Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Welcome to the enlightenment.

Well, its been an interesting discovery. (I just experimented with the settings that I found on ‘The Bass Hang’ YouTube channel)

Tone wise, my NS EUB has never sounded better and my passive Jazz sounded exactly as I wanted it. Very happy.

Volume wise ( I only used it as backline (vocal and keys through the PA) and backline for electric guitar and our drummer can get quite loud) - it coped with most of our numbers but when the drummer got going, it did start to struggle to cut through but I think I can experiment much more with the preamp controls and the positioning of the speaker.

Pretty good for a first attempt but I think there is much more to come

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I’m new to the whole Helix thing..

I used to run the whole big valve amps into 410 cabs. I’ve in the last year gone from 2 cabs to a BF Big Twin 2 (minimum colouration) but still have my Darkglass M900 which I have all my eq settings flat on to try and minimise it affecting the tone coming from my Helix LT which I picked up a few weeks ago. Did a gig Friday night and very impressed using the Ampeg modellers through my rig...

Question is since my Darkglass has the Microtubes engine in this now seems redundant to me so what is the next step? Sell cab and head for a decent active monitor? Or keep the Big Twin and buy a decent poweramp? IEM’s I think are currently out of the question as I believe everyone in the band needs to migrate to them or no one at all? Got to say I was a massive valve amp fan and don’t miss it, the Helix is that good. We play in a loud rock/metal band for what it’s worth.

• 1 month later...

Dudes. I’ve been following this for a while now. I’m ready to start seriously looking at a powered wedge for stage monitoring. As I now seem to be playing larger stages I have recent moved to IEMs but would also like the option of a speaker on stage, both as an option for me and the others in the band. 

I don’t use helix or similar but I run 2 rack mounted Sansamps. Do you think a QSC would be a suitable solution for what I’m looking for? Im thinking I would go to FOH from the sansamp with another 1/4inch jack to the powered wedge. 

On 03/09/2019 at 22:20, Floyd Pepper said:

Volume wise  - it coped with most of our numbers but when the drummer got going, it did start to struggle to cut through but I think I can experiment much more with the preamp controls and the positioning of the speaker.

I don't have a K10.2 but does it make a difference if you turn the high-pass filter on?  I think it's an option in the "sub" menu.

On 22/12/2019 at 10:41, 28mistertee said:

Question is since my Darkglass has the Microtubes engine in this now seems redundant to me so what is the next step? Sell cab and head for a decent active monitor?

Are you very very loud, or is the Darkglass + Big Twin 2 just ticking over?  Because if it's the first option, I'm not sure what single powered speaker could match the volume of 900W into a Big Twin 2.

48 minutes ago, pburrows said:

I don’t use helix or similar but I run 2 rack mounted Sansamps. Do you think a QSC would be a suitable solution for what I’m looking for? Im thinking I would go to FOH from the sansamp with another 1/4inch jack to the powered wedge. 

Sounds like a really good setup to me 👍

2 hours ago, pburrows said:

Dudes. I’ve been following this for a while now. I’m ready to start seriously looking at a powered wedge for stage monitoring. As I now seem to be playing larger stages I have recent moved to IEMs but would also like the option of a speaker on stage, both as an option for me and the others in the band. 

Where are you in the Midlands? You are welcome to try my QSC K12.2.

3 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

I don't have a K10.2 but does it make a difference if you turn the high-pass filter on?  I think it's an option in the "sub" menu.

I didn't realise that there was an option to do this in the menu - I use the high pass filter on my Bassbone so wouldn't need it but it's good to know that there is one should I need it in the future

10 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Are you very very loud, or is the Darkglass + Big Twin 2 just ticking over?  Because if it's the first option, I'm not sure what single powered speaker could match the volume of 900W into a Big Twin 2.

I normally have a couple of half stack Marshall’s to contend with so things can get loud. I had to sell a load of my gear including my Big Twin to pay for moving home so I’ve actually taken a back step (as some may see it) and bought another fantastic Trace rig that Mr @pburrows kindly sold to me yesterday. I’m using my rig as my core sound and the Helix will be used for adding the sprinkles to the cake so to speak. @jrixn1 we did a gig last year and I tried to get the bass put through the powered wedges and you are right I struggled to hear myself and it just didn’t sound or feel right. Maybe a couple of higher quality monitors would work better but for now I’m more than happy with the route I’ve taken.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

There wasn't an option for that last time I looked IIRC, just different frequencies to set the crossover. The K10.2 has a cutoff at 57hz I think regardless of whether the crossover is engaged.

5 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Ah I could be wrong.  On the first-gen K and the CP series, you can set the switch/dial to "EXT SUB".

Yeah there's a switchable crossover for adding a sub, think it can go as low as 80hz which wouldn't make a particularly usable bass HPF for most I would think. Seeing as the DSP is already cutting everything under 57hz (don't quote me on that, my memory is rubbish!) it already has the HPF thing going on. 

Haven't got the speaker here with me now to check so not sure if you can just select from a few preset frequencies or pick your own with the jog wheel, been looking at selling it since using in ears tbh. 

• 2 weeks later...

Deciding between a QSC K12.2 and an RCF 7xx.

What's the DSP like in the RCF 7 series? Is there any? I see a use case where I go pedalboard>wedge>PA mixer in that order and so I wouldn't want to apply a hpf at the pedalboard (as that would also apply it to the pa feed). I know the QSC would allow me to apply a hpf in the wedge and it has internal limiters etc to make sure the speaker doesn't get damaged anyway. Does the RCF have internal limiters and such to prevent over excursion?

I should ask RCF really...

There is no user-controlled DSP on the RCF.

I assume there is a limiter somewhere in there but don't actually know for sure.

FWIW in my setup, I don't chain the RCF and the desk.  Instead my pre-amp has a DI out which goes straight to the desk, and a separate line out which goes to HPF and then to the RCF.  The separate line out also has its own volume control, which is useful.  I have complete faith in the RCF, but I suppose not chaining it to the desk means that if it were to malfunction during a gig, FOH would remain unaffected.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

There is no user-controlled DSP on the RCF.

I assume there is a limiter somewhere in there but don't actually know for sure.

That's the assumption that I'm making, but again I don't know for sure either. I'm well aware that there's nothing user configurable such as the QSC has, but I'd at least like something. It is, after all, being used outside of it's original design intention.

35 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

FWIW in my setup, I don't chain the RCF and the desk.  Instead my pre-amp has a DI out which goes straight to the desk, and a separate line out which goes to HPF and then to the RCF.  The separate line out also has its own volume control, which is useful.  I have complete faith in the RCF, but I suppose not chaining it to the desk means that if it were to malfunction during a gig, FOH would remain unaffected.

That is a possibility for me, but it means having two cables running from frontline to backline as my preamp is on my pedalboard. This would not be an issue if my wedge was to be in front of me like a traditional monitor, but it would be if the wedge was behind like a bass amp. The other option I have is to go preamp>pa>wedge but this relies on always having a dedicated aux. Fine when we run our own sound but not with somebody else's pa.

58 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

20 minutes ago, Jack said:

That's the assumption that I'm making, but again I don't know for sure either. I'm well aware that there's nothing user configurable such as the QSC has, but I'd at least like something. It is, after all, being used outside of it's original design intention.

Is it though?  It's designed for live sound, to reproduce whatever audio signal you feed it...

On the limiter front, this is the best I could find (perhaps you already saw it):  "controlled by a DSP that takes care of crossover, equalisation, phase control, soft limiting and speaker protections"

https://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/product-detail/art-732-a-mk4/210081