Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

What is wrong with me?! I saw a bergantino ip112 advertised by Manchester bass lounge on facebook and got all excited about feeding my B3n - or clean preamp, into that.... then realised I could prob get one of the fancy cabs talked about on here for similar money... but would mean not having a trad bass amp at all hmmm

33 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

What is wrong with me?! I saw a bergantino ip112 advertised by Manchester bass lounge on facebook and got all excited about feeding my B3n - or clean preamp, into that.... then realised I could prob get one of the fancy cabs talked about on here for similar money... but would mean not having a trad bass amp at all hmmm

It’s the future, man! We will pop your “I killed rock and roll” bumper sticker in the post

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

It’s the future, man! We will pop your “I killed rock and roll” bumper sticker in the post

Stickers?

Oh no, we don't use stickers round here any more. It's just that people are used to seeing stickers... if we break that mind set and open it up to the new way of working, then we can make progress. Not only do we kill rock n roll... lets kill sticker bombs too.

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Stickers?

Oh no, we don't use stickers round here any more. It's just that people are used to seeing stickers... if we break that mind set and open it up to the new way of working, then we can make progress. Not only do we kill rock n roll... lets kill sticker bombs too.

“I killed rock and roll” rear view mirror car air freshener?

Another update..

Gig on Saturday night - it was a pub having a festival. Pub Car park job.

Sounded like it was going to be average at first, but it was a decent size setup and there were loads of people there! We did the main closing slot from 9.30 to 11.00

Took the FRFR and the new Dave Hall Preamp. DI out from FRFR to FOH which was really well set up and sounded glorious. The FRFR did a great job of giving over the fullness and "authority" of the DH Preamp and it's valve goodness. Plenty of volume and saved a load of space. Once again, did it's job well.

Turned out to be the most enjoyable gig of the year so far..!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Another update..

Gig on Saturday night - it was a pub having a festival. Pub Car park job.

Sounded like it was going to be average at first, but it was a decent size setup and there were loads of people there! We did the main closing slot from 9.30 to 11.00

Took the FRFR and the new Dave Hall Preamp. DI out from FRFR to FOH which was really well set up and sounded glorious. The FRFR did a great job of giving over the fullness and "authority" of the DH Preamp and it's valve goodness. Plenty of volume and saved a load of space. Once again, did it's job well.

Turned out to be the most enjoyable gig of the year so far..!

Keep these gig reports coming, folks! I imagine they’re very useful for those reading the thread who are undecided about killing Rock & Roll 😬

Edited by CameronJ
  • Haha 1

OK.... i'm seriously considering this approach. I have just sold my TC rig and am looking for an FRFR speaker and preamp. If you are doing it - what did you buy and how effective has it been. I want to make the right choice now rather than buying/selling/buying/selling etc. I don't really use effects at all as most of the gigs i do are theatre based gigs, so I am just looking to replace a bass rig with a wedge and preamp. I had a Dave Hall VT1 (the older version) and this was a very nice pre... Guys - give me your recommendations! Money is limited so will be probably aiming to buy used....

28 minutes ago, carlsim said:

OK.... i'm seriously considering this approach. I have just sold my TC rig and am looking for an FRFR speaker and preamp. If you are doing it - what did you buy and how effective has it been. I want to make the right choice now rather than buying/selling/buying/selling etc. I don't really use effects at all as most of the gigs i do are theatre based gigs, so I am just looking to replace a bass rig with a wedge and preamp. I had a Dave Hall VT1 (the older version) and this was a very nice pre... Guys - give me your recommendations! Money is limited so will be probably aiming to buy used....

I have the Line 6 Helix LT ready for an FRFR cabinet.. and my 'dream try out' is an RCF NX45a. However I neither have the funds or the opportunity to try out something that may well prove to be total overkill.. but then, since when did I ever do things by half?! lol

QSC K12.2 is a speaker I keep coming back to look at but again I don't have any specifics to compare with right now. I'd love to hear the Yamaha DZR models too as they are brand new and could well be an interesting option verses say the DSR (and DXR mentioned)

40 minutes ago, carlsim said:

were the Yamaha DXRs nowhere near as good then? I guitarist friend has a Kemper and uses a DXR, but not sure how good they would be for bass...

I tried both. The QSC sounded better in a side by side comparison - just more responsive and a more natural bass sound to my ear (YMMV)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Sheesh - so much so you didn’t even need to get your bass out it’s case

Well when you play with modelling andd FRFR it's not really playing is it? You'll notice that's in my living room, I just didn't see the point in actually taking it to the gig, rock and roll is dead anyway.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have a Line6 Helix (floor version) and an RCF745. Both bought new so total cost approximately £2000.

That might sound a lot but my small rig mostly bought second hand was almost £1500, and my big rig (again mostly second hand) was well over £2000. When you consider the Helix/FRFR option is considerably smaller than even the small rig and sounds better and is far more versatile than either the big or the small rig, and will also replaces my complete guitar rig, you can see it's a no-brainer for me. By the time I've sold both bass rigs and the guitar stuff I expect to come out with a profit!

At a recent gig I got a last minute request from the headlining band who were travelling from Newcastle to ask if they can use my bass rig. After explaining to them what it was they said that anything would be most welcome, so I quickly set them up with a patch comprising one of the bass amps and 4x10 cab model. I adjusted all the EQ settings to 5 (mid point) and added a compressor module (switched off) in case they needed it. The bass player plugged in and had a great sound without needing any further adjustment.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I have a Line6 Helix (floor version) and an RCF745. Both bought new so total cost approximately £2000.

That might sound a lot but my small rig mostly bought second hand was almost £1500, and my big rig (again mostly second hand) was well over £2000. When you consider the Helix/FRFR option is considerably smaller than even the small rig and sounds better and is far more versatile than either the big or the small rig, and will also replaces my complete guitar rig, you can see it's a no-brainer for me. By the time I've sold both bass rigs and the guitar stuff I expect to come out with a profit!

At a recent gig I got a last minute request from the headlining band who were travelling from Newcastle to ask if they can use my bass rig. After explaining to them what it was they said that anything would be most welcome, so I quickly set them up with a patch comprising one of the bass amps and 4x10 cab model. I adjusted all the EQ settings to 5 (mid point) and added a compressor module (switched off) in case they needed it. The bass player plugged in and had a great sound without needing any further adjustment.

FFS - not only are you killing Rock n Roll, you are systematically destroying it for everybody else. You complete b*tard.

Interestingly enough, did they have any feedback about your rig post the gig - or were they a "don't care as long as I have a sound" types?

Anyway, the other point you make is very valid. I sold my Fender Twin as my Kemper now takes care of that... and a load more extra that I never owned in the first place.

Thing is it’s not really killing rock and roll is it? It’s the logical next step on the question of lightweight high volume speakers and amps with more and more digital technology in it. 

Like when it came out a TC electronics RH450 or 750  footswutch and a set of speaker cabs wasn’t a million miles from what BigRedX spent on his rig .... and essentially they are doing the same thing... just one is a hell of a lot more limited than the other