Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Has anybody commented, especially on the originals scene, why are you using a "proper" amp? How did your band take to it?

They love it, since it's far smaller than my previous rigs and takes up less space in the band van. It sounded great at the first rehearsal and the sound has been getting even better with every tweak I make to the various patches. These days I'm playing what could be best described as post-punk/gothic music which is a modern take on 80s influences, so unconventional is the order of the day. TBH (apart from short stint playing covers) The Terrortones are by far the most conventional band I've ever been in and they would have probably been OK with this too.

I got a few worried looks from the bass player of the band that supported us at the last gig, but I plugged him into the Helix and was about to run through some of my patches to find a suitable sound, but he thought the first patch was fantastic and that was that.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JSB said:

Interesting!  Where should the crossover be ideally?

With a 12" main driver, the ideal crossover point is between 1.2 and 1.5kHz, which is where the driver rolls off off-axis. Anything up to 2kHz will be useable, but above that and you get a dip off axis because of the way the bass driver beams at higher frequencies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Get rid of them then, get some in ears and put your money into foh speakers.

t's not going to happen. I'm still trying to get the band to play songs that were written this century. I don't think any of them know what in-ears are.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, JSB said:

I had the opportunity to visit Alain Caron (AC) in his studio while he was transitioning from Roland to MarkBass. 

He explained to me that the Roland D-Bass combos were designed with his feedback and the goal was to develop the most neutral combo possible, with the technology of the time.  They came up with the FFP tech, which is basically a DSP similar to what was found in studio monitors.  In SuperFlat mode, you had as much as a FRFR system as it was possible in those days.  As Roland was moving out of the professional bass amp market, he was approached by MB...

At the time of my visit, Alain was in the process of A/B testing the MarkBass prototype combo with his reference for what he was looking for:  his own studio monitors.  This is what he uses at home.  This is what he wanted to have on stage.   No coincidence the design is similar to a PA system (bi-amped, powerful tweeter, etc.)

With the controls "neutral", this is probably one of the most FRFR combo available, plus you get the MB coloring on demand.  Love this combo!

I had one of them - the Roland D-bass 210 - I'm not quite sure why I moved it on it was very impressive in the 'ultrA flat" mode. 

At the time I had a hellborg pre into a poweramp and a ACME B2 which again was even cleaner sounding. 

Sold them both and ended up with a walkabout which is like the diametric opposite of FRFR - but the MB AC combo is something I would like to try some point

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I had one of them - the Roland D-bass 210 - I'm not quite sure why I moved it on it was very impressive in the 'ultrA flat" mode. 

At the time I had a hellborg pre into a poweramp and a ACME B2 which again was even cleaner sounding. 

Sold them both and ended up with a walkabout which is like the diametric opposite of FRFR - but the MB AC combo is something I would like to try some point

Walkabout is definitely at the other end of the spectrum, totally baked in sound. And what a sound, wow.   

Funny enough, my visit to Alain was to pickup the D-Bass stack (D-Bass 210 + 115 extension) I had purchased...unknowingly from him!   Unfortunately don't have it anymore, splendid stack it was.   Alain being a total gear nerd,  it was very interesting to hear him explain his tone philosophy and walk me through the new upcoming toy.  And this discussion with him is one of the reasons I'm following this thread.  :D

Edited by JSB

17 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I got a few worried looks from the bass player of the band that supported us at the last gig, but I plugged him into the Helix and was about to run through some of my patches to find a suitable sound, but he thought the first patch was fantastic and that was that.

Now wouldn't it be interesting if said supporting bass player ended up going down a similar route...?

1 hour ago, stevie said:

Quite how we've gone from FRFR cabs to Trappist breweries is a mystery to me - but that's the beauty of Basschat!:D

The full range of Gregorian chant was pretty flat, would be my response. Also didn't cost much. So it's relevant.

Edited by Al Krow

At the danger of getting this thread back on track, I see that Yamaha have announced the new DZR range to their powered PA kit. Given that I'm finding my way around my Helix (Yamaha own Line 6) and that our band PA is a full Yammy system too, I can't help thinking that I might like to try out a fully DSP controlled monitor instead of my backline. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dood said:

At the danger of getting this thread back on track, I see that Yamaha have announced the new DZR range to their powered PA kit. Given that I'm finding my way around my Helix (Yamaha own Line 6) and that our band PA is a full Yammy system too, I can't help thinking that I might like to try out a fully DSP controlled monitor instead of my backline. 

Didn't see that news passing by...Got a link by any chances? Thanks!

35 minutes ago, JSB said:

Didn't see that news passing by...Got a link by any chances? Thanks!

I spotted the announcements at Frankfurt Messe via YouTube but the products have been up on the Yamaha website for a while, so unsure of the exact release date.

• Thanks 1