Why become a member? ×

I think I'm coming down with something...

FinnDave

I must be getting ill. I was in Oxford today with my wife and she asked if I wanted to drop in at the music shop (our rather splendid newly located PMT on the Cowley Road) and I said...no....I can't think of anything I need....even worse, I couldn't even think of anything I wanted, either!

I'm sure there must be a cure for something as serious as this, but what is it?

• Haha 1

IMPOSTER!!! 

There is no such thing as a BC member without GAS, and if there was somebody who was temporarily content with their set up they certainly wouldn't miss an opportunity to shop if/when their partner offered them the chance. Also no self respecting BC member would admit to having "No GAS" even if such a condition existed (which it doesn't BTW).

Continue with your lies and accept the consequences!! :angry2::angry2:

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, SH73 said:

It's either 

Basstroenteritis or basstrophopia you suffer from. You should visit Dr. Classified to cure the symptomps.

?

Well, it can't hurt to try, but the last few prescriptions from Dr. Classified seem to have caused the symptoms!

You already have some of the best basses, amps and cabs. . . . . I reckon you have reached the stage of having enough. That's a good place to be.

Now you only need to focus on the important stuff, what your are playing, where and with whom; the set, the gigs and the bands.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, chris_b said:

You already have some of the best basses, amps and cabs. . . . . I reckon you have reached the stage of having enough. That's a good place to be.

Now you only need to focus on the important stuff, what your are playing, where and with whom; the set, the gigs and the bands.

That could be the correct diagnosis, thinking about it....maybe I'm just stagnating with the band I'm in the and the others I'm peripherally involved with...good call!

I've reached the point with gear where I have no more room for shiny new bits of kit, so anything coming in has to be matched by something going...and there is nothing I can part with (at the moment...)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burrito said:

I managed that for 5 years. It's certainly harder when on forums. I'm not as bad as I used to be but definitely getting the bug 2 or 3 times a year now.

I've run one amp for probably 95% of the time I've been playing, but the old swing-o-meter for basses has gone from 1 to a perhaps a dozen or more at any given time over the years.

Thing is, I find that gear in shops distinctly underwhelming. Doesn't matter where either, the small/large standalones (GAK/Andertons), the chains (GuitarGuitar, and obviously the bit US ones, Guitar Center/Sam Ash), it's all a bit meh.  It was like shopping for clothes at Gap.  I just took a look at the Bass Gallery in stocks.  There wasn't one thing that I'd buy (but the Normandy Archtop looked quite nice...).

The big brands tend to bore me stupid now, hence I'm going with someone who can make what I want that doesn't resemble a coffee table. 

Anti-gas is good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

This year I reduced my stuff to 2 basses, 2 amps and 2 cabs. 

And in all honesty, that's all I need as well. I have cleared out several amps and combos this year and now have just 2 amps and 2 cabs, but which of my basses could I let go of without serious regret? I've bought and sold quite a few since coming back to the UK 5 years ago, yet I still tend to pick up my old faithful white Precision, bought soon after moving back, for gigs. If I had to choose one to save from a fire, it would be that one....but I would definitely miss the others, especially the other P basses!

12 minutes ago, chris_b said:

This year I reduced my stuff to 2 basses, 2 amps and 2 cabs. 

And I'm still playing the best sounding gear I've owned in a long line of great sounding gear.

I think this is the gold standard. I was on two basses and just one decent amp / cab for a few years. What changed was I just acknowledged that I like buying nice basses so the number has crept back up over the last 18 months. It's all good stuff though. I would agree my six basses, although different, are excessive but I like having them and I am playing more than ever before. 

9 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

. . . .  but which of my basses could I let go of without serious regret?

My criteria was to keep the gear I use the most and sell the gear that I use the least. So in effect I'd already made the decision.

I sold 2 fantastic sounding and playing basses because they had been superseded by 2 others and weren't being played. I sold my Wal for the same reason. I loved that bass but hadn't played it in over 2 years. I don't play stuff just because I own it. Even at home I just play the best bass and I came to the realisation that there's no point in me owning a great instrument if it never comes out of the case.

IMO and IME

I think there might be something in the air. Yesterday I had 30 minutes to kill in Long Eaton before catching a bus. It's not a town I know very well at all and I was surprised to see what looked like a reasonably big music shop. However, I felt no urge to check it out. The quirky micro pub practically next door to it got my undivided attention. ??

15 hours ago, Cato said:

Have you explored modding gas?

I'm getting quite excited about a project I'm planning to soup up a jazz next year.

Preamps, pickups, knobs, bridges, tuners it's a whole new sphere of items to lust after.

There's always Building GAS - just gearing up for my second valve amp build.