Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

On 15/09/2021 at 20:53, StickyDBRmf said:

OK so I've read most of these bazillion pgs. I'm interested in cutting thru jamming with a drummer & guitar (how can they be so LOUD w/ a 20W amp?) playing a QSC 12.2 will it CUT IT?

Assuming (and it's a BIG assumption) that everyone is keeping in line with the drum kit then yes. Much more than that and it may struggle.

Comparing them to the other 1x12 cabs that I've owned, whilst I never run anything near breaking point so I don't know this for certain, I am fairly confident that my QSCs are significantly more powerful than my GK Neo 1x12 was, about on par with my Barefaced Midgets*, and less capable than my Barefaced FR800s. 

*If you really care, I think the midgets would go a little louder but they started to get a little thin when pushed. The QSCs stay full all the way up, even if they don't go quite as far. 

• Like 2

I have read through quite a lot of this thread and the QSC K.2 cans seem to be king, but they are a bit pricey for me at the moment.

Is anyone using the QSC CP12? I still think this would be significantly more powerful than say a Ashdown Rootmaster 112 combo which I was looking at.

10 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Can you get to £549 for a Yamaha DXR12 mkII?  I've not tried one but I have recently been using its smaller sibling, DXR10 mkII, for stage monitoring instead of my RCF 732A, and I'm liking the Yamaha.

I will take a look, that’s not a bad price by any means. Yamaha gear has always been super solid in my experience.

On 19/09/2021 at 09:47, NJE said:

I have read through quite a lot of this thread and the QSC K.2 cans seem to be king, but they are a bit pricey for me at the moment.

Is anyone using the QSC CP12? I still think this would be significantly more powerful than say a Ashdown Rootmaster 112 combo which I was looking at.

Yes we have 4 for monitors...excellent build and sound

• Like 1

On 19/09/2021 at 10:47, NJE said:

Yes, the CP12 is my 'Jazz Setup' and it has served me well for rehearsals and small gigs. I plug in via passive DI or a Palmer Pocket Pre if I need to shape the tone. Portability has proven itself on train/subway/bus.

Edited by mahei
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New to the forum and found this thread. Just picked up an HX Stomp but have been using a Peavey 15 via a Laney Nexus for the last year or so.

As it happens I have a 700W Line 6 StageSource L2t 2x10 I used for PA for a long while. I'm wondering if anyone has used these for this application?

I'm going to give it a go but I'll struggle to get up to level at home. Has some useful features in this direction such as flip out wedge feet and onboard EQ.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear bass fellas and rock n roll murdereres, i´ve been following closely this tread, and i finally decided to go ther FRFR  route. Still i have a few ( a lot to be honest 😁doubts on wich brand or model to choose . 

I must confess that one thing i never realy loved about the tradicional setup was the fact that a lot of the sound was hitting my knees instead of my ears... except if i were using a full stack  4x10 on top of a 1x15. 

I plan using the frfr cab mostly as a floor monitor, at least at reharsals.

I was trying to reduce my list to the least options possible so your thoughts will be highly apreciated. I added the EV to the lista as a lot of sond guys rave about it been great as floor monitor.

I´m leanig towards the mackie, It has bluetooth, it´s smaller, lighter, as a boader frequency range even though its the only one with 10" speaker.. i`m i missing something here?

Thanks in advance.

image.thumb.png.113080eb9270d4f807a0de885d6a5bb2.png

image.thumb.png.6889a107d7090c743df7e2c44548f0f3.png

2 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

I have an RCF 732-A for sale in the marketplace.

As for 10" speakers - for £30 more than the Mackie, I'd take a Yamaha DXR10 mkII every time.  I've been using one as a monitor and our sound engineer always has me cut the low frequencies, as they're otherwise affecting FOH.  This is at wedding venues and theatres.

It seems that a good 10" speaker can handle the job and that´s good news. Thanks for your sugestion, I´ll have a look.

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

@A.G.E.N.T.E. If you can stretch to this you’ll be laughing ☝

That would be a pretty good deal on a 732... but i´m in Portugal,  and customs would be glad to rip me off. Besides that i would be waiting for months for it to arrive as customs are going crazy right now due to new fees regulation.  Almost half a milion pacages are colecting dust at customs warehouse right now.

• Sad 1

We're currently using a not particularly sophisticated Allen & Heath Zed60-14fx mixer - but it has been super reliable and has done the job.

This has an aux out with quite a lot of control as to what gets fed into that plus a headphone out. Would that work in terms of providing me with a monitor out and a separate one for the vocalists and allow me to dispense with my existing amp and cab as backline / monitoring and just go through the PA?

I guess a related question is how many of you folk who have gone FRFR have gone the whole hog and adopted IEMs?

If you're not using IEMs how many stage monitors are you using - in particular for full rock bands, which is what I would be dealing with.

Edited by Al Krow

18 hours ago, A.G.E.N.T.E. said:

It seems that a good 10" speaker can handle the job and that´s good news. Thanks for your sugestion, I´ll have a look.

I have a QSC K10.2. It is a very capable cab. Would it fight with a drummer? As a monitor? Yes. As backline? No.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I use one monitor, but am considering IEMs in the future.

Thanks Frank. I guess I should have qualified my question by asking how many stage monitors are typically being used by full rock bands who are not using IEMs?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, owen said:

I have a QSC K10.2. It is a very capable cab. Would it fight with a drummer? As a monitor? Yes. As backline? No.

Traditionally 'backline' is the monitoring when you have FOH.

A lot of backline in use is more suited to festival stages outdoors, being fully loud enough to be way too loud, and directional indoors. Trying to mic it up for FOH winds up a fool's errand.

18 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Traditionally 'backline' is the monitoring when you have FOH.

100%. But to have an amp which will do what is needed in a smaller room situation without FOH support is where it is at. I do not believe that a 10" wedge will deal with an enthusiastic drummer if that is the only amplification for bass in the room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I guess a related question is how many of you folk who have gone FRFR have gone the whole hog and adopted IEMs? If you're not using IEMs how many monitors are you using?

Using IEMs exclusively now and not going back.

Great sound every gig and I have instant control over every aspect of it. All of this fits in my gigbag and takes zero space on stage. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Using IEMs exclusively now and not going back.

Great sound every gig and I have instant control over every aspect of it. All of this fits in my gigbag and takes zero space on stage. 

Cheers for confirming - what IEM set up do you guys have in terms of mixer and IEM units and, if you don't mind me asking, how much did that all come to?

1 hour ago, owen said:

100%. But to have an amp which will do what is needed in a smaller room situation without FOH support is where it is at. I do not believe that a 10" wedge will deal with an enthusiastic drummer if that is the only amplification for bass in the room.

I call that 'stage bass carrying the room'. Need a proper word for it.