Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

If I needed any more convincing of the FRFR route...

Just walked out of a Killing Joke gig at UEA Norwich (I lasted a song and a half), lacklustre performance, ‘orrible sound generally, but the bass! One of the muddiest, least articulate sounds I ever heard, just a low end hum and rumble with barely discernible notes. An unspecified lump rolling through a swamp. I’m sat in the car listening to Radio 4 and reading Basschat instead. All that amplification on stage and just a dirge our front.

Edited by Frank Blank
Unspeakable

33 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Just walked out of a Killing Joke gig at UEA Norwich (I lasted a song and a half), lacklustre performance, ‘orrible sound generally, but the bass! One of the muddiest, least articulate sounds I ever heard, just a low end hum and rumble with barely discernible notes. An unspecified lump rolling through a swamp. I’m sat in the car listening to Radio 4 and reading Basschat instead. All that amplification on stage and just a dirge our front.

Sorry to hear it, as I see from your location you’ve had to travel to see the gig!

The sound at the UEA can be a bit temperamental depending on the gig, but it definitely sounds like it’s far from on form tonight! Yikes! 

12 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Urgh. I went to a great lineup of Suburban Legends, Zebrahead, Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake last week. Awesome show, terrible mix. MASSIVE kick drum and vocals all night. No guitars or bass to speak of! For those of you unfamiliar with the bands it's supposed to a mix of ska, punk and pop (there's lots of great basslines and brass parts especially)but it just sounded like a rap gig.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Walker said:

I was wondering if something from the PJB range with their ceramic full range speakers may be OK for playing a guitar and bass through a Kemper? Just a thought?

If you have a PJB cab already then it'd probably sound fine, better than most bass or guitar cabs anyway. If you're looking to buy though then I think you could do better for the money. What's a PJB cab new? £400 or so? Some very good powered pa cabs around for that or not much more.

Edited by Jack
  • Thanks 1

Just got my QSC K10.2 last weekend. loving it so far. Got this as I want to simplify my gear setup and want something that I can use for guitar, bass and edrums. 

Missed that bargain K12 on andertons. Saw it before bedtime, slept on it, gone when I tried to buy the following day. 

On 27/11/2018 at 09:17, ordep said:

Just got my QSC K10.2 last weekend. loving it so far. Got this as I want to simplify my gear setup and want something that I can use for guitar, bass and edrums. 

Missed that bargain K12 on andertons. Saw it before bedtime, slept on it, gone when I tried to buy the following day. 

What are you using as a preamp? I have a bass rig. However I have a couple of QSC K10s from a previous life. (not the point 2). I am thinking that instead of a backup bass amp for gigging I can stick one in the car. Just need to figure the pre. Considering saving up for an HX Stomp. 

On 14/11/2018 at 22:09, Frank Blank said:

Had a similar experience with Parliament Funkadelic/George Clinton at the Roundhouse... Bassist was stood in front of two ampeg 8x10s and the sound was basically like a Fiat Uno with a subwoofer parked outside..> :D Way too loud so they had to scoop it to death.

As an aside, i'm now wondering, i have a little amp (Warwick BC15.1) which makes a sound i like but is 15 watts and an 8" speaker. For gigs, what's the best thing to do, show up with it and take a DI out to PA (while ignoring the laughter of the sound person- if there is one!) or slave it to a bigger speaker? Or mic it, as i think part of what i like is the compression from the little speaker?

• Like 1

I’ve just bought a QSC K12.2 to use with my Kemper. I had a 10 minute play last night and it’s incredible. I’m lucky enough to have a hand-wired B-15 Heritage and the B-15 profiles I have on the Kemper are just as satisfying to play.

Quick technical question – can I leave the QSC switched on and just power it up/down using the wall socket switch? Or is that a bad thing to do?

Thanks, and long live rock’n’roll.

12 minutes ago, Walker said:

I’ve just bought a QSC K12.2 to use with my Kemper. I had a 10 minute play last night and it’s incredible. I’m lucky enough to have a hand-wired B-15 Heritage and the B-15 profiles I have on the Kemper are just as satisfying to play.

Quick technical question – can I leave the QSC switched on and just power it up/down using the wall socket switch? Or is that a bad thing to do?

Thanks, and long live rock’n’roll.

And another one!

There's only a comparatively small user base for Kemper bass users but it is an incredible piece of kit - as you've no doubt found out. And the fact that you now you can take a clone of your Heritage out without the risk of damage to the real thing is big plus right? And you can play it at volume without it going into too much overdrive (or the opposite if need be) at any volume is perfect, right?

Welcome to the future... that is now! You can see why the dinosaurs became extinct can't you?

re:switch. I personally would always use the switch on the back of the QSC but I can't see why you shouldn't power it on and off using the wall switch... the fuse on the power amp in the speaker should do its job just in the same way should there be a surge with the initial inrush of power. Primarily, the switch on the speakers is there - I believe - to stop any thuds so that you can power on the mixer and then power on the active cab. I'm pretty sure that the Kemper doesn't thud when it's booted up so you should be OK on that front also.

• Like 1

I totally agree. It's just so easy.

I was also playing a heavily overdriven Dumble profile on guitar with my kids asleep above me. And that Dumble only cost me a couple of pounds.

Thanks for the info on the switch - I was unsure if the switch may initiate some sort of pre-programmed internal power-up sequence, but I suppose it is a speaker and not a space shuttle!

9 hours ago, Walker said:

I have just asked my local music shop to get a QSC K12.2 in to try, looking forward to it!

...and contributing to the death of RnR, obv.

9 hours ago, Walker said:

All of the ones that are in installs will be switched on and off on the wall all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

IMG-20181205-182527.jpg

Once we get these in ears fired up after Xmas my only FOH sound will be from the RCF 735s and hopefully the guitarist will be ampless too, that should kill rock and roll off forever! 

I've just bought one of those combinations and in the process of persuading some of my band to do likewise!

9 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

IMG-20181205-182527.jpg

Once we get these in ears fired up after Xmas my only FOH sound will be from the RCF 735s and hopefully the guitarist will be ampless too, that should kill rock and roll off forever! 

I'm curious, what's that kind of setup set you back?

3 hours ago, charic said:

I'm curious, what's that kind of setup set you back?

Less than you may think...

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-P2-Ultra-Compact-Personal-In-Ear-Monitor-Amplifier/26FN

£26

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KZ-ZS10-Ear-Earphone-HiFi-Sport-Headsets-4BA-1DD-Dynamic-Hybrid-Headphones-New/253789948978?hash=item3b170f4c32:rk:1:pf:0&var

£29.85

And then an XLR/Jack to Jack of your choice - and maybe an adapter for your mixer depending upon what you have. This setup will give you a balanced mono feed or an unbalanced stereo feed - again, depending upon how many free auxes that you have.

If you check out the big inears thread -

, you'll see that this particular combo is becoming the basschat staple introduction to IEMs... and it gives a pretty good sound with a good amount of headroom (those ZS10s are 5 drivers per side!))

Edited by EBS_freak