Why become a member? ×

davie504 and other awful clickbait horror

project_c

On 11/26/2017 at 09:50, project_c said:

... music as a form of culture used to be interesting and important (to me anyway), because it was weird, and angry, and rebellious, and creative, and progressive.

The underground electronic music scene is all of those things you mention (to young people anyway); but it rarely features people playing bass guitar.

I think many of us are guilty of complaining that the music scene has become dull. But really, it’s us who have become dull, because we no longer take risks and look for new music in weird places.

11 hours ago, Skol303 said:

The underground electronic music scene is all of those things you mention (to young people anyway); but it rarely features people playing bass guitar.

I think many of us are guilty of complaining that the music scene has become dull. But really, it’s us who have become dull, because we no longer take risks and look for new music in weird places.

Funnily enough I follow certain aspects of the electronic music scene very closely, because I used to be involved with it prior to playing bass. The problem is really not dullness - there is some crazy new electronic music out there, the problem is making a living from it.

The whole notion of a group of friends or a small scene getting together and generating an income from making tunes, putting them out on a small home-run independent label and putting on nights to promote that stuff is so much more difficult now than it used to be.

It's easier in terms of the technology, sure - making music is easier, getting your music and information to people is easier. Generating an income from that however - one that will pay your mortgage and feed a family - that is much more difficult than it used to be.

4 hours ago, project_c said:

...Generating an income from that however - one that will pay your mortgage and feed a family - that is much more difficult than it used to be.

Probably not much money to be earned building cathedral models from matchsticks, either, despite the enormous devotion and skill put in. Growing prize-winning marrows doesn't butter many parsnips, either. Poets in their garrets are not eating very well (if they can even afford a garret; it's always been a luxury...). Historically, most 'arts' were paid for by kind or enlightened patrons, who would support the stuff that they believed in. It's never been easy being an artist, in whatever field; the recently past boom in careers in music is not the 'normality'; rather the exception. Should it be so..? A moot point.

5 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Probably not much money to be earned building cathedral models from matchsticks, either, despite the enormous devotion and skill put in. Growing prize-winning marrows doesn't butter many parsnips, either. Poets in their garrets are not eating very well (if they can even afford a garret; it's always been a luxury...). Historically, most 'arts' were paid for by kind or enlightened patrons, who would support the stuff that they believed in. It's never been easy being an artist, in whatever field; the recently past boom in careers in music is not the 'normality'; rather the exception. Should it be so..? A moot point.

You're essentially saying that historically, creativity is not perceived to have any intrinsic value, which is not true. Societies have defined themselves through the arts for thousands of years. Have you ever been to a museum or gallery? It's full of 'art' things which people consider to be of immense value. 

Music is a form of self expression, and it's a complex form of communication, which we as a species tend to really like and find important. It's not quite the same as growing a big marrow, which is essentially just what it is, a big marrow.

Without creative thinking to help us get ideas and evolve, we'd still be throwing our own faeces at each other in caves. (Some of us still do, and i'm sure it's a lot of fun).

It's a common misconception that artists are just farting around like a bunch of fairies, while clever people make machines and houses. The fact is those clever but bland people need the ideas of creative people, and equally those creative people need the clever people to give them direction and make sense of their weird garbled ideas.

When creativity is undervalued, you end up with unhappy and bland societies who are stupid and depressed. Artists make a valuable contribution to societies so I personally think it's better when artists are able to make a living and feed their kids.

14 minutes ago, project_c said:

You're essentially saying that historically, creativity is not perceived to have any intrinsic value...

... and I maintain that view, if one is referring to the monetary value placed at the time on the artist's work (although I'd prefer 'much intrinsic value', rather than the extreme of 'any'...). The present-day 'valuation' of specific works (mostly 'concrete', rather than ephemeral...) seems to be more from a speculative point of view rather that to support the art itself, especially in the artist's own lifetime..! I'm not sure just what kind of living a lutist could make in the 14th century, nor even a member of a successful orchestra in Edwardian times, but I'm pretty certain few had the equivalent of a Bentley, and some had a hard time feeding their families. Does that mean that I, myself, see little value in Art..? Of course not, and I fully agree with your sentiments expressed concerning the dangers of neglecting these aspects of our lives. It's nevertheless just an occupation like another: farmer, bus driver, office cleaner, nurse etc, but with very few places at the top. None of the aforementioned have a 'gravy train'; musicians are no different. Making ends meet has always been difficult, for everyone, and will always be so, I reckon (except, of course, for the very few...).

Edited by Dad3353

2 hours ago, BassBus said:

The link below goes some way to supporting Dad3353's comments. So many artists and composers through history have died penniless but today we see them as major contributers and influences in their field.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/28010/10-cultural-giants-who-died-coinless

Sure, making money has never been that easy. All I'm really saying is it's sad if the only people making money from music are children's party clowns, while all that music culture we value so much evaporates. I'll never get how that is a good thing.

PewDiePie and his musical equivalents are not a cultural phenomenon, or an evolution, they're symbols of cultural decline, right up there with Kanye West, The Only Way is Essex, Katie Hopkins and every other shouty attention seeking knob head out there. These people should not be celebrated, they should be kicked in the balls. In my view anyway. 

10 hours ago, steve-bbb said:

I saw this character on another clip where, at the end, he drinks a large glass of what looks like milk then goes to throw up out of sight of the camera.  Why does he want to share this behaviour with the world?  Does he think it is the way forward?

In the light of this, D504 can easily be forgiven.  That's assuming you think he's done anything wrong of course.

5 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I saw this character on another clip where, at the end, he drinks a large glass of what looks like milk then goes to throw up out of sight of the camera.  Why does he want to share this behaviour with the world?  Does he think it is the way forward?

In the light of this, D504 can easily be forgiven.  That's assuming you think he's done anything wrong of course.

I very much doubt that he thinks it's "the way forward".

Far more likely it's because he's an extrovert and enjoys the attention he gets.

I've got a gig with a jazz trio tomorrow night, I'm going to use that Korean lady as a source of inspiration and put on a pretty dress, and throw up a gallon of milk all over myself during my bass solo for "My Funny Valentine". It will add some much needed 'pizazz' to an otherwise mediocre performance. 

52 minutes ago, project_c said:

I've got a gig with a jazz trio tomorrow night, I'm going to use that Korean lady as a source of inspiration and put on a pretty dress, and throw up a gallon of milk all over myself during my bass solo for "My Funny Valentine". It will add some much needed 'pizazz' to an otherwise mediocre performance. 

I bet it rapidly gets really cheesy.

Want a cracker?