Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

3 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2019/01/25/tech-21-introduces-the-power-engine-deuce-deluxe-cabinet/

Looks as if Tech 21 are jumping on the FRFR bandwagon. 

I hope it's got a bit low end capability than the Tech 21 VT Bass combo I tried late last year. I like the inclusion of HPF & LPF, but I'm not a fan of rear facing ports. 

Aye - well, they have been at it quite some time. A guitarist I worked with had their original Power Engine - just looks like they've put a decent speaker in it now though (to handle bass) and uprated the amp somewhat.

• 1 month later...
On 26/01/2019 at 10:01, JohnDaBass said:

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/effects-pedals/downtown-express-bass-multi-effect-pedal/0234538000.html

Fender have launched a very reasonable multi effects preamp that may well offer an alternative solution in front of a FRFR powered speaker.

Those LED knobs... do people play with the settings on stage that often to required LED tipped pots?

On 10/03/2019 at 13:37, stingrayPete1977 said:

I think my big genz rig is going on the for sale pile, if I need anything big for a dep gig without in ears I've got a couple of smaller setups or a pair of RCF 735s, I'd just have to struggle on without any heft obviously 9_9

Slumming it then.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2019 at 13:37, stingrayPete1977 said:

I've got a couple of smaller setups or a pair of RCF 735s

In other words, after selling you bass rig you'll still have 2 or 3 top-shelf rigs? What are the 'couple of smaller setups'?

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2018 at 12:15, Bridgehouse said:

I kept mine simple.

Pedaltrain nano with cioks DC5 - smoothhound wireless - tuner - Preamp.

Currently have a Dave hall valve on there but I swap out for a variety (not necessary of course)

XLR out to QSC K10.2 and DI to FOH

Months later I’m just checking... so you take an XLR from preamp to QSC?

I began by buying various pedals but got bored so I've gone for the most basic setup and loving the sound. I have a Line6 receiver with DI out so I go straight from the transmitter on my bass to the receiver and into the QSC with DI from the receiver going to the desk.

I figured that I already have a 3 band EQ on my Sterling so I have what I need without going for any external processors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delberthot said:

I began by buying various pedals but got bored so I've gone for the most basic setup and loving the sound. I have a Line6 receiver with DI out so I go straight from the transmitter on my bass to the receiver and into the QSC with DI from the receiver going to the desk.

I figured that I already have a 3 band EQ on my Sterling so I have what I need without going for any external processors.

Dude, that's brave.

3 hours ago, Jack said:

Dude, that's brave.

I had already set up the on board EQ on the QSC so at the beginning of a gig before we sound check I make whatever slight adjustments I need to on the bass. I love simple so this suits me perfectly. Plus it's a great sound so I don't feel the need to add anything else

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delberthot said:

I had already set up the on board EQ on the QSC so at the beginning of a gig before we sound check I make whatever slight adjustments I need to on the bass. I love simple so this suits me perfectly. Plus it's a great sound so I don't feel the need to add anything else

I pretty much do this, the DI pedal I use has a 3 band eq with sweepable mids but I only really ever use it for a bit of compression and a brightness roll off. The eq on the bass gets the sound I like so there's no need to tinker.

So several years (5!)  back I started asking questions about FRFR systems etc... except I didn't know that, I asked a question about how going into a practice at a church, the bass sound out of the HK DART monitor in front of me was one of the best sounds I had ever had.
And was asking why, I think it was @stevie who pointed out that multiple amps a decent horn and multiband limiting would make a nice sounding bass tone with the payoff being that you would loose a lot of the bottom end. 
Interestingly a local selling group has just posted a couple of these up for sale for pretty cheap. I guess ex-hire. but very cheap. 
Quoted: 105db @1w/1m half space (whatever that means), Max 123db @1m (at 10% THD)
+/- 3db : 80hz - 19kHz
+/- 10db : 60hz - 22kHz

How does their low end compare to something like the QSC K12.2? As in... not on the stats which I can look up, but on how will that feel to use as a  FRFR cab? 

EDIT:
Interestingly looking at the specs for the different settings for the K12.2 looking at a response graph that I found on several US retailers websites, the published specs for the K12.2 is on a "full range" setting which features a big bass boost between 60-100Hz ... DSP towards flat the -10db point is higher about 70Hz...

Edited by LukeFRC

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience with the Headrush FRFR 112?  Recently fallen down the Helix rabbit hole and looking to replace a Marbass traveller 121H (1x12) and Carvin BX700 head - all running at 300w.  Ideally, I'd love to be able to walk into a gig, bass on back, helix on one hand and powered speaker in the other.

Both guitarists in my band also use a Helix with a Yammy DXR10 and we don't play that loud - just as loud as an unmiked sensible drummer. At the moment, we rely on stage amps to fill the room and occasionally we'll mic the bass drum but that's it, however, we are looking at running into the PA (2x DXR12, no subs - like I say, we don't play crazy loud).  Even with my meagre rig, I've been asked to turn down (my Yamaha Attitude really does kick serious donkey without much help!).

Also looking at the QSC K12.2 which seems popular amongst the bass fraternity.  Just wondering if it's over two times as good as the price suggests. Has anyone done a direct comparison?

FWIW, last couple of time playing I ran the Helix's hpf up to 50hz without issue and could possibly have gone a couple of hz higher, so I'm almost confident one of these will have enough low end for my uses but would like some reassurance. Band is a covers band that plays a mix of rock and pop at pubs and weddings.

11 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Does anyone have any experience with the Headrush FRFR 112? 

My understanding is that the Headrush 112 is very similar to the Alto TS312.  I've used neither, but there were some recent comments here which are favourable to the Alto: 

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/339937-frfr-advice-compact-monitors/?do=findComment&comment=3732820

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/339937-frfr-advice-compact-monitors/?do=findComment&comment=3732846

• Like 1

The other comparison I'd be really interested in would be the different RCF 12" speakers: 312 (£343) vs 712 (£430) vs HD12 (£581) vs 732 (£688) vs HD32 (£843).

Anyone want to buy all five and let me know the answer? 

• Haha 1