Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

Right. 

Been away all weekend in a studio with 20 guitarists, a drummer and a studio engineer for a Jam weekend. 

Took the k10.2 and borrowed a preamp with a valve in it. 

It lapped it up. Sounded brilliant. Was loud enough to balance against a drummer 3 feet away in a room 6m square, with up to 3 guitarists all thrashing it through some pretty big expensive amps with 2x12’s and 4x12’s plus vocals PA.

Didn’t flinch once and never felt I didn’t have enough welly. Stuck a lot of drive on the Preamp pedal - and on one song I hit a massive low E at one point and got stares from 3 guitarists, a vocalist and a drummer who all had a “wtf where did THAT come from?!”

Chuffed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Right. 

Been away all weekend in a studio with 20 guitarists, a drummer and a studio engineer for a Jam weekend. 

Took the k10.2 and borrowed a preamp with a valve in it. 

It lapped it up. Sounded brilliant. Was loud enough to balance against a drummer 3 feet away in a room 6m square, with up to 3 guitarists all thrashing it through some pretty big expensive amps with 2x12’s and 4x12’s plus vocals PA.

Didn’t flinch once and never felt I didn’t have enough welly. Stuck a lot of drive on the Preamp pedal - and on one song I hit a massive low E at one point and got stares from 3 guitarists, a vocalist and a drummer who all had a “wtf where did THAT come from?!”

Chuffed.

That brought a smile to my face! Good to hear that even a "mere" 10-incher can shake the room and strike fear into the hearts of your bandmates! It'll be a long while off yet but I really can't wait for the first time i get to use my HD32a at war volume...😈

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

That brought a smile to my face! Good to hear that even a "mere" 10-incher can shake the room and strike fear into the hearts of your bandmates! It'll be a long while off yet but I really can't wait for the first time i get to use my HD32a at war volume...😈

They were a diverse bunch - from total beginners to pro level full timers in big function bands to originals, long term shredders, blues freaks and everything in between. Some of the amps were epic 200w all tube guitar heads - granted they weren’t on full chat but man they had some girth

My little 10.2 didn’t skip a beat or let me down at all. No parping out and enough depth to just about keep up ;)

But the real advantage? All my gear fitted in the boot along with my bedding, and it was DI’d into the desk for recording. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

They were a diverse bunch - from total beginners to pro level full timers in big function bands to originals, long term shredders, blues freaks and everything in between. Some of the amps were epic 200w all tube guitar heads - granted they weren’t on full chat but man they had some girth

My little 10.2 didn’t skip a beat or let me down at all. No parping out and enough depth to just about keep up ;)

But the real advantage? All my gear fitted in the boot along with my bedding, and it was DI’d into the desk for recording. 

Glorious. What did you use as a preamp? Presumably not Helix?

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

The guy at the studio had a Dave hall preamp - and as I’m thinking of getting one I decided to try it. The valve tone was pretty damn good. 

Oooh. I was toying with the propect of one of his new VT1-Pros a while back. Didn't pull the trigger, mainly because the TC Spectradrive came out, which I have also failed to pull the trigger on. So here I am, preampless and barren.

• Like 1

As an aside - bass was mostly my ACG Finn 4 with the recent P-Retro upgrade. Very nice. Highlights were nailing a version of Boulevard of Broken Dreams, managing a good thud tone for Come Together, doing a fun version of Power of Love, managing enough dirt to do Zombie and being in awe of someone with the talent to pull off a very good version of the EVH solo from Beat It... 

1 minute ago, CameronJ said:

Oooh. I was toying with the propect of one of his new VT1-Pros a while back. Didn't pull the trigger, mainly because the TC Spectradrive came out, which I have also failed to pull the trigger on. So here I am, preampless and barren.

It was great. More versatile than I thought. The EQ stage is nice and flexible - it’s really authentic genuine drive, and the output feels very “amp and cab”. I do think the P-Retro Preamp helped - but I also chucked the new semi hollow and a standard P though it and it did a really admirable job of sounding like a P bass going through a good quality valve amp and head that was then mic’d up. I know a mic’d up sound is always different from live, but I really couldn’t criticise it at all. There was a rumble 500 with a fender 4x10 in the studio which I compared and contrasted with - there was more volume out of the 4x10 (well, dur..) but it didn’t have as much fruity character to it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Well I hope you are all happy with yourself.

If it’s not bad enough having the loss of Barry Chuckle to deal with, Rock n Roll is a tall order.

Don’t worry, I witnessed so much “check out my all valve tweed hand wired iron chassis head made from air dryed 100 year old special tone wood into my 24x12 mega uber face-melt-o-cab with my epic totally exact replica of a Les Paul custom double cut special with authentic neck break, weak heel joint and dangerous wiring” along with hair metal shred-widdling-till-your-eyes-fall-out this weekend to ensure rock and roll will remain firmly alive in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s for at least another 20 years. 

