Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

I use a right angled jack with mine, just use the standard locking IEC cable it came with and never had a problem. When it's in use you can put your hand underneath and feel if there is any pressure on the cable and there's barely any which is good enough for me. I can understand not wanting even a slight bit of pressure with a jack or XLR cable as they are more prone to breaking but with an IEC lead it's overthinking things a little.

47 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I use a right angled jack with mine, just use the standard locking IEC cable it came with and never had a problem. When it's in use you can put your hand underneath and feel if there is any pressure on the cable and there's barely any which is good enough for me. I can understand not wanting even a slight bit of pressure with a jack or XLR cable as they are more prone to breaking but with an IEC lead it's overthinking things a little.

Hmmm there is more than ‘barely any’ when I do the same check on mine but that may be because it’s on a pile carpet, I will check on a hard floor...

...no, you’re right, not enough pressure to worry about, thanks for this. I have angled jacks and now I’m happily looking at angled XLRs.

I'm just back for the rehearsal room where I've been able to mess around with the settings and get a feel for this.

Short answer is that it is absolutely incredible. It's so loud and pokey I can't imagine needing anything more than this.

The first thing I did was to print off the GK 700RB manual and set the frequency centres to the same levels on this as I was finding it too toppy and that immediately made a huge difference. I didn't touch the Q setting as I need to read a bit more about what that does first. The lowest EQ setting I took down to -5dB and EQ2 to -2dB. If this was used as an out front bass amp then I would have those values higher but I want to avoid rumble on the stage and excessive noise in general

Now I have those settings I can make small adjustments on the BDI21 to suit the room

If it works out at the gig on NYE then expect my MB500 and One10 to be up for sale on new years morning 😛

• Like 4

On 20/08/2018 at 13:10, Bridgehouse said:

Another update..

Gig on Saturday night - it was a pub having a festival. Pub Car park job.

Sounded like it was going to be average at first, but it was a decent size setup and there were loads of people there! We did the main closing slot from 9.30 to 11.00

Took the FRFR and the new Dave Hall Preamp. DI out from FRFR to FOH which was really well set up and sounded glorious. The FRFR did a great job of giving over the fullness and "authority" of the DH Preamp and it's valve goodness. Plenty of volume and saved a load of space. Once again, did it's job well.

Turned out to be the most enjoyable gig of the year so far..!

Yup. And another one.

Look what we've started here.

• Like 2

My amp is up for sale, cab has gone, most of my pedals have gone. Have done the last month with just the amp as a preamp and my wedge. The drummer uses a TD50 and guitarist is ampless. 

Once my amp sells i'll see where to go next for a pre and will upgrade the wedge. We've always had a low stage sound, I loved my rig, but lugging a 2x12 & 1kw amp for monitoring over and electric kit an a couple of little FBT 8" monitors is ridiculous! 

Edited by M@23

13 minutes ago, M@23 said:

My amp is up for sale, cab has gone, most of my pedals have gone. Have done the last month with just the amp as a preamp and my wedge. The drummer uses a TD50 and guitarist is ampless. 

Once my amp sells i'll see where to go next for a pre and will upgrade the wedge. We've always had a low stage sound, I loved my rig, but lugging a 2x12 & 1kw amp for monitoring over and electric kit an a couple of little FBT 8" monitors is ridiculous! 

IEMS ;)

41 minutes ago, M@23 said:

It is certainly an option that I've considered for a while! Drummer does because we run tracks which he queues and is all done to a click. Now I am going ampless seems a good time to commit. 

Come join us in the IEM thread!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Lol. I killed rock and roll when I started this thread.

Tho my rock and roll credentials have been restored by acquiring this:

fKeiDHH.jpg

I love my in-ears and all the RnR killing, but there’s a rig I would have loved to have owned! 

My first decent bass rig was the (rather unfortunately named) Intergrated Bass System from Marshall. Many I am sure didn’t think much of it, but I always had compliments :) This was to be the natural progression but I ended up playing lead guitar for many years instead.

6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Wtf is that fossil?

Honestly a thing of beauty! The DBS heads had over engineered power supplies and a power amp with a huge amount of headroom even for it’s seemingly tiny 400W output vs today’s standards. Looking at the schematics, the preamplifier is really nice. The only downside was that this whole rig was a hernia inducer !!

7 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

The bass guy in musical exchanges used to slap red hot chili peppers for hours on end through one of those in the early 90s, that's where it needed to stay lol. 

I’ve checked the speakers. They have never had slap played through them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Ah yes Woz! 

I remember picking up Stingrays and thinking how big and clumsy they felt, a few years later my first one was purchased from there!

I think I was too bust checking out the 20th Anniversary in the window of the Bass Centre around the corner.

Quite an interesting thread running on talkbass.com specifically about the QSC K12.2, seems to have been running since mid 2017 until Dec 2018. I thought it was worth a mention because one of the contributors is someone who works for QSC who answers a lot of the queries put to him...

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/qsc-k12-2.1287735/

• Like 2