Why become a member? ×

Interesting FRFR story..

Bridgehouse

19 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

You could display a 31 band EQ on a tablet next to your drink with  a real time analysis graph jumping around during your gig of you want, how much more adaptability could you want? 

Y'know, that could be just about my worst nightmare. xD

• Like 1

Guys you're clearly one step ahead of me when it comes to high end multi-fxs. I'm still one of those luddites who enjoys having analogue pedals! :)

But please note I'm not talking about real time visual feedback on a tablet next to my drink (yet more cost and gear!) but real time aural feedback. What you're hearing 'on the fly' will only be as good as the monitor you're using. That sounds like a third 735A will be needed for that? In which case, my point on cost / weight / quality remains true. Believe me, I'm very open to change and trying new and better alternatives but I'm not sensing you've yet made the case for a rush to the door on dedicated back line for all us BCers, just yet.

I also think that @Happy Jack made some really good points which, in the part of the bass world that doesn't just inhabit the function space, will still chime for many.

Edited by Al Krow

The thing is because the stage volume is much reduced you'll hear some of the foh anyway so a third RCF isn't needed, I played my upright for a few songs at a wedding gig with the bass fed through the singers small powered wedge, it sounded fine with the bottom end coming from around the room and the detail from the wedge, I'll be doing it that way in future as it was a quick change over, unmute the double bass on the tablet and away!

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Guys you're clearly one step ahead of me when it comes to high end multi-fxs. I'm still one of those luddites who enjoys having analogue pedals! :)

But please note I'm not talking about real time visual feedback on a tablet next to my drink (yet more cost and gear!) but real time aural feedback. What you're hearing 'on the fly' will only be as good as the monitor you're using. That sounds like a third 735A will be needed for that? In which case, my point on cost / weight / quality remains true. Believe me, I'm very open to change and trying new and better alternatives but I'm not sensing you've yet made the case for a rush to the door on dedicated back line for all us BCers, just yet.

I also think that @Happy Jack made some really good points which, in the part of the bass world that doesn't just inhabit the function space, will still chime for many.

Al - you are quite right, there is a whole barrage of viewpoints going on here.

1 I think in short, I am saying that a decent PA that can handle the whole band is the way to go.

2 You will need monitoring - my preference is inears... but you will need something to use as a monitor. For IEMs this could be as little as £100 (and certainly wins on weight and portability). You could buy a wedge... this can go from 100s to 1000s. Pete actually uses a small Genz combo that he already had prior to buying his PA. With less noise coming from the stage and the FOH providing all your volume, the onstage monitoring needs are greatly reduced... unless your drummer is a clown and still insists on banging seven shades outta of it as opposed to making use of the mics on his/her kit...

3 When you are playing with another band who still have a "dino" :P setup, you could use  the PA tops as your backline instead of a traditional rig.

I think that's the general underlying message...?

Edited by EBS_freak

20 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Y'know, that could be just about my worst nightmare. xD

But you can go the other way, one of those trace Elf boxes into the p.a. giving you the same stage sound and volume at every gig. Volume bass middle and treble for you to play with, myriad of stuff for the person doing the desk. 

Cor I don't know how you all got here.

My original post was about buying a specific FRFR after most reviews pointed to the Yamaha.

However, to be clear, I have a full rig, I have this one (lightweight FRFR) and I have Helix/Preamp DI options.

I am in an originals band. We play pubs, clubs, venues, festivals large and small, all sorts of things. Even a town hall this year. 

It is pretty much always through a house PA. For me, the choice is to enable me to pick the gear for the venue. Sometimes traditional backline, sometimes a DI with monitoring. Horses for courses. For me in this band there isn't one solution.

• Like 1

Dont forget modern frfr pa cabs are physically so much better designed. For example the dxr12s are only just wider than 12" which is unbelievable compared to what was available 10-20 years ago. I remember when every speaker had a huge expanse of space between its speaker and edges.

1 minute ago, la bam said:

Dont forget modern frfr pa cabs are physically so much better designed. For example the dxr12s are only just wider than 12" which is unbelievable compared to what was available 10-20 years ago. I remember when every speaker had a huge expanse of space between its speaker and edges.

Thats the point - modern advances has meant we now have more options.

Guitar amp wise, things are pretty much the same as they were back in the 60s. Yes, speaker tech has come on loads... but it seems that guitarists still want something akin to what was available back in the 60s to what the modern speaker can give them. That's cool... that's the tone they are going for. However, the modern modellers can give you that through the modern speakers.

At the end of the day - and I must stress this - there's no wrong or right... backline vs PA power are both valid... and as can be seen from this thread, theres a lot of opinion on both methods. I would argue both are comparably priced - it's just about figuring out what gives the best sound and works best for your own circumstance.

1 minute ago, charic said:

Im in agreement with you - those  completely inappropriate cabs are usually the domain of the pub guitarists found round my way (Birmingham). Either that or something Mesa Rectumfryer/Fender Twin related. I think the most inappropriate rig that I've ever seen was a dual 4x12 Orange stack. Stupid.

Lets face it, an AC30 is ridiculously loud and completely inappropriate for most gigs... its only nostalgia (like for most iconic amps) that keep those things selling.

4 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Im in agreement with you - those  completely inappropriate cabs are usually the domain of the pub guitarists found round my way (Birmingham). Either that or something Mesa Rectumfryer/Fender Twin related. I think the most inappropriate rig that I've ever seen was a dual 4x12 Orange stack. Stupid.

Lets face it, an AC30 is ridiculously loud and completely inappropriate for most gigs... its only nostalgia (like for most iconic amps) that keep those things selling.

One recent guitarist of mine insisted on 2 x 100w all valve rigs, one peavey and one marshall...

You couldn't hear the damn drums over it

5 minutes ago, charic said:

One recent guitarist of mine insisted on 2 x 100w all valve rigs, one peavey and one marshall...

You couldn't hear the damn drums over it

Absolutely ridiculous. And to be honest, if s/he wanted the "valve sound", a smaller wattage amp being driven hard would yield a better sound at a hell of a lesser volume.

That's the point... when you have got guys in the band turning up with big amps doing that, you are fighting a losing battle.

Aren't all the big metallers on the Kemper and Axe FX train now anyway? Got to be easier carrying your rigs on a USB stick and hiring the hardware for your world tours...

Just now, EBS_freak said:

Aren't all the big metallers on the Kemper and Axe FX train now anyway? Got to be easier carrying your rigs on a USB stick and hiring the hardware for your world tours...

They are but then they pose in front of the stacks in magazines or online adverts to sell the old school stuff to the dinosaurs :facepalm: