Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

22 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

@Frank Blank maybe consider something like a XR12 - you can dedicate a channel to each bass, each with individual gain and EQ and compression, overdrive etc... to build your core tone for each instrument... whatever you need.

The amount of processing you get in that small box is just staggering, if you can’t make that work for you...

The Behringer XR12? We are (as you suggested earlier in this thread) then we are heading towards mixer/IEM territory. I was unsure about this route but after discussing it with my musical partner, who is interested in this route, it seems we might head this way. So could I, using such a piece of kit, put both basses through but switch between them with a foot switch? And could we (as in my duo) put my basses and my partner’s acoustic through this and then send to the desk from it and then monitor from it via our powered wedges or IEMs?

@Frank Blank - Personally I would build a mini board (I use a pedal train Nano) and have two preamps going to the QSC. I’ve done this a few times. You could use a Boss line switcher for input or output or some other a/b pedal if you only wanted one lead to the QSC.

Thing is, you love the fish man sound - so keep it. It won’t do what you want for the other bass so a small board with 2 on will cover both. You can then delight in the joy of trying loads of preamp pedals. Personally it’s one of my fave hobbies - I love trying preamp pedals out. Got my eye on a subway next and it will no doubt continue ad Infinitum....

9 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

@Frank Blank - Personally I would build a mini board (I use a pedal train Nano) and have two preamps going to the QSC. I’ve done this a few times. You could use a Boss line switcher for input or output or some other a/b pedal if you only wanted one lead to the QSC.

Thing is, you love the fish man sound - so keep it. It won’t do what you want for the other bass so a small board with 2 on will cover both. You can then delight in the joy of trying loads of preamp pedals. Personally it’s one of my fave hobbies - I love trying preamp pedals out. Got my eye on a subway next and it will no doubt continue ad Infinitum....

Actually I like this idea, but I’m worried that I like it for the same reason you do, trying out loads of preamp pedals. Anyway, so if I were running two preamps, how would the chain go, bass > pre 1 > pre 2 > line switcher > QSC? Excuse my ignorance, I’m a proper newb to this. Also you say “...if you only want one lead to the QSC”, I thought you could only use the line b input for instruments?

10 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Actually I like this idea, but I’m worried that I like it for the same reason you do, trying out loads of preamp pedals. Anyway, so if I were running two preamps, how would the chain go, bass > pre 1 > pre 2 > line switcher > QSC? Excuse my ignorance, I’m a proper newb to this. Also you say “...if you only want one lead to the QSC”, I thought you could only use the line b input for instruments?

You could plug your bass into the input of the LS-2 and the output to the QSC. Preamp 1 would be in loop 1 and preamp 2 would be in loop 2. Set the mode to A<->B and you can go between the two.

Alternatively go bass - preamp1 - preamp2 - QSC and switch them on and off as necessary. This may give you a completely different sound running them one after the other rather than 1 or the other despite one being off and the other being on

Edited by Delberthot

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

The Behringer XR12? We are (as you suggested earlier in this thread) then we are heading towards mixer/IEM territory. I was unsure about this route but after discussing it with my musical partner, who is interested in this route, it seems we might head this way. So could I, using such a piece of kit, put both basses through but switch between them with a foot switch? And could we (as in my duo) put my basses and my partner’s acoustic through this and then send to the desk from it and then monitor from it via our powered wedges or IEMs?

Not really - if I was going to suggest.a XR for IEM use, I’d say XR18 for the aux count.

If you are looking to go that route, go for the XR18 straight off.

If you want flexibility and want to run a stand-alone setup, then you can get away with the XR12. You can run your mainouts to the QSC and an aux to a FOH mixer, of an aux to your QSC and the main out to your foh mixer. The XR18 could do both jobs of the XR12 and foh mixer.

You can either mute the channels (or turn the volumes down on the basses that are connected to the mixer) and have all your instruments plugged into the mixer. Or you could have one lead into a switch which would a b into two channels on the mixer.

The reason I am a fan of digital mixers is because they tend to give a lot more flexibility than most pres - for example, you typicall get a 3 or 4 band eq, with adjustable freq point, q in addition to cut and boost. You get lpf and hpf. You get 31 band eqs so you can notch out troublesome frequencies... In addition to that, you then have highly tweakable compressors, even multiband compressors.

Everything you state is possible... you have LR out for your main speakers, and then aux outs for backline, monitors or even IEMs. For an acoustic setup especially, I don’t know why you wouldn’t just go XR18.

@stingrayPete1977 has just sacked off all his amps and external pres - I believe he puts his upright and elec bass into his xr16 and let that do everything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I hear (of have heard) bad reports about the quality of Behringer gear?

Historically yes - but the XR and X32 have proven themselves to be as reliable as the competition. Remember that a lot of Behringers digital desk development has been done in tandem with Midas.

8 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I alternate between basses, obviously the settings on the preamp need to change yet the Fishman has only one channel and obviously I don’t want to be altering the eq back and forth as the basses change. Are there preamps with the ability to save different eq settings and switch between them? Or is there another solution to this? @EBS_freak

I use an MS-60B which has digital presets.

