Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

1 minute ago, owen said:

I had an interesting afternoon. I was doing a scratch choir of 250 voices singing the Welsh national anthem in a reggae stylee with 200 people playing perc on Garage Band on iPads. It was a crazy ride.

Sounds awesome! 

1 hour ago, owen said:

I had an interesting afternoon. I was doing a scratch choir of 250 voices singing the Welsh national anthem in a reggae stylee with 200 people playing perc on Garage Band on iPads. It was a crazy ride.

Anyway, I took a QSC KW12 from work with me and there was a QSC K12 there so I did an a/b with them. The KW was significantly heavier. But it was nicer.

The reality is that either would have been lots of fun, but the KW was less shouty than the K. Shall I have a change of rig? Perhaps. 

Is shouty a positive of negative? 

I guess shouty is me trying to say pushing too hard in the upper mid, or a bit too strident. But this was really only in an a/b situation, and on it's own in a live situation it would have been fine and dandy.

To further clarify, the K12 was fine but the KW12 was a bit more refined. I would be more than happy to have a K12.

Edited by owen

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Am coming back to playing a bit more again after a break. 

Can any of these full range 1x10 PA cabs - the K10.2 or the RCF equivalent - hold up to e.g. the Markbass CMD121p or the Eich Classic 112 combo?

I’m looking to basically have a 30lb one hand small to medium gig solution. Bigger stuff go through PA. 

IME 1x12” is min necessary for many gigs. However I recognise the drivers in the CMD121p and the Eich may not be as good as what’s in the PA cabs. Hence the question. 

I did own an AER Amp One and Three for a spell but I always felt the lack of a tweeter. 

4 minutes ago, funkle said:

I do notice the 12” PA FRFR solutions tend to weigh around 40 lbs. If they were closer to 30 lbs we wouldn’t likely be having this discussion. It’d be an easy choice. 

The Barefaced FR800 is 33lbs with  a 12" driver.  Any easier?

1 minute ago, Chienmortbb said:

What are these funny lbs things? If only Barefaced could make it 15Kgs... ( I will get my coat).

I'll ask 'em if they can make them in kg instead but remember we're coming out of Europe so maybe they're future proofing......

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I replaced a Markbass stack (LMII with two Club 121 cabs) with a QSC K10.2 and there's no shotcomings regarding volume or tone. I use it for personal monitoring only though and go through the PA for FoH every time.

What's the loudest thing you would attempt to use it for without PA? 

3 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Don't know really, I haven't done a gig sans PA in over a decade. I usually have the volume on my preamp pedal between 9 and 11 o'clock and it's more than loud enough for any stage I need to play, some are ballroom sized stages and some are pubs.

Good to know.

Some of what I do is small jazz combo stuff with no PA. I'd think the k10.2 could hold up to that no problem. 

Anywhere we can search for PA stuff secondhand? A quick web search wasn't that helpful... 

I did a gig at the weekend using my Helix and RCF745 where the PA support (for reasons only known to the engineer) was intermittent. My standard setting is with the volume control on the back of the RCF at about 3 o'clock and the output volume on the Helix at 10 o'clock. On stage that was plenty loud enough for us all to hear the bass once I'd angled the RCF at 45° across the stage. 

Out front for the headlining band that also used my rig, when the bass had been taken out of the PA (I don't know either) it was still audible although not as loud as I would have liked it. This was for a venue with a couple of hundred capacity, and had there been no PA support there was still plenty of volume available from the rig, although on stage hearing the other instruments on stage might have been a struggle at the required volumes to project FoH.

Edited by BigRedX

1 hour ago, funkle said:

Good to know.

Some of what I do is small jazz combo stuff with no PA. I'd think the k10.2 could hold up to that no problem. 

Anywhere we can search for PA stuff secondhand? A quick web search wasn't that helpful... 

I’ve used the k10.2 in a rehearsal room with a drum kit and with 3 guitars into 3 guitar amps - mostly valve combos in the 50w range but all capable of being very loud if needed. The k10.2 was fine. I wouldn’t have wanted to have to give it much more oomph, but it was more than enough for the Jam session I was playing in. 

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

I've not used one (and I think it was linked earlier in this thread), but the QSC CP12 is 30.3 lbs (13.7 kg).

Well well well. Very tempting! I'll have a closer look at that.

51 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I’ve used the k10.2 in a rehearsal room with a drum kit and with 3 guitars into 3 guitar amps - mostly valve combos in the 50w range but all capable of being very loud if needed. The k10.2 was fine. I wouldn’t have wanted to have to give it much more oomph, but it was more than enough for the Jam session I was playing in. 

Well that's totally workable.

Now I'm spoiled for choice. Thanks guys. This is great.

A noob frfr question.

does ut matter what type of music you play as to what type of frfr monitor you should look at?

I play in a Cult Tribute band so it is nothing heavy however there are a couple of songes which i have to crank the overdrive.

My setup is:

Shure GLXD

Microthumpinator

emperess compressor

Darkglass VMT

Samsamp Bass Driver (Waiting for it to arrive)

I currently use a TC rig but have not liked it for a long time. I DI from the back of the TC head and go through PA at all gigs.

cheers

Edited by milesBguitar