Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

Just now, Bridgehouse said:

There was a distinct amount of trouser flap. Also much vibration and much rib cage rumbling.

There were quite a few guitarists there with some big big amps who all universally said "&)@;&) me that's loud.."

Rock n roll is dead, man.

Did you replace the smell of weed and lines of coke with a Haze plugin and sherbet dibdab too?

You have a lot to answer for young man.

• Haha 2

On a serious note, and for anyone who is actually interested - it held up very well with a drummer and 4 (!) guitars.. I was adjusting volume down quite a bit... 

No funny noises, no parping, and loads of bottom end. I suspect the k12.2 would have been far too much for the room. 

I was originally going to run it out to the PA as well - but quickly came to the conclusion that it would be total overkill

• Thanks 1

Just now, stingrayPete1977 said:

So what we've learnt is that a speaker designed to relay an entire live band at volumes higher than the band itself can easily cope with just dealing with a single bass guitar, who'da thunkit? :)

Well, yes. But, well, yes. And possibly no. But mostly yes. 

Mostly I was impressed by the noise floor, and just how much air it moved.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2017 at 17:11, EBS_freak said:

The RCFs 735 and 745s are great due to the quality of the speakers that they use in them... (there's literally nothing else out there at that price point, especially in lightweight non wood cabs) The only perceivable downside, is that they don't look like a bass cab... I don't know if that's important to you or not. I know a couple of people who have made faux cabs (just a frame, with a vintage cloth over the front and black tolex and the hardware) that has the PA speakers inside. One guy I know lies the cab down inside so it's in the wedge position... so in a traditional setup with the amp behind you, at least you have a better chance of hearing everything when it's pointing at your head!

There's loads of ways that you could use these setups... as I have hinted to earlier, I favour the FOH doing all the work... but a decent PA cab could serve as both an excellent wedge for pointing back to you (with the mix of all the band in it also)... or excellent backline when it's behind you and you need to rely on just that to get your bass heard.

Both cabs mentioned are readily available at places that deal with PA... for example, if you can get yourself to a PMT, you'll be able to play through the Helix and both the RCF and QSC offerings... and see what you think, after all, it's you that the setup has to convince!

Thanks!

As soon as I have the time I'll go and check both out. Having it look like a traditional bass amp is of little importance to me - after all I'm the bassist whose main bass is a Gus G3, The wedge profile should take up less room on shared gear stages and the weird setup will discourage more conventional bassists from wanting to borrow my rig at these gigs.

Just now, BigRedX said:

Thanks!

As soon as I have the time I'll go and check both out. Having it look like a traditional bass amp is of little importance to me - after all I'm the bassist whose main bass is a Gus G3, The wedge profile should take up less room on shared gear stages and the weird setup will discourage more conventional bassists from wanting to borrow my rig at these gigs.

A good few years back, I used to play in an acoustic trio. I had a stereo setup comprising of two 2x10s, each with a separate head powering them. They were placed in front of me tilted back towards me like a monitor - with a wedge for the vocals and guitars in the middle. Sounded bloody ace - and nobody on a shared bill really got it. Best thing is... nobody asked to use it.

Similarly, I remember somebody asking if they could borrow my rig on another shared line up gig. I was just relying on a wedge on the stage... I said, knock yourself out, reached into my rucksack and pulled out a Microbass 2. The look of panic on his face was priceless. Their drummer asking the drummer in my band for cymbals and sticks(!) won the prize though.

So I'm reading this thread with some interest.

My question is to all that are into this FRFR plus Preamp?  

I happily rock up to all my gigs most weekends with an EBS 350 head and an EBS 2 x 10 cab. Some are pubs , some are private functions in rooms like pubs with the occasional stage ala Pheonix Nights. It takes on average a staggering two trips from the car park to the stage area. Set up time is anything between 1 and 3 minutes depending on how much I need to shout at the drummer to move up so I can fit in. Unless its a concrete square room with windows, 9 time out of 10 , I plug in, dial correct volume and off we go. Good bass sound. Every body happy. Usually the amp eq  is pretty flat. Hardly a 8 x 10 in the corner.:biggrin:

I am genuinely interested in anything that means I rock up , plug in and just play because it sounds good right from the off. So....is the FRFR x 1 cab good enough to replace my EBS setup for the majority of gigs or is it something that works here, here and here and only on the provision the wind is blowing in the right direction? Other than that its a monitor only? Are you saying buy 2 so you have a PA plus you have a mini bass rig? What if it becomes the PA. Do I get my EBS stuff back out?

Ok its more than one question and a bit flippant but its a Monday.  Also to the OP (ok thats another question) hows it on gigs with the rest of the band doing their thing right next to you?

Bassjim - it sounds like you are sorted with your setup. Your preamp would be replacing your HD350 and the FRFR cab your 210. Hardly any reason to change - especially when your rig is doing the business for you.

If you could ditch the rig, get on IEM and let the PA do all the work then we would be looking at something different. Then you would be able to do your trip in one. Wired IEM, bass DI and bass all in a gig bag.

On 28/11/2017 at 19:12, barkin said:
1 minute ago, EBS_freak said:

Bassjim - it sounds like you are sorted with your setup. Your preamp would be replacing your HD350 and the FRFR cab your 210. Hardly any reason to change - especially when your rig is doing the business for you.

If you could ditch the rig, get on IEM and let the PA do all the work then we would be looking at something different. Then you would be able to do your trip in one. Wired IEM, bass DI and bass all in a gig bag.

Ok cool. I'll stick with my set up. It works and if no theres' no  major real improvement to be had , all is well in bassjims' world I'll get back in my box. 

The IEM thing: I just cant trust the others around me to rely on a healthy sound all night out front. We dont use a sound man and there is a lot of talk the talk but cant walk the walk in our camp when it comes to sound engineering. There is a threat that the dreaded X15 or whatever it is, is getting another go soon and I dread it. Tweak tweak tweak. Squeel. Hiss Bang. ( for vox and keys only!) feed back feed back feed back x 20 mins, no still not right , as opposed to turn that on. Plug that in. Turn that knob. Push slider. Bingo and were off.

I think if I were doing a gig and you were in charge of the sound my attitude towards it would change instantly. However thats not going to be happening any time soon for obvious reasons so until its the only solution available on the majority of all gigs big and small, all over the country, its the 2 trip car park trick for me!

I don't disagree with any of the FRFR or IEM arguments, and can see the benefits offered but just dont have an immediate need. Once that changes I'm sure I'll be justifying the costs to my wife. :biggrin:

I’m sure this sounds a bit silly but I love the fact that I’ve been down to one trip to and from the car for each gig for some time now. 

Simplest route is my MarkBass Alain Caron combo in one hand and bass over my shoulder - even leaves me with one free hand!

My ‘big’ rig has a Berg 210 in one hand, amp in the other and the ubiquitous bass over the shoulder. If the car park is bit of distance from the stage area I’ll shift the amp to the other shoulder and use both hands on the cab. Still one journey though. 

Always make me smile watching guitarists and drummer going back & forth humping stuff. 

I even get to arrive half an hour after everyone else now because I can set up so quickly :)

For FRFR, I've gone the Fearless F112 route powered either by a GK MB800 or an AI Focus for lower volume gigs. My tone is created from a small pedal board that is sent to PA if required and sent to the F112. This way I can carry my tone around for IEM gigs or use the amp for pub/functions/fetivals etc...

Thoughts of having another F112 are quickly quashed after using it and realising one is plenty. :)