Why become a member? ×

davie504 and other awful clickbait horror

project_c

Just now, SpondonBassed said:

I think we should invite this person, who I gather is a bassist, to join BC and give his side of it.  If he isn't already here that is.

I imagine it would go something like:

"I enjoy playing bass, i'm alright at it, I made some videos, list them with a title that fairly accurately relates to the content, some people watch them".

I'm almost certain that he doesn't have the time or inclination to defend himself against those in his extended community (bass players). He's happy, he's helping infinitely more people than he's hurting. Again, good luck to him.

Si

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the videos where he speaks he comes across as modest and soft spoken.  He seems like a nice guy who enjoys making silly videos.  He's pretty handy on the bass too.  As far as I can tell his only crime is pulling silly faces for the thumbnails of his videos.. Well, that and being young.

Sure - he's not for you. You are in no means in his demographic. You may as well spend your time getting annoyed with TV adverts for CBeebies.

As a guitar manufacturer. And also as somebody who has worked with Davie504 - I think you're missing something very important.

People like him are VITAL in getting young people interested in playing the bass. Kids (largely) don't care a stinky poo about what famous rock star plays what bass. But what kids DO do is watch a lot of youtube.

I have kids coming to my stand at guitar shows *specifically* because of Davie.

So what that recent "The Guitar is Dead" article https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/lifestyle/the-slow-secret-death-of-the-electric-guitar/?utm_term=.ce7968ff795a didn't take into account was the effect that these youtube players are having on sales.

Just my 2 cents. :)

**EDIT haha. love the censorship applied to my post. "stinky poo" :D

Edited by Chownybass
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, discreet said:

I spend my waking hours trying not to have the hell bugged out of me, but it gets increasingly more difficult over time and t'internet doesn't help. But you can walk away from it and make some coffee. Unlike those irritating situations in meatspace that have to be addressed in real time, dammit! ;)

Incidentally, are you wishing you hadn't started this now? xD

Well it's just a ligh-hearted anger fuelled rant really, it makes for a good discussion. I'm not actually sitting at my computer red-faced and screaming at the screen whilst watching YouTube.

But it does bring up interesting issues on a wider scale, about how we see the future of music, and about how we quantify musical value in this age of stupidity.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chownybass said:

Sure - he's not for you. You are in no means in his demographic. You may as well spend your time getting annoyed with TV adverts for CBeebies.

As a guitar manufacturer. And also as somebody who has worked with Davie504 - I think you're missing something very important.

People like him are VITAL in getting young people interested in playing the bass. Kids (largely) don't care a stinky poo about what famous rock star plays what bass. But what kids DO do is watch a lot of youtube.

I have kids coming to my stand at guitar shows *specifically* because of Davie.

So what that recent "The Guitar is Dead" article https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/lifestyle/the-slow-secret-death-of-the-electric-guitar/?utm_term=.ce7968ff795a didn't take into account was the effect that these youtube players are having on sales.

Just my 2 cents. :)

**EDIT haha. love the censorship applied to my post. "stinky poo" :D

This is exactly the point though - is this really how we want it to be? Kids used to get into playing because of the music - as a strong cultural / political force (and also to get girls) - but now we're stuck with having to put up with these clowns tapping Super Mario death metal on a 47 string Ibanez with nothing to say. Apart from "look at me". It's douche baggery on a global scale.

2 minutes ago, project_c said:

This is exactly the point though - is this really how we want it to be? Kids used to get into playing because of the music - as a strong cultural / political force (and also to get girls) - but now we're stuck with having to put up with these clowns tapping Super Mario death metal on a 47 string Ibanez with nothing to say. Apart from "look at me". It's douche baggery on a global scale.

Not one of the kids who came and played the bass at my stand did anything douchebaggy. They just banged out some tunes. Just because that's what gets them interested doesn't mean that's what they're going to do.

5 minutes ago, project_c said:

The words "used to" are the operative words here. That was in the past and in case you haven't noticed the world has moved on quite a way since the 1970s. All that matters is that kids play music. It doesn't matter a hoot where their inspiration comes from. The generation gap can hold a great deal back. Things change and we all have to accept that.

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I think we should invite this person, who I gather is a bassist, to join BC and give his side of it.  If he isn't already here that is.

He was at the London Bass Guitar Show in 2016, quite tall as I remember. 

I use YouTube to find things I am interested in. The recommended videos are often really useful. I'm not forced to watch anything, I type in or click on what I want to watch. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, project_c said:

Fair enough. If I think of him less as a musician and more as a modern day Edd the Duck, it makes me feel better.

Here now.  Criticising youtubers is one thing, but I won't hear a word said against that duck.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

A wise graffiti renderer once wrote above the cistern, Eat **** because billions of flies can't be  wrong.

But the wisdom isn't in oneself eating the poop; it's in getting someone else to pay you $2 each time one of those flies does so.

Here endeth the lesson in how to commodify YouTube. Or maybe PooTube :)

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

When the balloon goes up and I'm put in charge I'm going to make posting bass reviews that only have slap in them an offence punishable by electric chair.

When I'm in charge, this guy is the only person who gets to post youtube reviews of basses...

5 minutes ago, Sibob said:

IMG_7877.JPG.3834ffe6df71f546095bcbf3df340576.JPG

If the 2 things are the same to you, you and I see music in very different ways. 

If you want to bring Yoda into this, we can take him as an analogy. On one hand you have the original Yoda, who was wise, powerful and mysterious. Then you have the 'new' Yoda, who is basically a bunch of artificial CG nonsense, doing fanboy-pleasing Yoda clichès, and prancing around the screen wiggling his sword around like a twat.

To some, there's no difference, to others there's no comparison. 

21 minutes ago, project_c said:

If the 2 things are the same to you, you and I see music in very different ways. 

If you want to bring Yoda into this, we can take him as an analogy. On one hand you have the original Yoda, who was wise, powerful and mysterious. Then you have the 'new' Yoda, who is basically a bunch of artificial CG nonsense, doing fanboy-pleasing Yoda clichès, and prancing around the screen wiggling his sword around like a twat.

To some, there's no difference, to others there's no comparison. 

The image of the troll-like creature should be a clue here.  It made me laugh anyway.

18 hours ago, project_c said:

Kids used to get into playing because of the music - as a strong cultural / political force (and also to get girls) 

The "Kids" were and are of both genders and all sexual persuasions. Some of them may, or may not, have been trying to get boys.

Edited by arthurhenry

8 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

The "Kids" were and are of both genders and all sexual persuasions. Some of them may, or may not, have been trying to get boys.

Good point.  I only 'got into' it because I was matey with a family of musicians and I was press ganged.  I didn't need the music as an accessory to puberty.  In fact teenagers need no excuse whatsover.  They are horny all of the time.