Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

Hi,

Is anyone using a 8" FRFR for practice and quiet gigs ?

I have been looking for a decent practice amp that can do the above and thought a decent 8" Powered PA cab would do it and could also be used by other instruments, failing that a 10" would be the obvious upgrade 

I have two of the Alto TX10s, I use one of them for home practice sometimes and I have very occasionally used one on a gig but that's purely to point right at my face for personal monitoring only. You'd have to have a really nice 8" or 10" frfr cab to hang with a band, the cheaper ones won't do it IME.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, funky8884 said:

Hi,

I have been looking for a decent practice amp that can do the above and thought a decent 8" Powered PA cab would do it and could also be used by other instruments, failing that a 10" would be the obvious upgrade 

Headphones for practice? 

On 23/08/2018 at 15:04, EBS_freak said:

Interestingly enough, did they have any feedback about your rig post the gig - or were they a "don't care as long as I have a sound" types?

When I set the bass player up with my "emergency" patch I showed him how to make any adjustments if required, but I played a couple of riffs and then said "no that sounds great, leave it as it is". It really did sound good too, both on stage and out front.

This is indeed an interesting FRFR thread, so much so , that it takes me back to the mid 1970's when I first picked up the bass, and for several years played through a Carlsbro Marlin PA amp and 4 x 12 speaker cabinet owing to the fact that I needed an amp into which I could put a couple of mics as well as my bass guitar and EKO bass pedals. My bass sound was generally pretty thin and lack lustre until I eventually got a rather beefy Carlsbro bass combo and gradually upgraded and improved the bass sound over the years. So it seemes like we've come full circle where I might need to be looking at getting a powered PA cab to hook up with my Helix LT. I presently use an aguilar TH500 and 2 SL112 cabs. I've not had the chance to try out the Helix with the Aguilar yet but plan on using the power section of the amp pro tem.

Thanks for all your interesting comments and ideas on this thread.

On 27/08/2018 at 14:23, funky8884 said:

Hi,

I tried but even with cab sims it goes PTTTHHHFFFFBBBBBBB on the low notes... :D

• Thanks 1

I lost my FRFR virginity last night. The venue have a set of mains installed so that freed me up to use one of my FBT12a's as a monitor. I took a jack from my B1xon straight into the desk and eq'd via the desk then back into the monitor. 

The set up was definitely adequate but I think it would be good to split the signal so I could inependently eq the on stage sound.

I get the impression most folks are going into the desk via some kind of di box and an XLR. Is there any reason I shouldn't just use the jack out from my Zoom?

1 hour ago, King Tut said:

IThe set up was definitely adequate but I think it would be good to split the signal so I could inependently eq the on stage sound.

I get the impression most folks are going into the desk via some kind of di box and an XLR. Is there any reason I shouldn't just use the jack out from my Zoom?

I have a similar setup also based around a Zoom unit.

The Zoom B1Xon sends an unbalanced signal, which can pick up noise.  A DI box converts the unbalanced signal to a balanced signal, which can cancel out any noise.  This explains it better:  http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/  - "An unbalanced cable acts like an antenna and picks up noise."

A DI box will have two outputs: balanced XLR and unbalanced jack.  I send the XLR to the desk, and the jack to my monitor.

I use an MXR M81 which has DI and also some EQ.  I use it in "pre" EQ mode, which means the XLR signal is unaffected by the EQ i.e. the desk gets the signal exactly as it came from the Zoom.  Any EQ adjustments only affects the jack output i.e. my monitor.

A possibly cheaper way is to use separate DI box and EQ pedal. I used to do it this way with a Behringer DI box and an Artec EQ pedal.  The MXR just happens to do it in one unit.

This is all assuming you want just the bass in your monitor.  If you want other instruments then you'll have definitely have to go via the desk, and the solution will be different.

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 1

Yup, bass amp is now fully redundant. After much experimentation and alternating gigs with and without backline... QSC in kick back as monitor, with separate bass feed into it (so I can have a bass heavy mix) and viola, low stage volumes, all bass through front of house pa. everyone’s happy. Mesa Subway DI lets me split the signal and control volume from the pedal. Simple. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Musashimonkey said:

Yup, bass amp is now fully redundant. After much experimentation and alternating gigs with and without backline... QSC in kick back as monitor, with separate bass feed into it (so I can have a bass heavy mix) and viola, low stage volumes, all bass through front of house pa. everyone’s happy. Mesa Subway DI lets me split the signal and control volume from the pedal. Simple. 

K10.2 or k12.2 ?

1 hour ago, paulmcnamara said:

Has anyone knowledge or experience of: the Laney Lfr112? Apparently it can be used for a number of different instruments...........

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 11.31.00.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 11.33.21.png

The mai. Question would be is it designed to cope with high transient low freq that bass creates? 

4 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

The mai. Question would be is it designed to cope with high transient low freq that bass creates? 

It's also 200W, which could be a limiting factor with the single 12" speaker. I'm hesitant over the low end roll off at 47hz and an SPL of 129dB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

1 hour ago, Dood said:

It's also 200W, which could be a limiting factor with the single 12" speaker. I'm hesitant over the low end roll off at 47hz and an SPL of 129dB. 

The specs and even the shape of the thing suggest to me that it’s aimed squarely at guitarists. I suspect this won’t do a great job with bass at all...

• Like 2

On 08/09/2018 at 22:03, Dood said:

The RCF NX45 I would love but I keep coming back to the K12.2 as the cab I might go with due to budget. So, thank you for the review :)

Dan did you see the guy on Facebook looking to shift a pair of FR800s?