As previously said though, if you're very happy with the Fishman then you'd probably want to keep it.

3 hours ago, Delberthot said:

You could plug your bass into the input of the LS-2 and the output to the QSC. Preamp 1 would be in loop 1 and preamp 2 would be in loop 2. Set the mode to A<->B and you can go between the two.

Alternatively go bass - preamp1 - preamp2 - QSC and switch them on and off as necessary. This may give you a completely different sound running them one after the other rather than 1 or the other despite one being off and the other being on

Another option, if you want to physically connect two basses, is:

• bass 1 → pre-amp 1 → LS-2 input #1
  • bass 2 → pre-amp 2 → LS-2 input #2
  • LS-2 output → QSC

You can use any AB switch here instead of LS-2.

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

Dawson’s have a massive new shop in Leeds which I popped into as I was passing ... I saw for the first time a helix pedal...

flip me it’s gianormous! It’s bigger than some bass amps 

I was amazed at the size of it, good job I wasn’t piloting a Harrier at the time, I’d have attempted a landing on it.

One of my bands uses a Behringer X18.
we decided to get IEMs too and lose the backline.

FOH is a pair of Bose L1s, each of which has a pair of B1 subs.

Last gig, we decided to do without backline and go totally IEMs.

I did some homework before the gig and, using X Air Edit, on a laptop, I set up the IEMs.

I paired up aux 1-2 and aux 3-4 to give two stereo mixes as we have two transmitters and six receivers.

Mix one is quite balance between vox and instruments. Mix two is more vocal heavy.
The individual can choose his mix on his belt pack. mix one or mix two.
As the X18 has 6 aux outs, we can add another stereo monitor mix.

It went as well as I'd hoped, in fact some of us came away from the gig thinking, "I'm not as good a singer as I thought I was".

How did I benefit  as a bass player ?
Everyone could hear me better, everywhere on stage because my backline wasn't being drowned out by a guitarist, I was in their ears, so was everyone.

I now don't know if I'll ever use my Markbass setup again. Certainly not with this band. 

• Like 4

I go direct from wireless into an XR18 (with IEMs & no backline) & have done so for the past 8-9 months at quite a few gigs. 

I split my input into two channels (one for FOH, one for IEMs), insert the stereo Sansamp guitar effect Into the input channel and run a cab sim on the IEM side and none on the FOH) and it works for me with pretty much zero setup time (as it’s all racked).

I also use the inbuilt parametric EQ, compressor and noise gate on the separate channels - it basically replaces the Helix LT I was using as a glorified non-changing pedalboard and now I have no cables, no buttons to press and it sounds the same at every gig and I couldn’t be happier  

The XR12/16/18 as a bass preamp is a great idea imho. 

I realise this doesn’t have much to do with FRFR (apart from possibly using the PA) but I did use a Yamaha DBR15 as a stage monitor for a while using a similar setup (via an aux channel on the XR18)  - it was only for the rest of the band to hear and now I just send the bass via their own monitors and the drummer has it via his IEMs and his P&D drum throne. 

Edited by intime-nick
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, intime-nick said:

I go direct from wireless into an XR18 (with IEMs & no backline) & have done so for the past 8-9 months at quite a few gigs. 

I split my input into two channels (one for FOH, one for IEMs), insert the stereo Sansamp guitar effect Into the input channel and run a cab sim on the IEM side and none on the FOH) and it works for me with pretty much zero setup time (as it’s all racked).

I also use the inbuilt parametric EQ, compressor and noise gate on the separate channels - it basically replaces the Helix LT I was using as a glorified non-changing pedalboard and now I have no cables, no buttons to press and it sounds the same at every gig and I couldn’t be happier  

The XR12/16/18 as a bass preamp is a great idea imho. 

I realise this doesn’t have much to do with FRFR (apart from possibly using the PA) but I did use a Yamaha DBR15 as a stage monitor for a while using a similar setup (via an aux channel on the XR18)  - it was only for the rest of the band to hear and now I just send the bass via their own monitors and the drummer has it via his IEMs and his P&D drum throne. 

This is really helpful interesting info thanks.

4 hours ago, JohnFitzgerald said:

just to add to the above, there are many great channel setups that you can download from other users, if you use X Air Edit.

I use one of the fx processors on the X18 to give me a bit of delay for natural chorusing on my fretless.
In stereo, on the in ears, you can image how lush it sounds.

Wait a minute, so I could say get an XR12, download different channel profiles to pick which one I liked and add a bit of compression etc? Can you switch between different patches on the fly, say if I needed a bit of envelope filter for a certain song could I just patch it in on the tablet and be good to go?

8 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Wait a minute, so I could say get an XR12, download different channel profiles to pick which one I liked and add a bit of compression etc? Can you switch between different patches on the fly, say if I needed a bit of envelope filter for a certain song could I just patch it in on the tablet and be good to go?

Not really no - the XR channel settings would be for your core tone... it would be a bit clunky otherwise.