Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

1 minute ago, EBS_freak said:

Thats fair enough - in your situation, that makes sense to what you are personally carrying and what you are prepared to spend. Of course, the sound out front and volume on stage arguments from the rest of this thread still apply.

What you need to be doing now, is working on the singer to buy the 735s, so you can turn up with a pair of inear monitors and a bass. ;)

Lol! If you only knew...

42 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Pretty close. 4 lead singers in the two bands. 4 mics, 3 leads and 2 mic stands between them, I believe :)

4 mics is impressive!

I think I own all the singers mics that I work with!

Funny, if I was a singer, as a minimum, I would have a wireless, my favourite mic, a SM58 (so all sound engineers know the mic) and a stupid bling mic for those sort of gigs.

And yet, here we are talking about singers who don't even own a mic. It's 100 quid for a decent mic. £100. Pfft.

From his own viewpoint ebs maybe makes sense. What I am trying to get across that technically perfect sounds, utilizing computer tech and in ear crap is not what everyone wants and frankly is killing rock&roll.

Rock is created in a dark damp sh*thole through loud drums and amp racks while drinking too much beer, but you won't understand. Rock&roll is dead apparently.

4 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

From his own viewpoint ebs maybe makes sense. What I am trying to get across that technically perfect sounds, utilizing computer tech and in ear crap is not what everyone wants and frankly is killing rock&roll.

Rock is created in a dark damp sh*thole through loud drums and amp racks while drinking too much beer, but you won't understand. Rock&roll is dead apparently.

Ah, phew. I'm fine then. 

I can happily take my fake computertech crap out to gigs cos we play "Americana" not rock n roll.

49 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

Most of the Rock bands and Metal bands wear in ears, I don't think we can blame ebs for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiMarco said:

You have to explain, rationally, how better quality sound, both for the musicians playing and the audience listening, is “killing rock & roll”. 

This makes no sense to me whatsoever. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Lock up your amps people, I've taken rock and roll... the backroom folk clubs are next.

Ha ha ha ha. I'll get you all in the end.

Out of interest.... what modelling amp/pedal/preamps would you recommend? Both the mega buck end right down to cheapies.... 

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

Out of interest.... what modelling amp/pedal/preamps would you recommend? Both the mega buck end right down to cheapies.... 

That's all personal preference. There's nothing wrong with plugging your bass straight into the desk. There's nothing wrong with using amp and cab simulator on a digital desk if it has one. Maybe you want a preamp straight into the desk. Maybe you want a preamp into a cab simulator into the desk.

I like the Kemper because it covers off my bass and guitar needs and has a plentiful supply of fx. Im really happy with it. I know the Helix well too... I would be really happy with that too. These both give you the full blown rig simulation. I actually really enjoy going through the PA without any cab simulation. I personally would like to craft in the sound of the cab via EQ rather than use the emulation. On guitar however... cab simulation for sure.

On the Kemper, I use a Focusrite pre into a SSL desk profile. I love it. I tend to use a Chandler LTD1 preamp profile. That's amazing also. Of course, I then have all the inbuilt fx at my disposal via the remote. Yes, the Kemper is expensive... but if you were to ditch your whole setup (including pedal board) for a Kemper,  you may find it more competitively priced. If the Kemper is still too much, the Helix... and especially the Helix LT will still get you awesome results.  

I had used an EBS microbass 2 straight into the desk before the Kemper. That was great. I had used my HD350 into the desk before hand - without using the power amp in it. I liked it... but the Kemper could do the same and more.

The Sansamp Q strip really appeals to me... it's tone shaping is similar to that found on traditional analogue desks... but having said that, all that and more is available directly by plugging into most mixers.

The key thing is, you can get "your tone" via the direct route... there's plenty of EQ in pedals, modellers and the desk to get you there. If theres must have pedals in your chain, simple... just leave them in as you would do going to an amp. Going analogue but still want a speaker sim - easy, there's plenty out there... but most of them are a take on EQ anyway. If you want to look at the more boutique speaker emulators out there, guys like Two Notes Engineering is probably where you should be looking at. http://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-cab - their stuff is pretty cool stuff.. and easy to deploy in a pedal board like manner.

The thing is, we are pretty spoiled now. A few minutes on Google will show you whats out there... there's certainly lots to choose from.

