Why become a member? ×

Doubling question

yanto

I'm playing a theatre show(Beggar's Opera) which requires double bass and electric. To avoid having to buy a twin channel preamp, would this set up work?

Double bass into Headway into return of Streamliner amp, so only using power amp

Electric bass into normal input on Streamliner

DI out to desk from Streamliner

I'll be using a 10" cab for monitoring

I figured I could mute the Headway when using electric. Would there be any problems like no output from the power amp side if the front input is being used already? And also would there be output from the DI for the double bass this way?

Iain

Nope, it won't work as the effects section of the Streamliner is a series effects loop, meaning that when you plug your upright into the effects return you will no longer be able to run anything through the normal input on the front. Sorry.

Some amps have parallel effects loops, which would work as you've written, but not the Streamliner. 

Is your Headway the EDB-2 or EDB-1?

Edited by Gareth Hughes

Thanks Gareth

So would you just put both instruments into the line selector A and B inputs and then the output into the front of the Streamliner, or effects return? I do have another preamp for electric(Tonehammer) so that might work best

Cheers

Iain

Both into the A/B selector then it's either front input or effects return. I do love my Streamliner, but for upright it can be a little bit of a problem with the low end. Having said that, if you're happy with your electric sound through your Streamliner then you should be good with your upright too. Give it a try - only one way to find out. Definitely do a bedroom test - eq-ing an upright on the job can be a pain for sure.

The LS-2 is brilliant. 

Put bass A and it's effects chain (if any)  in Return A, and bass B in to Return B. Set the dial to the top position for toggling A<>B. Adjust the level of each channel, loudest first to 12 o'clock which is unity gain, and lastly adjust the weakest signal to be as loud as the first.

Problem solved!

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I've just remembered that I've got an E-fects Loop-E pedal which I bought years ago and have never used-this might do it. It's got 2 loop channels that have bypass on them, and a central switch marked T with a corresponding input-is this through? Can't find any info on net about it