Why become a member? ×

davie504 and other awful clickbait horror

project_c

11 hours ago, Meddle said:

You don't really want to discuss this, just wallow in your bitterness! 

Suggesting people deserve to be 'kicked in the balls' purely because you find their craft annoying isn't really an especially adult outlook on like. 

Katie Hopkins has a 'craft'? What an incredible shining talent. I hope nobody kicks her in her enormous hairy balls.

Also I think you're misinterpreting the overall tone of this thread. As I said right at the start, I know it's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, sometimes it's just good to have an over the top rant about things which are annoying. It's funny. Even if it does open up the topic to things which have more serious implications, which are interesting to discuss. 

(Maybe not for 7 pages though. You've said I was old and bitter 842 times now). Anyway i'm off to Bingo to shout at people and wee myself, I'll leave you to enjoy your My Little Pony movie and Davie fretless djent slap videos.

On 19/11/2017 at 09:31, musicbassman said:

You have to distinguish between 'entertainers' and musicians. There's a lot of pretty egoistic stuff on YouTube to wade through, and some of it is bxxxxy annoying, but as a learning resource it's still unequalled. Where else can you compare 8 bass players each doing their own covers of even fairly straightforward songs like Steely Dan's 'Josie' ?

The general standard of bass playing is so high now compared to the average player 20 years ago it still amazes me, and I think the internet is the main reason.

And some players are so good they don't need to go attention seeking - just check out anything where Rob Mullarkey is on the bass - what a supreme talent!

Yeah, I agree. Rob is fantastic. 

• 1 year later...
On 23/11/2017 at 01:13, adamneely said:

It’s not that I’m “fond” of it. It’s that my literal career depends on it. YouTube’s algorithm heavily promotes clicks, and the more times people click on a video, the more it gets recommended to you.

Consider my position, please. I want to create in-depth video essays, or good-faith critiques of other musicians to help them improve, or comment response videos answering questions from my viewers. This is what I want to do for a job, for a living, because I think I’m pretty good at it, and I have the opportunity to do so.

How should I title my videos? Should I appeal to your own personal sensibility of what titles should be? Remember, YouTube will bury it if I do. So, if I dont clickbait it, you won’t see it, and then nobody else will see it either.

I constantly have to play a game of how much I should clickbait, and what that clickbait looks like. It’s not something that I enjoy at all, so I hope you judge my stuff by the quality of what I offer in the video itself rather than how it’s packaged for you. Because there is little that I can do about that.

You don't do clickbait though from what I've seen. Sensational titles alone don't make clickbait. Clickbait by definition includes some form of deception. Like a title that says "this song's never been played on bass before" but it obviously has.

16 minutes ago, ChuckYeagerOnLSD said:

With clickbait I just go into my burner account and find a reason to pose as someone with a copyright claim. Don't like it? Don't resort to clickbait. If you can't make ends meet without clickbait, get a job you're competent at.

Are you the clickbait police? Honestly, just move on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChuckYeagerOnLSD said:

With clickbait I just go into my burner account and find a reason to pose as someone with a copyright claim. Don't like it? Don't resort to clickbait. If you can't make ends meet without clickbait, get a job you're competent at.

I dislike clickbait as much as anyone else but I appreciate that some good creators like Adam, Rick Beato etc do need to 'play the game' with clickbait titles. Idiots like you posting bogus copyright claims aren't doing anyone any favours. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChuckYeagerOnLSD said:

Welcome to Basschat.  What an impressive first post!

Now that you've got that off your chest, what's your rig like?  You can tell us all about it in the Introductions* section.

*Shoulder born chips are optional.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

On 19/11/2017 at 09:31, musicbassman said:

Where else can you compare 8 bass players each doing their own covers of even fairly straightforward songs like Steely Dan's 'Josie'

its that frissson of excitement that comes with wondering how many you have to view before you find one that has nailed the correct notes in the correct order with the proper groove  :ph34r:

• Like 1