Why become a member? ×

Sound Help

PURPOLARIS

The B,E & A strings are perfect on my Ibanez SR1305 but the D&G strings are not being picked up for some reason. The D string can be heard but it's softer and echo's. I've just fitted a John East Uni Pre to it and that's not solved the problem (I didn't buy the East for that purpose, it was always my intention to fit it to this bass) 

I'm just about to try different strings to see if that's the problem but if it isn't does anyone know what else it could be? 

Thanks in advance. 

It's an Ibanez SR1305, jazz style but with soapbars. Bass worked fine then just suddenly stopped. I'll just go through the process of elimination and try and rectify it. The only downside is that I don't have any spare pickups to swap out. It sounds like the D&G strings are phasing in and out . I tried putting a different string on the G but no change. The B,E and A strings sound as normal. 

Turned out to be the pickups, mainly the bridge one. I took them out and pointed them round the other way. so what was previously picking up the D&G was now picking up the B&E The B&E strings were then hardly audible but the others were fine. Strange how both pickups went but maybe the one magnet going affected the other one. Anyway new pickup day tomorrow (if they arrive), Bartolini's here we come :D

Edited by PURPOLARIS

For future reference when checking if a pickup is defective (though hopefully you'll never need this) - if you've got an electric razor you can hold this near to a pickup (including those without visible pole pieces) and with the razor running, if the pickup is working then you'll hear it. An old fashioned tuning fork is supposed to do the same.