Why become a member? ×

davie504 and other awful clickbait horror

project_c

I'm sure there's been a few threads about this but oh my god, this kind of hyperactive attention whore-ishness represents everything I hate about the internet. I see that annoying face and the awful clickbait every time I look at YouTube, there is just no getting away from it. You search for anything to do with bass, and bang, there he is, with 4 thousand novelty party trick videos, pulling stupid YouTube faces and pointing at 12 string novelty basses. "Finally, a funky fretless 19 string slap bass jam! Leave a comment, like and subscribe LOL etc smiley face" ad infinitum. Jesus christ.

Yes I'm sure these guys are all very talented and special, but when I see this stuff, all I see is a bunch of ballerinas prancing around for attention. Anyone remember a time when people got laughed at for being attention-seeking show-offs? Those days are long gone.

Now I know this is a rant and I'm being rude, and I'm obviously in the minority, because 1 million followers blah blah, and I know it's a 'business model' blah blah.. but it annoys the living crap out of me personally. Stock Aitken Waterman was also a business model, and their pinnacle was 'The Reynolds Girls'. Just because something is a 'business model' it does not mean it's good. There are people like Adam Neely out there who also have a trillion followers, and they're not resorting to this stuff.

No disrespect to anyone who loves it obvs, just my personal view. /end rant

(I also hate 'Remco Hendrix', and that german guy with the ridiculous massive beard, and every other o.c.d. novelty internet show-off out there). 

• Like 7

I understand your point of view.

But, it’s the same like you would get pissed off about the comments under the videos. There’s nothing you can do about it. Hate is a strong feeling, not necessarily a good one either. These guys do it for living, and they need people to click on their videos to get paid. And YouTube makes it super hard for them. If they still manage to make a living out of it - I say well done. Just another point of view.

But I do know what you mean, it gets annoying sometimes when that’s the only thing you see when typing “Bass”.

• Like 2

You have to distinguish between 'entertainers' and musicians. There's a lot of pretty egoistic stuff on YouTube to wade through, and some of it is bxxxxy annoying, but as a learning resource it's still unequalled. Where else can you compare 8 bass players each doing their own covers of even fairly straightforward songs like Steely Dan's 'Josie' ?

The general standard of bass playing is so high now compared to the average player 20 years ago it still amazes me, and I think the internet is the main reason.

And some players are so good they don't need to go attention seeking - just check out anything where Rob Mullarkey is on the bass - what a supreme talent!

• Like 3

...and sometimes some people take the internet a little too seriously.

These things come up on our recommendations cause click on them. If we didn't click on them YouTube's algorithm would soon give us many other recommendations. That guy seldom comes up on mine but he will now that I have looked at him once. He's good at what he does and a lot of people watch him. He must be doing something right.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I must be lucky. I use You Tube a lot for bass related stuff and I've never heard of him.

+1

Where do people find the time to discover these awful people? And where do people find the time to stick around long enough to get annoyed by them?

xD

• Like 1

You could try blocking his channel on YouTube (Go to the channel page, click on the About tab, click on the little flag icon and select Block User) That should stop his videos appearing in you suggestions, I think.

I think he's great, but I've no interest in actually watching his videos and I'd get frustrated too if my suggested videos list was full of his stuff.

12 hours ago, project_c said:

There are people like Adam Neely out there who also have a trillion followers, and they're not resorting to this stuff.

(I also hate 'Remco Hendrix', and that german guy with the ridiculous massive beard, and every other o.c.d. novelty internet show-off out there). 

Adam is clearly very knowledgeable and articulate, however, he does resort to "this stuff". For example "My students are full of $@!& How to not suck at music". He's quite fond of having "Suck" in big letters in his video titles amongst other "Clickbait" style provocative wording.

But, these guys all have youtube account managers that tutor them in what's required to promote their channel. And let's be honest, most of the great and the good on youtube have now moved over to 'clickbait' attention grabbing thumbnails.

I find it interesting how these youtube channels refer to their viewers as anything other than 'customers'?

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

+1

Where do people find the time to discover these awful people? And where do people find the time to stick around long enough to get annoyed by them?

xD

Yes I know it's a bit of a first world problem, in the grand scheme of things it's no big deal but maybe see it as a more general comment about the state of things. Musicians with integrity and a quiet confidence used to be considered a lot more interesting and credible than the cheesy show-offs poncing around on stage. These YouTube guys are like a modern day Liberace, prancing about for attention like a bunch of annoying children high on sugar. So much music that was popular in the past wouldn't stand a chance in these ponce-infested times. 

