Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

I'm planning on going this route soon (like this month soon), is the QSC K10.2 definitely ok for a working player? I use a 5 string exclusively now.

At the moment I'm using 2x Markbass Club 121 cabs, usually wedged so I can hear them. I'm 6'6" and on a cramped stage I have real issues with traditional cabs which is why a tiny full range wedge monitor appeals to me. I don't need masses of volume, in fact I prefer to not fill the stage with loads of deep bass. Our PA is a pair of RCF 735 cabs with a pair of matching subs (dunno what model, they've got the older ceramic magnet drivers though)  so any purchase I make is strictly for a personal monitor, I like to be as quiet as possible as our stage volume is very low anyway.

I've read the posts above which recommend the RCF cabs but I don't think I need this. The smaller size of the QSC is appealing to me as it means I'll have more positioning options and it also looks like it projects up at a much sharper angle which is a consideration for me as it means I can stand a little closer to my rig.

Is there anywhere in Lancs I can compare these? I know they're a bit apples and oranges but if the QSC is loud and deep enough for me I'll get that.

@lemmywinks Musicmatter in Preston stock the Yamahas but not the QSCs or RCFs. May still prove to be useful demoing a Yammy DXR though. If this thread is anything to go by, the QSCs sound better than the Yamahas so if you like the Yamaha then that may be enough to convince you to take the plunge on a QSC K10.2 without having to try it first?

My HD32A sounds great all the way down low on my 5ers and with my (many) octave pedals. To be fair, it’s in a higher league model-wise than almost anything else around, plus it’s a 12” not a 10”. Still, I’d imagine the QSC K10.2 would sound quite decent with a 5er. Not necessarily to carry a room but certainly as a personal monitor. 

Edited by CameronJ

2 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Yeah I was thinking that if the QSC isn't enough for me and I need something bigger I might as well go all in, at the moment having something as small as the QSC is very appealing as I would have more placement options on stage.

I hear you re: placement. To be honest, even if the physical dimensions are no smaller than your usual amp/cab the tiltback option alone makes it more practical on a stage. Plus, unlike a traditional bass amp, it won’t look weird behind or in front of you. Options, options.

At the moment I use Markbass Club series cabs in their wedge position, sometimes with one kicked back on top of the other and whenever possible both next to each other.. They're more a cube design with one edge cut out and can be quite bulky though which is why I'm moving to a full range monitor. 

3 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

F**k Rock, F**k Roll :P

This.

2 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

At the moment I use Markbass Club series cabs in their wedge position, sometimes with one kicked back on top of the other and whenever possible both next to each other.. They're more a cube design with one edge cut out and can be quite bulky though which is why I'm moving to a full range monitor. 

So I suspect you’ll lose some “heft” going from two stacked cabs to a single 10” monitor, but you’ll certainly gain a ton of convenience as far as size, weight and general ease of setup. If you tend to DI anyway then you have nothing to lose.

I rarely get the LMII above 2 on the volume knob, some gigs it's been under 1. There's only me and the drummer who don't use in-ears so it's a very quiet stage, I always DI - no point lugging all that PA gear if you're not gonna use it! I expect one decent 10" wedge would be all I need, want and need are different things when it comes to buying gear though.

14 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I rarely get the LMII above 2 on the volume knob, some gigs it's been under 1. There's only me and the drummer who don't use in-ears so it's a very quiet stage, I always DI - no point lugging all that PA gear if you're not gonna use it! I expect one decent 10" wedge would be all I need, want and need are different things when it comes to buying gear though.

No volume wars on stage - Sounds to me like a K10.2 will hardly break a sweat with plenty of headroom to spare.

I'm considering either the QSC K12.2 or the RCF HD32-A. The QSC has presets enabling eq to be varied and a Hi-Z/line level input so a bass can be plugged in without a preamp. It also has a 3.5mm TRS for phone/mp3 etc. The RCF has a mic/line switch.

I'm using a Le Bass preamp/di at the moment but wondering if my basses with built in preamps (MM & J East) would work straight into either of these units. Are they able to drive both the RCF and QSC without an external pre? If that would work maybe I could ditch the pre and use a high quality DI such as a passive JDI after my other pedals with the parallel out to the frfr...or nothing at all if the fancy takes me.

I assume a passive bass would not work direct into the RCF?

I realise I may have confused some basic impedance or level issues here!