Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

I was asked to join another band a couple of days ago and I’ll have to revert back to a amp/cab setup for this instead of my usual zero backline/IEM setup from the other band.

i was going to take my BF Super Twin and GK amp but have decided to dig the Helix out of retirement and use a Yamaha DBR15 powered cab. It turns out the guitarist is reasonably sensible and uses an 18w Suhr valve amp into a 1x12 cab so I think it’ll all balance out OK. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, intime-nick said:

I was asked to join another band a couple of days ago and I’ll have to revert back to a amp/cab setup for this instead of my usual zero backline/IEM setup from the other band.

i was going to take my BF Super Twin and GK amp but have decided to dig the Helix out of retirement and use a Yamaha DBR15 powered cab. It turns out the guitarist is reasonably sensible and uses an 18w Suhr valve amp into a 1x12 cab so I think it’ll all balance out OK. 

Quite a nice setup to have sat arround in retirement! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, intime-nick said:

What? You're going backwards? Still... bet you glad you still kept hold of the Helix! Are you still gigging with the other band - especially considering that you have invested so heavily in the item field.

I guess that's what you call old school rock n roll!

Still with the other band on IEMs - we’re pretty much fully booked for next year already which is nice  

The new one is an originals rock/blues styleeee and I’ll be working my way in slowly to show them the ways of the IEM force 😉

re. the helix - it’s been sat idle for a few months but as this new band has only one gitarrrizst then I’ll be needing some extra ‘fill-in’ gizmos and wizardry and I suppose the helix can do that if I can be arsed to deal with the programming. 

Edited by intime-nick

I am considering making the jump from cab & amp to one of these fellows.

I currently have a GK MB500 and Barefaced One10 but my sound comes from a Behringer BDI21. I can't work out whether to go for the QSC K10.2 or K12.2.

14.5kgs v 17.7kgs and £643 v £756

Both are on offer at the moment with carry bags included

Would the K10.2 give me the same bottom end and volume that the One10 does or should I go for the 12?

I have the money to buy either so that isn't a factor - or given the number of forum members who have recently bought the K12.2 merely wait a couple of months until they start flooding the BC marketplace? 😛

Or would the CP12 be enough?

Also to add - I have my cab on a speaker pole and am rarely more than 4 or 5 feet from it

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

I have the money to buy either so that isn't a factor - or given the number of forum members who have recently bought the K12.2 merely wait a couple of months until they start flooding the BC marketplace? 

I don’t think that’s going to happen, having just gone over to using a K12.2 myself I get the distinct feeling it’s a a one way street once you’re converted.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I don’t think that’s going to happen, having just gone over to using a K12.2 myself I get the distinct feeling it’s a a one way street once you’re converted.

This. @Delberthot, the 10.2 will likely match your BFOne10 for volume and low end with the added benefits of easy tilt-back monitoring. If you don’t mind the weight (and cost) increase of the 12.2 then I say go for it. Better to have more and not need it than need more and not have it IMHO.

• Like 2

K12.2 it is then 

I've read all 40 pages and it has been very informative and humorous at times.

My reasons for buying one are:

• Although my rig is already compact I feel that it looks untidy out front with my cab on a stand in front of me so I can have this on the floor out of the way
  • I still have the option, if playing venues where there is a chance of drinks being spilt or clumsy guests tripping over it, to put the speaker on a stand
  • I can use the second input to take a monitor feed from the desk to add keyboards as I struggle to hear them at times and I can also control the level from my end as well
  • I can use the user "scenes" to store settings for venues we play a lot so that I can just turn up, set the scene as it were and play without having to faff around
  • I get a bit panicky when my amps reach a certain age (I've only had this one 2 years from new, if that) and fear that it will fail even though I look after all of my equipment but this comes with a 6 year warranty so I know that I can keep it this long

After looking online I am still unsure if I should be selecting line level or instrument level. I'll be using either my Sterling or Rickenbacker through some effects and out of my Behringer BDI21 into the K12.2. Should I use instrument level and risk overdriving the input stage or select line level and maybe have to crank the gain?

I also have an EQ pedal that I intend the match the levels of both Rickenbacker and Sterling so that the amp gets the same level input. I have the option to raise the level of the Rick or reduce the level of the Sterling. I think that I'd be more inclined to lower the output of the Sterling

• Like 1

That's interesting as I now have another option - I could use the DI out of the BDI21 into the QSC and select mic level input then use the pass-through on the QSC to go the desk.

I like the first option of going straight to the QSC then straight out to the desk as it reduces the chance of noise entering the signal chain between the effects and the QSC

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

@Delberthot, this is what I found in the BDI21’s manual. If you’re using the 1/4” output then set your QSC to accept instrument level 

Jesus, they do say RTFM. This is from the QSC K12.2 manual...

70432F10-751C-482C-9627-E0DC1DF56456.jpeg

...so if passive instruments go into the Instrument input I’m assuming that active instruments or the output from my Fishman pre amp (with either an active or passive instrument inputting it) go into the Line input?

Edited by Frank Blank

43 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Jesus, they do say RTFM. This is from the QSC K12.2 manual...

70432F10-751C-482C-9627-E0DC1DF56456.jpeg

...so if passive instruments go into the Instrument input I’m assuming that active instruments or the output from my Fishman pre amp (with either an active or passive instrument inputting it) go into the Line input?

Depends on if the fishman outputs at line level ;)

Edited by Bridgehouse
  • Like 1

So I'm after a wedge. K12.2 or one of the RCF models? Ids for a loudish band (5 piece pub rock) with pa support often but not always, in this band I normally use one barefaced fr800.

Edited by Jack

1 hour ago, Jack said:

So I'm after a wedge. K12.2 or one of the RCF models? Ids for a loudish band (5 piece pub rock) with pa support often but not always, in this band I normally use one barefaced fr800.

I have gigged with both RCF and QSC, and either will be a good choice.  I used to play a similar-ish rig to you (Shuttle 9.2 + Big Baby 2) and now I use a RCF 732A.

The RCF has a simpler panel - fewer inputs, no digital menu, no "scenes" (eq profiles), no summed output.  For me that is a plus; for others, they will prefer the QSC.

The handles on the RCF are a better size, in a better location, and there are more of them.

7 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I have gigged with both RCF and QSC, and either will be a good choice.  I used to play a similar-ish rig to you (Shuttle 9.2 + Big Baby 2) and now I use a RCF 732A.

The RCF has a simpler panel - fewer inputs, no digital menu, no "scenes" (eq profiles), no summed output.  For me that is a plus; for others, they will prefer the QSC.

The handles on the RCF are a better size, in a better location, and there are more of them.

Thanks! I'm not overly fussed about the QSC's dsp (although the possibility to plug direct in is cool) and there's a free bag with the QSC these days so the handles aren't a massive deal either.

In terms of sound or volume is the RCF 735 worth £100 more?