I don't mind his videos, he looks like he is enjoying himself. A lot of what he does isn't really my cup of tea. It's like John Virgo doing trick shots in the intervals at the snooker (yes I live in 1988) or footballers doing the crossbar challenge and keepyuppy tricks, fun and not to be taken too seriously. Just my take on it.

Edited by interpol52
  • Like 1

On 19/11/2017 at 09:31, musicbassman said:

You have to distinguish between 'entertainers' and musicians. There's a lot of pretty egoistic stuff on YouTube to wade through, and some of it is bxxxxy annoying, but as a learning resource it's still unequalled. Where else can you compare 8 bass players each doing their own covers of even fairly straightforward songs like Steely Dan's 'Josie' ?

The general standard of bass playing is so high now compared to the average player 20 years ago it still amazes me, and I think the internet is the main reason.

And some players are so good they don't need to go attention seeking - just check out anything where Rob Mullarkey is on the bass - what a supreme talent!

I think Rob is just brilliant. (shes very good too!!) but as bass players go Rob is just head and shoulders above the crowd. Thanks for posting

It’s not that I’m “fond” of it. It’s that my literal career depends on it. YouTube’s algorithm heavily promotes clicks, and the more times people click on a video, the more it gets recommended to you.

Consider my position, please. I want to create in-depth video essays, or good-faith critiques of other musicians to help them improve, or comment response videos answering questions from my viewers. This is what I want to do for a job, for a living, because I think I’m pretty good at it, and I have the opportunity to do so.

How should I title my videos? Should I appeal to your own personal sensibility of what titles should be? Remember, YouTube will bury it if I do. So, if I dont clickbait it, you won’t see it, and then nobody else will see it either.

I constantly have to play a game of how much I should clickbait, and what that clickbait looks like. It’s not something that I enjoy at all, so I hope you judge my stuff by the quality of what I offer in the video itself rather than how it’s packaged for you. Because there is little that I can do about that.

On 11/19/2017 at 07:05, arthurhenry said:

Adam is clearly very knowledgeable and articulate, however, he does resort to "this stuff". For example "My students are full of $@!& How to not suck at music". He's quite fond of having "Suck" in big letters in his video titles amongst other "Clickbait" style provocative wording.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, adamneely said:

It’s not that I’m “fond” of it. It’s that my literal career depends on it. YouTube’s algorithm heavily promotes clicks, and the more times people click on a video, the more it gets recommended to you.

Consider my position, please. I want to create in-depth video essays, or good-faith critiques of other musicians to help them improve, or comment response videos answering questions from my viewers. This is what I want to do for a job, for a living, because I think I’m pretty good at it, and I have the opportunity to do so.

How should I title my videos? Should I appeal to your own personal sensibility of what titles should be? Remember, YouTube will bury it if I do. So, if I dont clickbait it, you won’t see it, and then nobody else will see it either.

I constantly have to play a game of how much I should clickbait, and what that clickbait looks like. It’s not something that I enjoy at all, so I hope you judge my stuff by the quality of what I offer in the video itself rather than how it’s packaged for you. Because there is little that I can do about that.

Adam - I wouldn't sweat the clickbait titles. I've watched enough of your videos to trust that the next one is worth watching irregardless of  its title. The same is opposite for other folks videos - no title would convince me to spend my time on them.

On 18/11/2017 at 23:34, project_c said:

I'm sure there's been a few threads about this but oh my god, this kind of hyperactive attention whore-ishness represents everything I hate about the internet.

Being a 'YouTuber' is now a career path and it's possible to earn very good money from it. As an extreme example, the most prolific YouTuber, a game reviewer called PewDiePie, earns an average of $12 million a year in advertising based on having over 50 million subscribers (that's not too far off the entire population of the UK).

The most successful YouTubers are, by the nature of what they do, attention-seekers. It's what pays their bills. You're not going to earn much money in this arena if your modus operandi is quiet modesty.

This may bug the hell out of some people, granted. But it's the way YouTube has gone; there's no turning back; you're only going to see more of it in future. And if it offers musicians a new way of earning a decent crust, then I'm all for it.

So yeah. The world changes. Stuff happens. Etc... :D

PS: never encountered Rob Mullarkey before. Love his playing! Very nice.

Edited by Skol303
numpty
  • Thanks 1