Why become a member? ×

davie504 and other awful clickbait horror

project_c

8 minutes ago, Skol303 said:

You're not going to earn much money... ...if your modus operandi is quiet modesty...

Oh hell, so that's where I've been going wrong...

9 minutes ago, Skol303 said:

...it's the way YouTube has gone; there's no turning back; you're only going to see more of it in future....

Not me, I avoid all this persiflage by simply not looking at YouTube. :) Now where's my valve radio, it's time for John Snagge on the news...

3 hours ago, Skol303 said:

Being a 'YouTuber' is now a career path and it's possible to earn very good money from it. As an extreme example, the most prolific YouTuber, a game reviewer called PewDiePie, earns an average of $12 million a year in advertising based on having over 50 million subscribers (that's not too far off the entire population of the UK).

The most successful YouTubers are, by the nature of what they do, attention-seekers. It's what pays their bills. You're not going to earn much money in this arena if your modus operandi is quiet modesty.

This may bug the hell out of some people, granted. But it's the way YouTube has gone; there's no turning back; you're only going to see more of it in future. And if it offers musicians a new way of earning a decent crust, then I'm all for it.

So yeah. The world changes. Stuff happens. Etc... :D

PS: never encountered Rob Mullarkey before. Love his playing! Very nice.

Very true, was in a meeting about this yesterday where everyone over thirty was staggered we would pay for someone to Instagram a photo of one of our products. Unfortunately it's in every aspect of work, I saw someone taking photos of the food in front of him at a conference then "tweeting" it or whatever he did. The conference was nothing to do with food, but he felt the need to show his 'followers' that along with some comment. Apparently you need a social media presence no matter what you do. I've thought of it for my professional life then immediately given myself a thrashing for having such a stupid thought. 

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Apparently you need a social media presence no matter what you do. I've thought of it for my professional life then immediately given myself a thrashing for having such a stupid thought. 

Similar here. I ‘get it’. It’s something we get involved in at work. But it’s not something I do much of myself. After checking email and posting crap on here, I can’t be arsed with much else in the way of digital socializing ;)

9 hours ago, Skol303 said:

Being a 'YouTuber' is now a career path and it's possible to earn very good money from it. As an extreme example, the most prolific YouTuber, a game reviewer called PewDiePie, earns an average of $12 million a year in advertising based on having over 50 million subscribers (that's not too far off the entire population of the UK).

The most successful YouTubers are, by the nature of what they do, attention-seekers. It's what pays their bills. You're not going to earn much money in this arena if your modus operandi is quiet modesty.

This may bug the hell out of some people, granted. But it's the way YouTube has gone; there's no turning back; you're only going to see more of it in future. And if it offers musicians a new way of earning a decent crust, then I'm all for it.

Its musicians making dicks of themselves and prancing around for attention like a bunch of kids with ADD. If you think that's a great way to make a living, great, but I don't. 

Have you actually seen PewDiePie?? The guy is a gigantic twat sitting in his bedroom and shouting at video games. It's the most retarded thing on earth. 

These are only good sources of revenue in the same way as Primark and McDonalds are good sources of revenue. It's stupid garbage for the lowest common dominator. I'm not ok with it. (yes I know nobody cares, but I like a rant).

• Like 2

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are confident and the intelligent are full of doubt.

- Bertrand Russell

Note: This isn't the actual quote but apparently you can't type cee-oh-cee-kay without it being changed to 'pink torpedo'. Which is pretty bloody stupid.

Edited by discreet

33 minutes ago, project_c said:

Have you actually seen PewDiePie??

No.

35 minutes ago, project_c said:

The guy is a gigantic twat sitting in his bedroom and shouting at video games. It's the most retarded thing on earth. 

It's stupid garbage for the lowest common d[en]ominator. 

So why do you watch it? Have you considered starting your own youtube channel in which you sit in your bedroom shouting at stupid retarded youtube videos? You never know, you could be onto a winner there.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Earbrass said:

No.

So why do you watch it? Have you considered starting your own youtube channel in which you sit in your bedroom shouting at stupid retarded youtube videos? You never know, you could be onto a winner there.

