- The tension means I can get the neck really rod straight - and with an action of 1.5mm across the board it plays really really well

- It's more stable throughout the year - seems more balanced

- The tension does let up a bit as they bed in. I use TIs on another bass, and some labellas on another so it isn't just me getting used to them

- After 3 months they dull sufficiently to retain some chime but it's not dominant

23 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

The tension means I can get the neck really rod straight - and with an action of 1.5mm across the board it plays really really well.

Maybe I'll give Chromes another go... But I do love the sound and feel of LaBella 760FM. Obviously I need to buy another bass and fit Chromes to it...

Thanks everyone, great tips.  I've opted for La Bella 760FS (.45. .65 .85 .105) as my usual 760 FLs were rattling around at the G and D and too low tension - and just don't suit the 7.25 fingerboard radius (at least to my fingertips...). And I agree, the neck seems to like tension! Will report back when they're on tomorrow.

23 minutes ago, Meddle said:

For those considering Chromes, have you tried Jim Dunlop flats? I use them on a couple of basses. The black silks fray quite easily, which is annoying, but beyond that they sound a wee bit mellower than Chromes, are better tonally balanced out the packet and bed in quicker than Chromes as well. And they're about a fiver cheaper or so. 

I have tried a set - kept them on a bass for a while. After settling I would say Chromes are about the same tonally (not at first tho!)

I didn't like the feel of the Jim Dunlops as much tho - just didn't seem as slick