Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

4 minutes ago, JSB said:

Never heard the BF Compact, but did hear that amp through a Berg 12"...  I can relate to your This is impressive.

Have you got a chance of trying out the 8.2 and 12.2^  What lead you to pick the 10.2 over the others? 

I know this might appear like a strange question to ask but, how does it perform at VERY low volume?

Barefaced Compact - bit of a stalwart round these parts.

I chose the 10's as a compromise between output and size/weight

It's fine at low volumes - obviously you lose a bit of bottom, but it does a good job.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

@JSB what context are you thinking of using one of these in?

Looking for the elusive do it all compact rig for bass (of course), guitar (sorry) and keys for home practice to small gigs when no FOH available.

1 minute ago, JSB said:

Looking for the elusive do it all compact rig for bass (of course), guitar (sorry) and keys for home practice to small gigs when no FOH available.

It is great for keys (see above) same for guitar - in some ways a Helix would be the perfect front end for you to do guitar and bass. 

1 hour ago, JSB said:

In that case, getting yourself one of these monitors is the perfect move. I’ve just discovered this myself and now I can’t imagine having a better rig. My usage scenarios are identical to yours. A quality FRFR speaker is a jack of all trades and master of all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

It is great for keys (see above) same for guitar - in some ways a Helix would be the perfect front end for you to do guitar and bass. 

Helix looks like a killer unit! 

Thing is, I play "clean"...  I have a Katana and use only the reverb for the guitar. For bass, had (now sold) Mesa D800+Subway 1x12.  That's it.

Cannot justify forking out 2.3kCAD$ for the Helix (well, I'm sure I could but don't really want to) but I understand that I'll need something in front of the QSC for guitar.  And maybe bass as well, depending on what their "bass setting" does.

First thing first, need to find a place locally where I can try it those out!

13 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

In that case, getting yourself one of these monitors is the perfect move. I’ve just discovered this myself and now I can’t imagine having a better rig. My usage scenarios are identical to yours. A quality FRFR speaker is a jack of all trades and master of all.

For a clean sound, what do you put in front of your FRFR speaker?

36 minutes ago, JSB said:

For a clean sound, what do you put in front of your FRFR speaker?

I’ve got a ton of pedals but for my “clean” I disengage everything and just go dry bass > hi-Z input on mixer set flat > speaker. My basses sound phenomenal straight in with no tone shaping other than their own onboard EQ controls.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Musashimonkey said:

I’m eying up a Mesa Subway Di for my K12.2...

The bass amp modeller is good, but I miss the tone from my D800. 

Hold on, you moved from D800 to K12.2?  What was your cab?  Did you try the Mesa DI yet?

Please tell me more, very interested in hearing your experience as we started from a similar place you are already on arrival...

I had a nice pair of Vanderklay 1x12 MNT's with it, but also tried, 2x10 and 1x15 combo, and a 2x12 Eminence custom cab with the D800. Loved the D800, but the whole rig was a fair bit of money to carry around, then joined a band where I needed a monitor and didn't have one. So I decided to go down this route. Happy so far, early days, but I miss the tone from the Mesa D800. With the two DI's out from the Subway DI, I figure I can feed one into the QSC and one into the desk, and then mix my own mix on the back of the FRFR. So... Bass into pedal board, Mesa DI, FRFR, earplugs, and I'm done. It's certainly plenty loud enough, that's for sure. I haven't tried the Mesa DI yet, I'll probably order one this week...

• Like 1