Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

Hi folks, yes, the point have been answered before I couldn't get back to the forum for a read.

Yup absolutely, I don't have anything negative to say about the FR's but those two points will mean I'll need to bring other stuff with me and I;d rather not as the idea is to travel with as few items these days as possible lol.

1 hour ago, Jack said:

As I've typed that, it's hot me that there might be a way to do it using the 4 presets. If I remember rightly, the volume is 'master' and doesn't change with the presets but I wonder if there's a way to do it with the EQ filters. I could quite happily live with a 0 and a 15dB preset, that would cover it all for me as I can adjust more than +/-15dB with my preamps.

Knowing that the presets are editable is a selling point for me, but it will be a faff as the editor is windows only and I'm a Mac users ha ha - ok, so I do have VMWare that I use a lot, so no big really... but still.. maybe an iPad app from Hypex would be a great addition!

5 minutes ago, dood said:

Knowing that the presets are editable is a selling point for me, but it will be a faff as the editor is windows only and I'm a Mac users ha ha - ok, so I do have VMWare that I use a lot, so no big really... but still.. maybe an iPad app from Hypex would be a great addition!

It works fine in Virtualbox for me. Linux Mint 18.3.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/06/2018 at 19:41, dood said:

Might be worth an email to Hypex and to Alex. The Hypex website says that these current amps (PSC2.400d) will be discontinued soon. They don't say what the replacement might be but I think they would put forward the Fusion range. These come with a remote control to adjust volume, DSP presets etc. Maybe Alex already has a replacement one in mind?

My rear panels are not quite as per the design above - I also have a digital AES/EBU input not that I have used it.

I control mine with the Helix and leave the internal volume set at +5db. On the Helix there's a +20db gain per preset available and then 20db gain via global settings.  I use 1/4" out to go to the FR800 for monitoring and link this to the volume knob on the Helix. The XLR out from the Helix goes to FOH and is not affected by the volume knob.  I have control over onstage sound this way without destroying FOH or monitor levels. 

Point to note with the FR800 - it needs a powercon cable.  If you'r running two on top of each other (like Jack) then you can daisy chain them - again with a different cable type -,  but if you're separating them then you need two separate powercon cables and they're not cheap. 

Steve

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

- it needs a powercon cable.  If you'r running two on top of each other (like Jack) then you can daisy chain them - again with a different cable type -,  but if you're separating them then you need two separate powercon cables and they're not cheap. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uk-13-amp-plug-to-Neutrik-powercon-blue-HO7RN-F-cable-with-heat-shrink/142352040022?hash=item2124d7c056%3Am%3AmYpq-76rVSLKlffgVfm4Bzw&var=441380071577

I use these... proper cable too so they coil properly unlike that naff stuff that you usually get with IEC cables.

16 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Yes I have that too, although I like the fact the the amp has a powercon out socket so you can use a link cable to the input of a second cab. 

As far as the attenuator goes,  if you crank the gain to full on the amp (up to +18db) it's quite hissy and attenuating the input signal won't change that I don't think. The guys at Barefaced say that the amp likes a hot input signal to get the most from it. 

13 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Yes I have that too, although I like the fact the the amp has a powercon out socket so you can use a link cable to the input of a second cab. 

As far as the attenuator goes,  if you crank the gain to full on the amp (up to +18db) it's quite hissy and attenuating the input signal won't change that I don't think. The guys at Barefaced say that the amp likes a hot input signal to get the most from it. 

The link is pretty common on PA cabs - very useful being able to daisy chain.

That's a good point - I guess it depends on the noise floor of your cab to how much you can get away with. Just seems a massive oversight on that particular amp - especially considering how cheap it would be to a manual gain knob into the design.

@Muppet @EBS_freak

Thank you for the information re: cables. I'll save the link.

With respect to gain setting and attenuators, I dunno... I'm just feeling a bit like it's a faff, a workaround. So yes, I would be intrigued as to what Barefaced might do in the future regarding the panel amps. Powersoft do DSP panel amplifiers so I expect Hypex would too. I've already sent an email to BF about the lead time on the FR's but as yet have had no reply. I expect they are busy with the new guitar cabinet products.

I did suggest that BF should make an FR1600 - a Big Twin II with an internal amplifier. Alex did explain that it would be an expensive work around to change the internal cabinet structure to fit it.. Still, imagine what damage that kinda beast could do! (Yes, I'll have the DSP and gain control too please!)

Failing that, I still would like to see what the high spec FOH PA cabs have to offer in the absence of the FR's. (Because of the additional connections available) 

I fear I may have made too much of an issue out of this. I too miss a manual volume control but it's not that bad. I set it to +15 for live work (where the hiss is not at all noticeable) and 0db for home use. There's enough gain in the helix, a Behringer Xr18, a Behringer MIC1000 or my Soundcraft Notepad to make up for any changes within the realms of 'loud' and 'quiet' that its not as though I feel the need to sit with a laptop and tweak "nono, this is a small gig, so I need to set the FR800 to +11db rather than +15". If I didn't use one of them at home I would never move then from +15.

Next time, something similar to the QSC back panel please, but the current ones work fine.

Edited by Jack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've not moved from the regular setting of +5db. I have the four bass presets loaded (flat, deep, vintage, fat) and there's more than enough gain in the Helix for gig volumes. 

The newer plate mount amps from Hypex do have a volume control I think. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Jack and @Muppet, that really helps actually and no Jack, I don't think you made 'too much' of an issue. I'm just a fussy pants for the details. I appreciate the responses. There is, of course absolutely no doubt that the FR800 is a monster piece of kit . It may seem like I am picking holes, but that's really not the case. I tend to do that to everything I own, looking for excellence. The fact that you guys have come back and said that it's not a huge problem not having say a gain control in the real world means that I could probably live with it too. Sure, I'd configure the volume control on my Helix to adjust the onstage volume and leave the XLR's level fixed as I do now. 

<interval>

For some bizarre reason, every time I see the letters "FRFR" written down... this song comes into my head.

Which is bizarre, because there's not even any Rs in Foux Du Fa Fa. Anyway...

As you were. 

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Haha 2

Thought I’d revisit my old thread..!

The QSC k10.2 is getting gigged twice this weekend. It’s being fed by my Hotone preamp DI (I know, right?) and I’m loving it as much as day 1.

On the fence? Just get one. Revolutionise your bass experience 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

The QSC k10.2 is getting gigged twice this weekend. It’s being fed by my Hotone preamp DI (I know, right?) and I’m loving it as much as day 1.

Exactly the same experience here, I go Bass > Fishman DI > QSC and still can't believe the low end that little thing puts out. I am wondering if the magic DSP pixies inside need feeding or anything.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

18 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Exactly the same experience here, I go Bass > Fishman DI > QSC and still can't believe the low end that little thing puts out. I am wondering if the magic DSP pixies inside need feeding or anything.

Funnily it was only this afternoon I was looking at the 12.2 verses the Yamaha DXR15 online comparing the two. I rarely get a chance to leave the house to get to 'the stores' to try them out, so I was having a bit of a look at the details between them. Maybe to pick one over the other.