Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

Most of the presets sounded more like options for vocal monitoring to me rather than for FOH or instrument use, from memory only the dance and default presets sounded like something I'd want to use in that regard, obviously the bass amp preset for bass monitoring too. Would be nice if there was some more information in the manual.

5 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Most of the presets sounded more like options for vocal monitoring to me rather than for FOH or instrument use, from memory only the dance and default presets sounded like something I'd want to use in that regard, obviously the bass amp preset for bass monitoring too. Would be nice if there was some more information in the manual.

What happened to all the shaping done at the desk? Sometimes things can be over complicated!

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

What happened to all the shaping done at the desk? Sometimes things can be over complicated!

Exactly, for live use this is the point. However the QSC has a 3rd 3.5mm input for hooking up a laptop/tablet/whatever to play music so I can see how the dance preset would be useful for omtting a desk entirely if you wanted to use it to provide music at a bbq or something - just plug your phone or whatever in and you're away. I'll use the bass amp preset in most cases if I'm just plugging straight into it at home, treating it like a combo amp so I don't have to get a preamp pedal out for a quick play..

Basically it encourages laziness which I'm all up for.

When I tried the QSC it wasn’t billed as a standard PA speaker, or actually as an frfr as such - the marketing bumf suggested it was a multi-use cab for a variety of instrument, vocal, live and recorded music applications.

As such, the dsp stuff is clearly there for a wider range of applications, for people who are just using one out and about or whatever.

I didn’t buy mine based on that at all. I had it set to a default flat eq and a/b’d it with a DXR10 and another. It was flat out better at bass - by a significant margin. It felt better quality and was in special so the price difference was small. 

I use it as a monitor with DI in from a preamp, and pass through out to the desk. 

I have used the “bass” setting as a stand-alone - it makes a good backup if my pedal board failed 2 mins before the gig - I’d plug straight in and get on with it. 

It was always bought as a small footprint easy to cart about live rig when I didn’t need to provide lots of backline heft. I have an EICH t1000 and a vanderkley 2x10 1200w cab for that. In its bag, I can carry it, and a pedalboard and a bass in one trip from car to venue, and take up virtually no space on board at all. I can point it at me directly for monitoring. Sound engineers love the fact they just plug in to it and don’t have to worry about a bass monitor. 

The rest of the band love it as I take up little room, don’t wash out the sound, and I even angle it towards the drummer to give him a bit more. He loves it too. Our keys player bought one for monitoring such was his enamour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 13/07/2018 at 23:01, EBS_freak said:

On 14/07/2018 at 01:02, Jus Lukin said:

Quite! Surely FRFR should be full-range flat-response by default.

Regardless of the pre-amp/amp sim one uses to stop it being FRFR.

I can see a well thought out EQ being useful for the likes of Helix users. Sure, I could set up an EQ on Helix for FOH and one for monitoring on stage utilising separate outputs. However this does lead to a couple of small issues. The first is having to replicate all of those settings across all patches. If you edit one patch you're going to have to edit the lot if your EQ settings have changed. The other I suppose is that you could be taking up valuable chain space and at a push, in stereo a EQ with many bands is said to take up processing power (in the manual I think).

So for me, I think having the option of a powerful EQ on board the active speaker will mean that those EQ settings can stay the same and Helix wouldn't have to be adjusted as much.

On 17/04/2018 at 22:53, jrixn1 said:

I'm still really happy with my FRFR powered speaker (a modest RCF HD 10-A).  I sold my Genz Benz head and Barefaced cabs. The only thing I've changed about my setup is an EQ pedal, which I've added post-DI.  I use it mainly for its volume control - it makes it slightly easier to adjust my on-stage volume without having to find the powered speaker's gain control (which is located on the back panel).

DSCF1888.JPG

Hi , do you have Front of House support when you play ?

3 hours ago, funky8884 said:

Hi everybody,

Does anyone know if the QSC 10 and QSC 10.2 have the same hardware ( Amp and Driver )  ?

The driver is the same - not sure about the amp tho. There’s a k10 and a k10.2 in our band and they are very similar tonally and volume wise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, funky8884 said:

Hi , do you have Front of House support when you play ?

It depends on the gig.  Mostly I do have FOH support, and I use the powered speaker as a monitor.  But some of the smaller gigs there isn't FOH and so I use it as a backline.

I actually currently have three RCF speakers - two HD 10-A and one 732-A - as I am figuring out which options work best for me overall.

For example, last night I used the 732-A as backline at a wedding, doubling with a six-piece band (drums, keys, two horns, vocals).

