Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

59 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I think the RCF HD32-A is at that size/price point too from memory. That's what I'd have gone for if the K10.2 wasn't so tiny, although i am getting sick of explaining to people where my amp is.

Just reading reviews and there's a suggestion that the HD32-A outperforms the Yamaha DXR15 for low end extension. The QSC, well that's the only one I've heard doing bass (and actually that was the 8.2 which sound great!)

So maybe it's between the QSC and RCF.I think the 745's would probably be very good, but I.. just... 

1 minute ago, lemmywinks said:

This is the thing, it doesn't cure GAS at all. It just makes you want to buy a ton of preamp pedals.

Yes, I had a quick look and was all..”oooh AC30!!”.. then.. “ooooh 5150!”.. paused at “Mesa!” Then had to drag myself away at Engl Savage ha!

I was listening to some desk recordings a few weeks ago (our guitarist just bought the 32 channel Mackie iPad desk thingy where you can master tracks down individually) and thinking how great the bass sounds just coming straight from the Fishman, pretty much the sound I went through a ton of amps trying to achieve. Went home really pleased with my tiny but great live rig yet a couple of hours later I almost bought a GK Plex just out of curiosity, had to have a word with myself and remove it from the virtual basket.

• Haha 1

Just now, stevie said:

Is anyone going directly into the Line In of these PA cabs rather than using a preamp?

The QSC k10.2 has a specific “bass” dsp setting and I’ve tried it - it’s good, but I prefer the colouring a Pre-amp gives 

I use mine with the Bass Amp preset most of the time, the preamp pedal I use doesn't really add any voicing to the signal though. I just like the sound of my bass straight into the desk so I've gone for the simplest option really, save for just plugging the bass straight in. Even fewer reasons for me to go shopping for £200+ pedals I don't need then!

Edited by lemmywinks
grammar

12 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I use mine with the Bass Amp preset most of the time, the preamp pedal I use doesn't really add any voicing to the signal though. I just like the sound of my bass straight into the desk so I've gone for the simplest option really, save for just plugging the bass straight in. Even fewer reasons for me to go shopping for £200+ pedals I don't need then!

Lol. I wish I liked that setup. I think the bass preset is fine, and tbh at a push I’d use it straight in for a gig and be perfectly happy.

But the side effect of this blimmin’ frfr journey has been the almost unquenchable desire to possess every preamp Di pedal known to man. 

I have 4 so far (poor show I know) but that’s purely through self restraint. I can easily see me having 400

I was feeding my zoom B3 into the return on my amp and it sounded amazing - I’m able to tune the B3 to what I want far better than straight into an amp - made me wonder again if I really need an amp and just get a FRFR pa speaker 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

I was feeding my zoom B3 into the return on my amp and it sounded amazing - I’m able to tune the B3 to what I want far better than straight into an amp - made me wonder again if I really need an amp and just get a FRFR pa speaker 

*whispers*

Do it.. kill rock and roll, kill it.. go on.. kill it

:)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Last night at the rehearsal room I had no joy plugging my Helix directly in to the "bass amp" on offer. So I decided on the PA instead. It offered a much better tone given it's pair of 2x12 cabinets but still it was pretty puny after years of battering. Just think, rocking up with essentially a high powered, easy to carry, great sounding combo that will handle everything, even playing MP3's to help band mates learn the songs they should have before they rocked up to rehearsal :) :) :) 

I just need to have an opportunity to test drive the best offerings discussed in this thread and maybe those that haven't.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dood said:

Last night at the rehearsal room I had no joy plugging my Helix directly in to the "bass amp" on offer. So I decided on the PA instead. It offered a much better tone given it's pair of 2x12 cabinets but still it was pretty puny after years of battering. Just think, rocking up with essentially a high powered, easy to carry, great sounding combo that will handle everything, even playing MP3's to help band mates learn the songs they should have before they rocked up to rehearsal :) :) :) 

I just need to have an opportunity to test drive the best offerings discussed in this thread and maybe those that haven't.

You can try my QSC k10.2 any time you like. 

4 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

You can try my QSC k10.2 any time you like. 

See this is why I love Basschat. Sir, that is a kind offer! Thank you, though I suspect I am miles from you along with the very kind gentleman who also offered up a demo of a pair of FR800's. I live in the butthole of England I think! Very much appreciated though. :) 

1 minute ago, dood said:

See this is why I love Basschat. Sir, that is a kind offer! Thank you, though I suspect I am miles from you along with the very kind gentleman who also offered up a demo of a pair of FR800's. I live in the butthole of England I think! Very much appreciated though. :) 

Where’s the butthole?!

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

Spalding for me - so a short A road trip to England’s Scrotum - any time you like, coffee on the go....

Oh Spalding! My old band (many years ago) used to play up that way. There used to be a venue called The Birds? Trying to remember where...

Just now, dood said:

Oh Spalding! My old band (many years ago) used to play up that way. There used to be a venue called The Birds? Trying to remember where...

You are certainly under an hour away - less on a good day. And I have space for a proper crank up (no close neighbours to shout) Let me know if you want to try it.

You are certainly under an hour away - less on a good day. And I have space for a proper crank up (no close neighbours to shout) Let me know if you want to try it.

Sounds great, thank you! Though you might have to keep me away from that nice collection of P's you have! :) 

(You gotta compared and contrast, right?)

Yes, yes you do! I better stock up on biscuits and diesel!  I'll see how my diary is over the next few weeks and see what I can do! ( These last few months I've literally been working 7 days a week! yikes!)

20 minutes ago, dood said:

Yes, yes you do! I better stock up on biscuits and diesel!  I'll see how my diary is over the next few weeks and see what I can do! ( These last few months I've literally been working 7 days a week! yikes!)

No problem. Any time. And any excuse for bass chat ;)