Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

49 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

What are your current PA speakers, and is your bass going through FOH?  If so, it means you need only stage monitoring and for that you might be able to use equipment which is less good at reproducing low frequencies.  A high-pass filter can make its job easier too (perhaps one is available in DSP).

Also, can you use in-ears instead?  They are much lighter than any speaker cabinet!

This chat may be of interest 

On 06/08/2021 at 07:38, Newfoundfreedom said:

Just doing my best to catch up on this thread. Sorry if I've missed anything now it's approximately seventy thirteen million posts long.

I was SO glad when this monster finally died, and now you've gone and revived it. 😂

Anyone feel like starting an entirely new topic where everyone can bicker about whether PA cabs are any good for metal?

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Bass cabs that add any character to your sound are only any use if that sound is what the audience hears.

Not at all. Having a sound you like on stage is a huge motivator. 
The audience won’t care if it’s a Berg/BF etc, as long as it sounds ok and fits the music. 
I chose my gear to do the job, and sound good to me. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

So, has anyone tried any of these new fangled FRFR speakers to use as on stage bass monitors instead of cabs?

(I'll get my coat)

Cos what I want to know is are any PA cabs any good for metal? 
I mean, not on stands or fly mounted providing FOH, like sat on the stage behind the bass player as a back up for if the IEM fail. 

I have switched to two headrush 112s. So far I’m one gig in and it was an odd one, so not a good benchmark. (I played on a skate ramp). The main issue I found that caught me out was, when daisy chaining the two cabs, the second one was a LOT quieter than the first. No idea why! I switched them

round, changed inputs and cables, but always with the same result. 
Anyway, I’ve solved the problem two ways, with an ABY pedal to run both in mono, and a second preamp to split the signal path between a front stage monitor and one further back by the drums, or to run in stereo. 
I have a series of typical function and pub gigs coming up, so I can report back on the pros and cons of going to the headrush cabs. (Which was all I could afford) 

Edited by gafbass02

19 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

So, has anyone tried any of these new fangled FRFR speakers to use as on stage bass monitors instead of cabs?

(I'll get my coat)

Yes. I used mine as a monitor taking a line out of the back to the desk. So bass > HX Stomp > QSC K12.2 > desk. At gigs without PA I would use the QSC as backline.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Yes. I used mine as a monitor taking a line out of the back to the desk. So bass > HX Stomp > QSC K12.2 > desk. At gigs without PA I would use the QSC as backline.

I know that @Newfoundfreedom post was tongue in cheek but fwiw I do the other way around. Stomp>Desk>K12.2 as if it were a normal monitor. Partly so that I can benefit from the desk processing but mainly because there's a snake drop right by my pedalboard on the frontline.

Route of least resistance! The point of that either way works just fine.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

This is what I'm really interested in. I don't really play gigs big enough for PA support. We only use the PA for vocals and acoustic guitar. 

Does the QSC handle the bass well enough to be a standalone back line cab replacement for small to medium venues? 

Just now, Newfoundfreedom said:

This is what I'm really interested in. I don't really play gigs big enough for PA support. We only use the PA for vocals and acoustic guitar. 

Does the QSC handle the bass well enough to be a standalone back line cab replacement for small to medium venues? 

Definitely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

My RCF 732A replaced a Big Baby 2.

Wow! Cool. 

I'm still struggling with the concept that a plastic full range speaker can replace a wooden, purpose built bass cab. Especially in the bass response and lower frequencies. 

I'm still going backwards and forwards on whether to get one of these or a couple of small, lightweight cabs. 

One of these would make far more sense, both financially and weight saving. 

Does anyone have any live recordings / videos of them in action please? 

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm still struggling with the concept that a plastic full range speaker can replace a wooden, purpose built bass cab. Especially in the bass response and lower frequencies. 

I'm still going backwards and forwards on whether to get one of these or a couple of small, lightweight cabs. 

One of these would make far more sense, both financially and weight saving. 

Does anyone have any live recordings / videos of them in action please? 

Dunno if you'll save any weight - a Big Baby 2 is 12-13kg, whereas an RCF 732A is 17.8kg.  Barefaced's got that pretty much wrapped up.  You'll save money though: the PA companies have economies of scale on their side.

Afraid I don't have any videos or recordings.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Wow! Cool. 

.This is my mind set. Ive gigged an Ashdown EB-180 which was just about loud enough, and my DBR12 is much louder, but it seems alien to not have a proper bass cab sitting there.

Considering our PA speakers, which are very similar, can take the bass and other instruments I really shouldn’t be worrying, but i just cant get past that size thing.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

Dunno if you'll save any weight - a Big Baby 2 is 12-13kg, whereas an RCF 732A is 17.8kg.  Barefaced's got that pretty much wrapped up.  You'll save money though: the PA companies have economies of scale on their side.

Afraid I don't have any videos or recordings.

Sadly the Barefaced is well out of my price range. It's three times the price of the FRFR I'm looking at, and weight wise the FRFR is only 14.6kg for the 12" version. So not much heavier. 

7 hours ago, Jack said:

A £200 amp, FRFR or traditional, will be lower tier performance. That puts you against this bass combo.

Not even close. There's absolutely no comparison between the the FRFR I listed, and a 75w practice combo.

You obviously didn't read any of the reviews. 

If you think that the low price is still a marker of low quality in today's market, then you've never used any Harley Benton gear. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Again, if you are going to use FRFR/PA cabs, ensure they can handle the transients of live bass.

Frequency response 48 - 1900hz

That's lower than many purpose built bass cabs, and lower than the ones I'm currently using. So I can't see that it would be a problem. They're designed to handle a full band from bass to highs simultaneously. So I can't see how transients would be any worse than a bass cab. 

Again, having never used one I have no way of telling. All I have to go on are reviews, and the experience of other bass players, which seem to be overwhelmingly positive. 

Granted, if I was playing a stadium, then they'd need some serious PA support. But playing on a small bar or coffee shop. I can't see how they could fail to be honest. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

3 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Not even close. There's absolutely no comparison between the the FRFR I listed, and a 75w practice combo.

You obviously didn't read any of the reviews. 

If you think that the low price is still a marker of low quality in today's market, then you've never used any Harley Benton gear. 

I think you may be reading what you want to read there boss... I didn't see any reviews of that cab for bass when I looked at it a few months back. The one that does now said the speaker didn't work for them.

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Frequency response 48 - 1900hz

That's lower than many purpose built bass cabs, and lower than the ones I'm currently using. So I can't see that it would be a problem. 

Yes... Well I'd take that with a HUGE pinch of salt at that price if I were you...

But don't take our word for it! Get a couple bought and come back and tell everybody how they fair at WAR volume!

• Like 1