Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

2 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

They are but then they pose in front of the stacks in magazines or online adverts to sell the old school stuff to the dinosaurs :facepalm:

Just another gig down the Tickled Trout...

dinosaurjr_slide-a3c7aa8c5ca11adf992b416

3830317391_1432de4750_o.jpg

Edited by EBS_freak

6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Absolutely ridiculous. And to be honest, if s/he wanted the "valve sound", a smaller wattage amp being driven hard would yield a better sound at a hell of a lesser volume.

That's the point... when you have got guys in the band turning up with big amps doing that, you are fighting a losing battle.

Aren't all the big metallers on the Kemper and Axe FX train now anyway? Got to be easier carrying your rigs on a USB stick and hiring the hardware for your world tours...

A lot are definitely going that way, I'm going helix just because the Axe customer support in the country is absolutely shocking and you can't find one to trial anywhere (axe is also significantly pricier in this country)

1 hour ago, charic said:

One recent guitarist of mine insisted on 2 x 100w all valve rigs, one peavey and one marshall...

You couldn't hear the damn drums over it

Our lead guitarist now has a lovely amp with a 5w setting. It sounds fabulous cranked up but he’s still sometimes struggling with it being too loud ?

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Guys you're clearly one step ahead of me when it comes to high end multi-fxs. I'm still one of those luddites who enjoys having analogue pedals! :)

Me too, which is why I eventually sold the Kemper, gave the Helix back to its rightful owner and built another board. It still goes to FOH though and not an amp.

15 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Loud I'd imagine! 

Twice I've seen Mascis play in smallish clubs, 20 odd years apart.  Took me 20 years to build up the courage to go again, and I thought he'd have learned to play at decent volumes...I was wrong.

21 hours ago, Jack said:

Me too, which is why I eventually sold the Kemper, gave the Helix back to its rightful owner and built another board. It still goes to FOH though and not an amp.

Any cab emulation... or not? I actually like bass through PAs without! Give it all the tone shaping I need at the desk.

8 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Any cab emulation... or not? I actually like bass through PAs without! Give it all the tone shaping I need at the desk.

Same here. All of my 'best bass tones' as commented on by engineers have never had cabinet or amp sims on, even when I am using drive effects. So yes, my last pedal board pre-helix (everything mounted on a bit of Ikea shelf, yeah I rock ha ha) had a mini DI on it and I split the signal direct to XLR for the PA and should I have had an amp on stage the 1/4" went straight to that. I took the direct signal from the PA and ran it back with my own mix to IEMs. I like the 'immediacy' I suppose of being plugged in direct. If that makes sense? Also meant that the EQ and compression on the desk sorted out the FOH tone, saved, set and pretty much forget.

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Sometimes. The main board has a GK Plec which has an amp sim but no cab sim as of yet. Bob Gallien promises that one is coming though. The other board uses a MS60b to model amps and cabs, usually a B15 in that band so that has a cab sim.

2 hours ago, dood said:

Same here. All of my 'best bass tones' as commented on by engineers have never had cabinet or amp sims on, even when I am using drive effects. So yes, my last pedal board pre-helix (everything mounted on a bit of Ikea shelf, yeah I rock ha ha) had a mini DI on it and I split the signal direct to XLR for the PA and should I have had an amp on stage the 1/4" went straight to that. I took the direct signal from the PA and ran it back with my own mix to IEMs. I like the 'immediacy' I suppose of being plugged in direct. If that makes sense? Also meant that the EQ and compression on the desk sorted out the FOH tone, saved, set and pretty much forget.

Same here, Stingray-desk. 

Much nonsense going on in this thread.

Modelling I really have tried... It would be so awesome to simply plug in and sound... well awesome. But it did not. It came close but not close enough. Nor do in-ears. Bass through headphones just sucks anyway and will never work for me.

Anyone wanna buy my Eleven rack just yell (already sold the line6 stuff). It hasn't been switched on in over a year.

I use valve amps. It sounds better. Period. If you think not, you probbly haven't ever played through a good full valve stack. 

I use a lightweight 2x12 cab which is loud enough next to a hard hitting drummer in most rooms we play. My amp weighs more then my cab does. Our guitarist is currently using my 100w Engl combo+112 cab which weighs even more. I bring my atm250 mic when bass will be reinforced and want both d.i. and mic signal being used. Otherwise my fuzz and dist will slice skulls in the audience.

Why?

Oldskool rock is not played through computers. That would ruin the whole vibe. The whole point in playing rock is being loud as f**k. It makes the brain a happy place.

Bass is heard through the scrotum as much as it is through the ears. Fact.

Narrowing our stacks down to 2x12 (which really is enough) is as far as narrowing down will go, otherwise the pants wont tremble.

Dinosaur? You don't know sh**.

• Like 1

The thing is sound is just waves, sooner or later (or we're already there) there will come a point where telling the difference between amp and speakers -> mic -> pa vs emulation -> pa is going to be negligible or non-existent.

In the crowd you don't hear what the band are playing through anyway so the trouser flapping disappears and becomes redundant to all but the player and how that is resolved is up to the player.  On a big stage they'll never stand close enough to their rig to hear it, let alone feel it

6 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

Much nonsense going on in this thread.

Modelling I really have tried... It would be so awesome to simply plug in and sound... well awesome. But it did not. It came close but not close enough. Nor do in-ears. Bass through headphones just sucks anyway and will never work for me.

Anyone wanna buy my Eleven rack just yell (already sold the line6 stuff). It hasn't been switched on in over a year.

I use valve amps. It sounds better. Period. If you think not, you probbly haven't ever played through a good full valve stack. 

I use a lightweight 2x12 cab which is loud enough next to a hard hitting drummer in most rooms we play. My amp weighs more then my cab does. Our guitarist is currently using my 100w Engl combo+112 cab which weighs even more. I bring my atm250 mic when bass will be reinforced and want both d.i. and mic signal being used. Otherwise my fuzz and dist will slice skulls in the audience.

Why?

Oldskool rock is not played through computers. That would ruin the whole vibe. The whole point in playing rock is being loud as f**k. It makes the brain a happy place.

Bass is heard through the scrotum as much as it is through the ears. Fact.

Narrowing our stacks down to 2x12 (which really is enough) is as far as narrowing down will go, otherwise the pants wont tremble.

Dinosaur? You don't know sh**.

xD