Why become a member? ×

Black Friday Deals

LeftyBiskit

This little gem just popped up on my spaceface feed,

A nice little practice tool for the price ,available from Gear4music,

So I've taken the plunge,be rude not to at the price

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/DigiTech-TRIO-Band-Creator-Pedal/16IO

DigiTech TRIO Band Creator Pedal
20+ In Stock
Get it by 19th November 2017

I just ordered one as well. Crazy not to at that price. I know it's designed for guitarists to add drums and bass but I'm wondering if it can be used just as a drum machine to play along to bass. I play guitar anyway so it will get used but I'm learning bass at the moment and it would be good if I could use it as a drum machine for practising bass.

9 hours ago, XoSo said:

I just ordered one as well. Crazy not to at that price. I know it's designed for guitarists to add drums and bass but I'm wondering if it can be used just as a drum machine to play along to bass. I play guitar anyway so it will get used but I'm learning bass at the moment and it would be good if I could use it as a drum machine for practising bass.

Yes,that's exactly the reason I bought it ,purely for the drum machine.

If I can get more out of it then it's a bonus.

11 minutes ago, LeftyBiskit said:

Yes,that's exactly the reason I bought it ,purely for the drum machine.

If I can get more out of it then it's a bonus.

Do you know what rhythm flexibility it has on drums e.g. 5/4, 6/8 time etc? It seems to make reference to 4/4 and 3/4 on the 'style' dial

That and the 500mA draw are the only two things making me hesitate in getting this, otherwise it does look like a useful bit of kit and good value at that price.

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Great thread. Btw PMT Online have offered to match any black Friday deals, so if Gear4Music or anyone else run out of stock...

Be great to hear what other deals are out there, so please keep them coming if you spot any (and haven't bought the only item!) :)

Their offer only applies to items in stock though... and G4M out of stock of those Trios! I would've fancied messing around with one for £40!

4 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Their offer only applies to items in stock though... and G4M out of stock of those Trios! I would've fancied messing around with one for £40!

Lol! Well there may be a few coming up for sale soon, then, for you to try out! In the meantime I'd best get back to my old Alesis SR18...

On 20/11/2017 at 12:51, Al Krow said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42050642

I thought this might be interesting given this thread...

I noticed that in one of their previous posts - the iphone recording stand thing, reduced to £15, turns out most other people have reduced it to that sort of price too.

4 hours ago, MartinB said:

If you missed the Digitech Trio, Gear4Music now has them back in stock @ £49.99
(they're also reduced at PMT and Andertons, but not by as much)

Hey thanks for sharing that. I'm kinda intrigued that this bit of kit is the focus of several stores looking to move on at a bargain basement price (and able to source additional supply from the maker). Makes me wonder why, but maybe I'm just an old cynic?

Here's a link to a really useful article explaining the Trio which I recommend folk have a quick read through if they are thinking of getting this. 

The fact that the drum rhythms are 'random' i.e. you're not guaranteed to get the same one each time and on this 'basic' model there is no record / looper function would seem to make it less attractive to me and  I've not got my head round is whether the Trio is geared to bass players at all or is only designed to provide accompanying drum (and bass) rhythms for guitarists once it's heard the rhythm guitar?

Be great to get some feedback from our 'early adopters' @LeftyBiskit and @XoSo  when they get theirs delivered and an indication of how useful they are finding their Trios?

Edited by Al Krow

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Hey thanks for sharing that. I'm kinda intrigued that this bit of kit is the focus of several stores looking to move on at a bargain basement price (and able to source additional supply from the maker). Makes me wonder why, but maybe I'm just an old cynic?

Here's a link to a really useful article explaining the Trio which I recommend folk have a quick read through if they are thinking of getting this. 

The fact that the drum rhythms are 'random' i.e. you're not guaranteed to get the same one each time and on this 'basic' model there is no record / looper function would seem to make it less attractive to me and  I've not got my head round is whether the Trio is geared to bass players at all or is only designed to provide accompanying drum (and bass) rhythms for guitarists once it's heard the rhythm guitar?

Be great to get some feedback from our 'early adopters' @LeftyBiskit and @XoSo  when they get theirs delivered and an indication of how useful they are finding their Trios?

I'm Still waiting on delivery -when it lands I'll try and get a review up on it 

Ok. Well I got mine the other day but so far have only been able to give it the briefest five minutes check over. Bear in mind that I'm learning the bass at the moment so don't really have a wealth of experience to fall on. What I would say is that almost certainly this is designed for guitarists, not bassists. Yes it will work with a bass - it doesn't need to hear chords in learn mode to work out a rhythm, it will respond to a bass line and then you can turn the bass down completely to just hear the drums but as a drum machine alone it's not that brilliant. They are not that convincing  and as Al points out the rhythms it produces are random so for my needs as a practise tool it has limited value. What I need is something that will produce a consistent rhythm every time I practise the same piece, not a different rhythm each time to keep me on my toes. Would I have ever paid full price for one of these? Hell no, but for the £40 I splashed on it its an OK bit of fun. A dedicated drum machine would be much more useful though.  

Edited by XoSo
  • Thanks 2

Every review I've read or seen about these doofers has been guitar oriented. 

I'd say it's aimed at the one man and backing track brigade and/or general improv practice, but it's randomness  would probably put them off, too.

So, maybe these are cheap because no-one wants them...?  Having said that, if I had £50 burning a hole in my pocket I'd give this a try for interest.

@XoSo thanks very much for your review. 'Tell it like it is, warts and all' feedback is always the most useful and definitely appreciated. But I'm kinda glad that @dannybuoy had found they had temporarily sold out before he managed to reach for his credit card! 

Btw - if you're after a quality drum machine you could do worse than checking out the Alesis SR16 (I have it's slightly bigger brother the SR18)

@Tonteee If you've got £50 burning a hole in your pocket how about one of these?! (And I think there's also one in the FS section going for even less). IMHO one the best 'value for money' drive pedals on the market today - going from warm valve break up to thick overdrive whilst retaining bottom end.

@LeftyBiskit  Hey, far worse things have been done under the influence!...:drinks:

I played with mine more last night, I love it.

Sure, on the guitar you get more, as you get a bass line, but on the bass as I spent most of the time doing yesterday the randomness works for me (and it is not that random). You play whatever, and it finds a set of drum patterns which it plays. Then you play along with it and see what you can work with, change to different styles etc. 

As a practice tool for playing along with things it is excelent.

I have drum machines on the computer, and they are fine, they can do what I want, I pretty well never use them. This has the advantage of throwing me something with a 'play along with this'. If I don't like it I can do it again.

On 11/18/2017 at 10:48, Al Krow said:

Do you know what rhythm flexibility it has on drums e.g. 5/4, 6/8 time etc? It seems to make reference to 4/4 and 3/4 on the 'style' dial

That and the 500mA draw are the only two things making me hesitate in getting this, otherwise it does look like a useful bit of kit and good value at that price.

Power supply is included. Got one for my son. Should be a real help for his songwriting.