Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

3 hours ago, Dood said:

No I didn't! I've literally only just reactivated my FB this weekend. Do you have a link?

Can't seem to link to it but it's in the Barefaced Owners Group from 7th September by a chap called Ash Beetson - it looks like he's over your way too...!

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

Can't seem to link to it but it's in the Barefaced Owners Group from 7th September by a chap called Ash Beetson - it looks like he's over your way too...!

Nyarghh! I'm not in the group sadly.

7 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Stumbled across this just now - Software modelled guitar Amps/FX, digital Hammond organ and electronic drums. Sadly no bass guitar but still. I bet these guys had a wonderfully chilled load in/out.

Playing starts around 2:45. Who can deny it sounds great??

For Mac users, look at the app MainStage. I use it off and on myself in my studio space. It's literally no money and can do all of the above and more, but also allows you to install other plugins and external 'processing' too, like my favourite Guitar Amp modeller made by Positive Grid: BIAS and BIAS FX. - You could also run and automate the Line 6 Helix Native plug in too which has all of the functionality of the hardware versions. I'd install Toontrack's EZ Drummer 2 (or Superior) along with some cool piano sounds from Addictive Keys. Run the whole band off of one decent interface!

I love music tech these days! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Tubster said:

Direct competition for Yamaha DBR and EV MID RANGE?

Quality can’t be on par with K.2 otherwise those sales will be impacted. We shall see but personally I’m excited to hear the new Yamaha DZR speakers - they talk a good game!

Probably competition to those, yes.    I didn't look into the details but compared to K.2 it looks like the power section is much smaller and the Hi-z input gone in the CP series.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JSB said:

Probably competition to those, yes.    I didn't look into the details but compared to K.2 it looks like the power section is much smaller and the Hi-z input gone in the CP series.

No fancy screen either, which is actually really handy and intuitive. haven't managed to smash it yet!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

Sorry all. Not having a good time of it at the moment. Just a bit sensitive. 

Hey Ian, We're all a big fam' here and we all have 'those days'. It's cool, we're good. I do know how you feel though. I am a nightmare, probably the worst especially when it comes to a potential big purchase. I want answers dammit lol :)It is so bad these days that it took me three days to choose a screen protector for my 'phone to make sure it was the best for the money. I'm not even joking. The annoying thing is..... I haven't even bought one yet! 

1 minute ago, Dood said:

Hey Ian, We're all a big fam' here and we all have 'those days'. It's cool, we're good. I do know how you feel though. I am a nightmare, probably the worst especially when it comes to a potential big purchase. I want answers dammit lol :)It is so bad these days that it took me three days to choose a screen protector for my 'phone to make sure it was the best for the money. I'm not even joking. The annoying thing is..... I haven't even bought one yet! 

This^

I do agonise over every pretty much everything, including potential purchases and even stupid things like a leaking gutter - especially if I can’t fix it there and then - to the point of anxiety.

Anxiety that just gets me down and snappy. Thank you for understanding 🍺

All I need to know is if the Headrush 112 is any good for the money and can I use my MB200 as a preamp from the line out until I can get an amp sim fx thingy. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

All I need to know is if the Headrush 112 is any good for the money and can I use my MB200 as a preamp from the line out until I can get an amp sim fx thingy. 

MB200 as a preamp, yes, just use the line out or the direct out into your chosen speaker cab. You won’t have any speaker emulation - but some people actually prefer that with bass. I for one!

As for the Headrush 112, I have no experience. It is primarily designed for the guitar market so it may not have enough headroom in the lows - but I’m just speculating. Going with a PA speaker is always a good shout though - as they are designed for multi use, whether it be FRFR cabs or Djs pumping out loads of bass.

Have a look at some of the tried and tested examples above but I’m guessing you are ideally looking for something around the 300 pound mark?

Edited by EBS_freak

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

MB200 as a preamp, yes, just use the line out or the direct out into your chosen speaker cab. You won’t have any speaker emulation - but some people actually prefer that with bass. I for one!

As for the Headrush 112, I have no experience. It is primarily designed for the guitar market so it may not have enough headroom in the lows - but I’m just speculating. Going with a PA speaker is always a good shout though - as they are designed for multi use, whether it be FRFR cabs or Djs pumping out loads of bass.

Have a look at some of the tried and tested examples above but I’m guessing you are ideally looking for something around the 300 pound mark?

I’m not fully sure of budget yet. When I’m mulling over things like this I usually start from the lowest price point and work my way up. 

On one hand I’m already set with portability with my BF Midget and MB200, but on the other, the idea of being able to emulate all sorts of tonal options in uncoloured fidelity does appeal to me. I’m not one for fiddling with digital multi fx trickery with buttons and screen as I find it too distracting so the Two Notes LeBass looks ideal.

Also, I rarely if ever DI out, but other members of the band do (20 piece big band). Could I take a feed FROM the desk and use the FRFR as my amp AND as a monitor for myself and the drummer? Our band are short of monitors and this would be a great benefit. 

Edited by ianrendall

If the simple approach is what you are going for, then you still have lots of options. The Twonotes is certainly one, there’s stuff from GK, Hartke, EBS, Aguilar, Lehle, Radial etc etc... and you could always look at channel strips.

What you are suggesting about monitor is also doable. Send everything to the PA, let that do the front of house duties and have your frfr just for monitoring purposes. I wouldn’t suggest using a frfr like this if it’s the only way you are getting your bass out front as you are likely to get loads of mixing issues.

• Thanks 1

I had an interesting afternoon. I was doing a scratch choir of 250 voices singing the Welsh national anthem in a reggae stylee with 200 people playing perc on Garage Band on iPads. It was a crazy ride.

Anyway, I took a QSC KW12 from work with me and there was a QSC K12 there so I did an a/b with them. The KW was significantly heavier. But it was nicer.

The reality is that either would have been lots of fun, but the KW was less shouty than the K. Shall I have a change of rig? Perhaps. 

• Like 1