IMG_20180721_200748.thumb.jpg.a7d8a6673be5232aae5093797b4c4931.jpg

(The QSC K10 on the pole was just for the vocals).

The venue was this place - it's not a huge room, but the doors were open like in the photo and many people were outside.

mqs-occ-venue-la-belle-epoque-conservatory02_1280x998.thumb.jpg.d8b0c69eded089eaaae836647431a555.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

It depends on the gig.  Mostly I do have FOH support, and I use the powered speaker as a monitor.  But some of the smaller gigs there isn't FOH and so I use it as a backline.

I actually currently have three RCF speakers - two HD 10-A and one 732-A - as I am figuring out which options work best for me overall.

For example, last night I used the 732-A as backline at a wedding, doubling with a six-piece band (drums, keys, two horns, vocals).

IMG_20180721_200748.thumb.jpg.a7d8a6673be5232aae5093797b4c4931.jpg

(The QSC K10 on the pole was just for the vocals).

The venue was this place - it's not a huge room, but the doors were open like in the photo and many people were outside.

mqs-occ-venue-la-belle-epoque-conservatory02_1280x998.thumb.jpg.d8b0c69eded089eaaae836647431a555.jpg

Thanks, how do the RCF’s sound as a dedicated bass amp ? 

I’m looking at replacing my bass rig  with a powered speaker and hopefully use the wedge and an amp for small gigs 

1 hour ago, funky8884 said:

I’m looking at replacing my bass rig  with a powered speaker and hopefully use the wedge and an amp for small gigs 

My setup is quite straightforward - a Fishman clone for upright and an Xotic Bass BB clone for bass guitar (P bass with flats).

Zero regrets about selling all my bass amps and cabs.  FWIW those were Genz Benz & Barefaced, then before that Gallien Krueger & Hartke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@jrixn1 - good to hear your experiences. So then, agreed, your best rig ever? And by some long shot I'm guessing? The speakers in PA cabs are just far better than the ones found in your standard offerings... and with the DSP, any inadequacies in the cabs are catered for digitally. What's not to like, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, funky8884 said:

Hi jrixn1,  do you put kick through the 10's when you use the 732-A as a dedicated Bass amp or do you have a sub ?

Thanks 

Wade

37 minutes ago, funky8884 said:

Hi jrixn1,  do you put kick through the 10's when you use the 732-A as a dedicated Bass amp or do you have a sub ?

For gigs when there is no PA support (like in my above photo):

• the RCF is behind me, providing bass for both the stage and the room
  • the QSC K10s are just for vocals (and maybe horns)
  • the kick was unamplified
  • keys had his own backline amp

However, typically we do have PA support, which is two QSC KSubs along with the K10s, in which case:

• the RCF is in front of me as a stage monitor (just with bass through it)
  • everything for FOH goes through the QSC PA (vocals, bass, kick, keys, and everything else)

(BTW... the K10s might in fact be K8s - I can't remember.)

55 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

@jrixn1 - good to hear your experiences. So then, agreed, your best rig ever? 

For a reasonable definition of "best", then yes!

Would not have kept with it if I felt it was a downgrade or compromise.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

For gigs when there is no PA support (like in my above photo):

• the RCF is behind me, providing bass for both the stage and the room
  • the QSC K10s are just for vocals (and maybe horns)
  • the kick was unamplified
  • keys had his own backline amp

However, typically we do have PA support, which is two QSC KSubs along with the K10s, in which case:

• the RCF is in front of me as a stage monitor (just with bass through it)
  • everything for FOH goes through the QSC PA (vocals, bass, kick, keys, and everything else)

(BTW... the K10s might in fact be K8s - I can't remember.)

Thanks 

39 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

For a reasonable definition of "best", then yes!

Would not have kept with it if I felt it was a downgrade or compromise.

Good stuff. I think there's a mind set to get away from the look of the cab - but for everything else, I just haven't used anything better. I bet the double bass sounds stellar through it.

Just now, EBS_freak said:

Good stuff. I think there's a mind set to get away from the look of the cab - but for everything else, I just haven't used anything better. I bet the double bass sounds stellar through it.

Mind set - interesting. I was thinking that a few weeks back. 

Turned up to do a festival on a pretty big stage and the sound man took one look at the pedal train nano and the K10.2 and said "er, is that it? where's the head and cab?"

After explaining, he mumbled something about weirdness and plugged into the through port on the QSC.

Afterwards he wandered over and said he liked the bass sound very much and found mixing the FOH bass much easier as there wasn't a massive big cab blaring it out which he had no control over. I had my onstage monitor, rest of the band was happy, soundman was happy. It's a mind set.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1