Go and actually watch some of this stuff and then come back and tell me it's not horrible. Just because something is a 'source of income' it doesn't mean it's automatically good. Selling crack is a source of income.

On 11/18/2017 at 23:34, project_c said:

I'm sure there's been a few threads about this but oh my god, this kind of hyperactive attention whore-ishness represents everything I hate about the internet...

And yet you wrote a topic title that is a shining example of clickbait.  I mean, I didn't even know what a D504 was.  I searched the Internet and found it was one of these:

Clickbait.  Open at your own risk

Edited by SpondonBassed

12 hours ago, Skol303 said:

Similar here. I ‘get it’. It’s something we get involved in at work. But it’s not something I do much of myself. After checking email and posting crap on here, I can’t be arsed with much else in the way of digital socializing ;)

It's interesting how folk include browsing digital media in their set of social skills to the detriment of being able to hold a real time conversation when needed.  They think they are better off socially.

How many shops have I visited where I thought they would appreciate my business only to tell me to go online before going back to their smarties?  And they wonder why high street shopping suffers.  It's ludicrous.  I have taken the time to visit the shop and they have told me to go elsewhere.  It's a polite way of telling you to Foxtrot Oscar, nothing more and nothing less.

Grrrr.  Can't we go back to the days when shop counters were populated by bright young things who were just in the crucial stage of decorating their nails when you inconveniently presented yourself before them?  It might mean less nail bars taking the place of music shops where you can go and buy strings right off the shelf for one thing!

Bah!

@ the OP; It's only the Internet at the end of the day if that's of any comfort to you.  Just pull the plug if it irks you to that extent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, project_c said:

Go and actually watch some of this stuff and then come back and tell me it's not horrible. Just because something is a 'source of income' it doesn't mean it's automatically good. Selling crack is a source of income.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed, seeing as the guy has hundreds of thousands (perhaps millions, I've not looked recently) of subscribers. Just because YOU think it's crap, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't find it useful in some way. But equally no-one has said it's 'good because he's popular', but you have to assume it's 'good' to the vast majority of his subscribers.

And if you're seriously likening him, and the many like him, playing bass on YouTube to selling crack, then I think this thread is done, because that's idiotic!

For what it's worth, I couldn't care less about his content, I find it quite boring....but massive luck to him!

Si

12 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Your argument is fundamentally flawed, seeing as the guy has hundreds of thousands (perhaps millions, I've not looked recently) of subscribers. Just because YOU think it's crap, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't find it useful in some way. But equally no-one has said it's 'good because he's popular', but you have to assume it's 'good' to the vast majority of his subscribers.

And if you're seriously likening him, and the many like him, playing bass on YouTube to selling crack, then I think this thread is done, because that's idiotic!

For what it's worth, I couldn't care less about his content, I find it quite boring....but massive luck to him!

Si

Calm down, it's just a silly analogy. I'm just saying you can't judge quality based on whether it makes someone money or not. Crack is a lucrative business with lots of followers who find it useful, delicious and a tad moreish. If some guy is making millions selling it, it just makes him a clever entrepreneur, so jolly good luck to him?

Unfortunately being a "vlogger" is somehow a career. Just don't get too popular or you're no longer "influential", apparently. Mainstream isn't cool! Sorry, I'm deviating from the op a little but I had to listen to a load of this guff in a marketing meeting. Major retailers pay tens of thousands to bedroom webcam ranters and show offs to mention their products, it's another form of advertising, or even for them to wear something and not mention it. Celebrities get paid to mention a product on twitter, now I can understand why you'd want the same footy boots as Ronaldo but why would you want the same loo paper as a coronation Street actor....?

Like everything, the modern world will always change in ways that baffle the over thirties. We just don't have to join in with it! So we don't have to listen to Scott Devine's "six reasons five strings suck" (they don't, he even says so) and we don't have to LOL at Davie whatever he is. We don't have to watch it. We still have choice... For now.

20 minutes ago, project_c said:

Calm down, it's just a silly analogy. I'm just saying you can't judge quality based on whether it makes someone money or not. Crack is a lucrative business with lots of followers who find it useful, delicious and a tad moreish. If some guy is making millions selling it, it just makes him a clever entrepreneur, so jolly good luck to him?