We are deceiving ourselves. We think we are killing rock and roll. There are guitarists out there yet to discover the 1970s.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Don’t worry, I witnessed so much “check out my all valve tweed hand wired iron chassis head made from air dryed 100 year old special tone wood into my 24x12 mega uber face-melt-o-cab with my epic totally exact replica of a Les Paul custom double cut special with authentic neck break, weak heel joint and dangerous wiring” along with hair metal shred-widdling-till-your-eyes-fall-out this weekend to ensure rock and roll will remain firmly alive in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s for at least another 20 years. 

We are deceiving ourselves. We think we are killing rock and roll. There are guitarists out there yet to discover the 1970s.

Oh bloody hell - that is a tragic state of affairs. I guess I'm kind of spoiled to work in the theatre scene (as an actor, not usually a musician) and monitors & IEMs are totally the norm for bands in shows. Seeing as my mother's milk is scarce out of me (I'm the ripe old age of 27) I just don't harbour any nostalgia for tubes and valves.

10 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Oh bloody hell - that is a tragic state of affairs. I guess I'm kind of spoiled to work in the theatre scene (as an actor, not usually a musician) and monitors & IEMs are totally the norm for bands in shows. Seeing as my mother's milk is scarce out of me (I'm the ripe old age of 27) I just don't harbour any nostalgia for tubes and valves.

If the standard for all bands were Avioms, the world would be a better place... and there would be less ringing ears!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CameronJ said:

I just don't harbour any nostalgia for tubes and valves.

Me neither, and I think when I looked at the helix after folk in this thread were raving about it - it modelled amps I was meh about, and not £1k meh enough

edit: just looked again, they have added more now so slightly less valid :)

Edited by LukeFRC

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Me neither, and I think when I looked at the helix after folk in this thread were raving about it - it modelled amps I was meh about, and not £1k meh enough

The Helix is very capable... especially if you are into effects... and Line6 are adding to it all the time for bass players. So they obviously have clocked there's a market for it.

I'm similar though - I use a Kemper and use probably about 5% of it's capability. I use two profiles - both of channels strips. The channel strips I am modelling are each the price of the Kemper itself... so I guess I'm still up in terms of outlay... but with the added fx and foot controller  etc.

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

The Helix is very capable... especially if you are into effects... and Line6 are adding to it all the time for bass players. So they obviously have clocked there's a market for it.

I'm similar though - I use a Kemper and use probably about 5% of it's capability. I use two profiles - both of channels strips. The channel strips I am modelling are each the price of the Kemper itself... so I guess I'm still up in terms of outlay... but with the added fx and foot controller  etc.

Out of interest which channel strips? 

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Out of interest which channel strips? 

My two in action now are a Chandler preamp that was profiled through a Neve desk. And a Focusrite channelstrip - although that does get rotated with a SSL profile.

59 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I've floated this idea once or twice! I'll get there eventually...

They are beginning to get affordable. Behringer for one are trying to push it with their Ultranet... which to be fair is a very capable system. Obviously, there's the ME1 also but that's not really cheap... just an alternative to Aviom.

On 06/08/2018 at 07:34, LukeFRC said:

I think the thing with modelling devices is not to get bogged down with the amps/cabs/effects they are supposed to be modelling and just play with the sounds. None of my patches use a cab sim and only two of them use an amp sim and that was because I the drive sound of that particular amp gave me the right tone for the song.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I think the thing with modelling devices is not to get bogged down with the amps/cabs/effects they are supposed to be modelling and just play with the sounds. None of my patches use a cab sim and only two of them use an amp sim and that was because I the drive sound of that particular amp gave me the right tone for the song.

Absolutely! - And, as we are seeing with everyone throwing in high pass filters to remove the stodge from their sound and boosting the mids to 'cut through the mix, often just opting for a guitar type cabinet will suffice. Yup, using the ears instead of the eyes to, as you say, give the right tone for a particular setting, song or environment. Interestingly, I have added a cab sim to one of my chains but as yet it has remained off. So, for me, no amp or cab time in there at all. 

Cor blimey. It gets better. 

I purchased a DHA VTI-EQ-DI-STD from @TPJ

Tried it into front end of Helix, through monitors and phones. Then DI into the K10.2.

Blimey. 

I have a few Preamp DI pedals but this is something else. The valve Preamp makes a massive difference - the K10.2 sounds more cab like than it ever has and the warmth, punch, definition and tone is unbelievable. I tried the 64P in and it just came alive. 

Wow.

U2vuYYb.jpg

Edited by Bridgehouse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

Cor blimey. It gets better. 

I purchased a DHA VTI-EQ-DI-STD from @TPJ

Tried it into front end of Helix, through monitors and phones. Then DI into the K10.2.

Blimey. 

I have a few Preamp DI pedals but this is something else. The valve Preamp makes a massive difference - the K10.2 sounds more cab like than it ever has and the warmth, punch, definition and tone is unbelievable. I tried the 64P in and it just came alive. 

Wow.

U2vuYYb.jpg

Very nice. Now I’m considering the DHA VT1 Pro...do you have any sound clips of bass straight into the QSC vs bass>DHA>QSC? 

3 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Very nice. Now I’m considering the DHA VT1 Pro...do you have any sound clips of bass straight into the QSC vs bass>DHA>QSC? 

No, but I could have a go - I’d struggle to mic up the QSC tho. 

Let me have a think.