• Like 1

Funnily enough, I had a look through the rosters for the 3 big players for in ears...

http://pro.ultimateears.com/whos-using

http://www.64audio.com/artists

https://www.jhaudio.com/artist_roster

Just look at all those rock acts that have been killed by using inears. Jerry and Vitaliy should be disgusted with themselves. They've almost single handedly killed rock n roll... and thats not even taking into account the impact that I've had! I'm sure the day that Jerry Harvey handed Van Halen the first of his inears for them to use, the bowels of hell rumbled in despair.

7 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Funnily enough, I had a look through the rosters for the 3 big players for in ears...

http://pro.ultimateears.com/whos-using

http://www.64audio.com/artists

https://www.jhaudio.com/artist_roster

Just look at all those rock acts that have been killed by using inears. Jerry and Vitaliy should be disgusted with themselves. They've almost single handedly killed rock n roll... and thats not even taking into account the impact that I've had! I'm sure the day that Jerry Harvey handed Van Halen the first of his inears for them to use, the bowels of hell rumbled in despair.

cheers for the first reply, and you could' help yourself with the second could you?!

:)

I saw Metallica at the O2 in October. There were no amps or anything on stage just Lars' drums, 4 men and about 8 vocal microphones. Not once did any of us miss seeing or indeed hearing amps on stage, we were too busy headbanging and watching the drones.

In fact, I think it was the highest capacity crowd at the O2 ever. As they were in the round they could fit more people in the standing area than is usual at that venue.

Killing rock n roll. :dash1:

44 minutes ago, Jack said:

I saw Metallica at the O2 in October. There were no amps or anything on stage just Lars' drums, 4 men and about 8 vocal microphones. Not once did any of us miss seeing or indeed hearing amps on stage, we were too busy headbanging and watching the drones.

In fact, I think it was the highest capacity crowd at the O2 ever. As they were in the round they could fit more people in the standing area than is usual at that venue.

Killing rock n roll. :dash1:

Metallica are on AxeFx2 I believe. Oh... and in ears... although to be completely transparent with the regard to the discussion happening here... they do have Meyer wedges pointing back at them... The key thing is, the wedges are pointing backwards... and not into the mics, so no bleed. Oh -- and they tend to be on large stages too.

Edited by EBS_freak

A back up in such high profile gigs are always a good idea... after all, IEM units can run out of batteries, or get signal loss if the RF environment is particularly hostile (or if somebody in the audience sabotages them with rogue RF transmission!). Of course, in most situations, the licenses are granted based on that fact that that area of the radio spectrum is free enough to deploy the amount of wireless required - this greatly minimises the risk of drop out due to RFI. Should probably mention that Metallica are probably using dual diversity IEMs - meaning there is less likely to be dropouts. I'm not sure what wireless they are using.. I'm guessing something like a Shure PSM1000 or Sennheiser 2000... I shall see if I can find out.

EDIT: Looks like the Senn 2000 was utilised a while back - but dont know if thats still current. I would imagine they would try and keep on the same brand so the engineers can distribute the frequencies remotely over the network...  I say this cos it looks like they are utilising Shure as their receivers in the racks.

Should probably mention, those Meyer monitors are serious pieces of kit. One of those Meyer monitors would probably buy you two large boutique bass rigs. I seem to recall that Metallica actually developed these wedges directly with Meyer - I think that are 2x10s... which is quite an odd setup for a wedge.. but don't quote me on that one!

Edited by EBS_freak

15 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

The loudest band I've seen (after metallica in '93) was velvet revolver,  jeez my internal organs haven't been right since, they were all wearing in ears.

Somewhat bizarrely, the loudest two gigs I’ve ever been to were soul / funk. 

Bobby Womack once played a ‘radio special’ in a tiny club and, for some inexplicable reason, his sound crew decided to use the same rig he’d had the night before at the Forum in Kentish Town. I was deafened and my ears rang for weeks - in fact I think it was the start of my long term tinnitus issue. 

The absolute loudest ever was Incognito at the small O2 venue in Greenwich. I literally had to put my hands over my ears because the higher frequencies hurt so much. 

All around me people were wincing and covering their ears. I had to move right back and to one side of the hall to get anything like a decent volume :(