You seem to be struggling with the fact that there's a fundamental contextual difference between something that ruins lives and kills people.....and bass playing on YouTube.

Si 

As far as click bait is concerned... I really don't care if the content is good. The more people watching the videos, the more the advertisers pay the person who uploaded the video (something like $2 per 1000 views) and the more chance there is that more videos will be made. Aimee Nolte is a great example of someone who is uploading fantastic material but getting around 5 to 10 thousand views... that doesn't make for a sustainable income. I've no idea if re-titling her videos "How not to suck at jazz" would bring in more viewers though...

Just to put it all in perspective, counting up his video views, Davie504 has uploaded 312 videos in the last 6 years... roughly one a week. They've drawn an average of 580k views and, in total, he's had 181 million views. If the $2/1000 view rule applies here (and it does vary depending on the channel...)  he could be taking $60k per year gross. 

3 hours ago, project_c said:

No thanks; I believe you when you say it's the "most retarded thing on earth", and that it's "stupid garbage for the lowest common denominator". That's why it's the sort of thing I would never watch. 

. The question is, why do you watch it? 

Edited by Earbrass

2 hours ago, Sibob said:

For what it's worth, I couldn't care less about his content, I find it quite boring....but massive luck to him

This sums it up in a nutshell for me.

People can argue till they're purple about how bad some the content is on YouTube, but there'll always be quite literally millions of people who think the opposite. They can't all be wrong. Yes, the likes of PewDiePie are an - ahem - 'acquired taste' and not for me. But they're young entrepreneurs earning shedloads of cash off their own backs. And if they achieve that pratting around on the internet then why the hell not? Same goes for the numerous YouTube musicians. It's a world away from grinding out small change playing pub gigs; but god knows the music industry needs some new ways of earning a living right now.

If you don't like it, heed the old adage of Why Don't You and "go do something less boring instead". Meanwhile, the World Wide Web will keep turning, leaving us oldsters in its wake ;)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Skol303 said:

This sums it up in a nutshell for me.

People can argue till they're purple about how bad some the content is on YouTube, but there'll always be quite literally millions of people who think the opposite. They can't all be wrong. Yes, the likes of PewDiePie are an - ahem - 'acquired taste' and not for me. But they're young entrepreneurs earning shedloads of cash off their own backs. And if they achieve that pratting around on the internet then why the hell not? Same goes for the numerous YouTube musicians. It's a world away from grinding out small change playing pub gigs; but god knows the music industry needs some new ways of earning a living right now.

If you don't like it, heed the old adage of Why Don't You and "go do something less boring instead". Meanwhile, the World Wide Web will keep turning, leaving us oldsters in its wake ;)

A wise graffiti renderer once wrote above the cistern, Eat **** because billions of flies can't be  wrong.

Other advice on YT consumption is available too.

Edited by SpondonBassed

22 hours ago, Skol303 said:

Very true.

Like The Beatles, YouTube Clickbating is here to stay.

When we are all playing Virtual Bowls, at least we can say “We were there”.

:D

Edited by lowdown

1 hour ago, Earbrass said:

No thanks; I believe you when you say it's the "most retarded thing on earth", and that it's "stupid garbage for the lowest common denominator". That's why it's the sort of thing I would never watch. 

. The question is, why do you watch it? 

Just to clarify - I don't watch, i'm just sick of seeing his punchable face popping up in every bass related yt search, like a slap bass goblin from a recurring nightmare. Read the start of the thread. I never said it was an earth shattering problem, just something that bugs the hell out of me. Same applies to the other showoffs. It's like wading through a festival of OCD.

Edited by project_c

5 minutes ago, project_c said:

I never said it was an earth shattering problem, just something that bugs the hell out of me.

I spend my waking hours trying not to have the hell bugged out of me, but it gets increasingly more difficult over time and t'internet doesn't help. But you can walk away from it and make some coffee. Unlike those irritating situations in meatspace that have to be addressed in real time, dammit! ;)

Incidentally, are you wishing you hadn't started this now? xD