Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one dirt pedal?

Al Krow

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting. Does it also come with the equivalent of the SA editing software and the ability to store 128 presets?

Yeah, you can load in all the AO settings. its just the default sounds that are different, which of course can be overwritten. I was tempted but i really like the colour of the AO.

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Sorry, i meant in hindsight. The Cioks is a really nice PSU and its not going anywhere. its under the board and, well, just does its job. The 1Spot is only the wall wart one, with a 5 or 2 outlet cable. I do have it for when i need to only power one or two boxes (normally if i cant take my pedal board) but is quite a messy affair for more than a couple.

The AO just arrived. considering it was sold as a return its mark free. Very surprised at how small it is, especially compared to the PL. Good times ahead :-)

What does AO stand for? Sounds like you are getting confused with the Alpha Omega!

I did not try the Aftershock, nor the Pork&Pickle but I bought an Agro for the third timexD... so far it is the best for my taste. Nevertheless I don't sell the B3K right now, having 4 basses and 3 amps I can have one or two pedals in a drawer.

The agro does not steal that much basses after all, it has a pretty natural tone  opposite to the B3k. Being less sharp it can get lost easier but interacts much better before an EF to get a little synthy. A very good allrounder OD /distortion

Edited by totorbass

On 19/03/2018 at 12:24, Iacopo San said:

Currently in love with the DOD Carcosa, great variety of sounds

Not come across this one before - it's a pretty full on fuzz which seems to be equally at home with guitar and bass.

On 19/03/2018 at 22:25, totorbass said:

I did not try the Aftershock, nor the Pork&Pickle but I bought an Agro for the third timexD... so far it is the best for my taste. Nevertheless I don't sell the B3K right now, having 4 basses and 3 amps I can have one or two pedals in a drawer.

The agro does not steal that much basses after all, it has a pretty natural tone  opposite to the B3k. Being less sharp it can get lost easier but interacts much better before an EF to get a little synthy. A very good allrounder OD /distortion

Lol! You're as bad as Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor :D

4 hours ago, Thunderpaws said:

Cancelled my order for a Pork and Pickle and got a Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi instead. Initial impressions through my 2watt all valve guitar amp with my bass in the living room are great. Can’t wait to plug it into my bass amp!! 

Why the change of heart on the P&P? 

6 hours ago, Thunderpaws said:

Cancelled my order for a Pork and Pickle and got a Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi instead. Initial impressions through my 2watt all valve guitar amp with my bass in the living room are great. Can’t wait to plug it into my bass amp!! 

7E991B30-C252-4A61-A4F7-5AD54D58B51D.jpeg

I reckon you’ve made the right move there. The Deluxe big muff is much, much more versatile. Only downside vs the Pork & Pickle is the footprint but it’s a price worth paying I think.

On 20/03/2018 at 22:36, Al Krow said:

Not come across this one before - it's a pretty full on fuzz which seems to be equally at home with guitar and bass.

Lol! You're as bad as Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor :D

Why the change of heart on the P&P? 

I was hankering after a big muff before the PandP was announced. The PandP seems to tick a lot of boxes and it’ll surely be a top product that will get lots of attention, but I wanted/needed something fuzzy now so didn’t want to wait on a shifting delivery date. I’m fairly easy pleased and the big muff will do what I wanted the PandP for. 

Cheers

im really loving my AS. It was brought as an on/off dirt boost, but ive found im using it on almost all the time. Just for a bit of warmth and a bit more 'something to help cut through'. I was about to buy another pedal (or god forbid, put an existing one back on my board), when i found out about the Tap Tempo add on. This cheap on off switch allows me to change patches on the AS with a secondary foot switch. It effectively adds a second foot switch to the AS. Between the two switches i can have up to 6 pre-sets on tap, without bending down to flip the switch. Even better, it allows me to switch in a secondary patch on top of the always on patch. Pretty neat.

14 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

im really loving my AS. It was brought as an on/off dirt boost, but ive found im using it on almost all the time. Just for a bit of warmth and a bit more 'something to help cut through'. I was about to buy another pedal (or god forbid, put an existing one back on my board), when i found out about the Tap Tempo add on. This cheap on off switch allows me to change patches on the AS with a secondary foot switch. It effectively adds a second foot switch to the AS. Between the two switches i can have up to 6 pre-sets on tap, without bending down to flip the switch. Even better, it allows me to switch in a secondary patch on top of the always on patch. Pretty neat.

Sounds interesting. There's a SA Tap Tempo in the FS - is that the one you just picked up?

So you've got a really good drive, you're finally happy with your comp and have a decent headphone amp at home. So you really still going to buy the TC Spectradrive (or is that the pedal you've sensibly decided to bin)? :crazy:

Edited by Al Krow

20 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds interesting. There's a SA Tap Tempo in the FS - is that the one you just picked up?

So you've got a really good drive, you're finally happy with your comp and have a decent headphone amp at home. So you really still going to buy the TC Spectradrive (or is that the pedal you've sensibly decided to bin)? :crazy:

Yes, i got the one in the classifieds. Im not sure how much ill use it but for £20 its worth a shot. My only issue is where to put it on the board, as i dont really have space to place it in a way i can hit the switch. Ill have a think.

Im very happy with all that i have, but yes, still going to get the Spectradrive. This might actualy be a solution to my secondary dive issue. I can take off the Spectracomp and replace it with this, so ill get another switchable drive. I can just squeeze this on once the SC has gone. I do still prefer real knobs over having to program something. I feel the Spectradrive EQ will be as useful as the Q/Strip. I just need ot hear the SD OD tone before i go ahead and get it.

Well if the Spectradrive can replace the Q/Strip (which is essentially a sooper-dooper vintage EQ?) then I guess that would both free up space and potentially release some cash.

Very few Q/Strips being bought, as far as I can tell, and fewer still coming on used in FS, so you should have no probs moving it on. If I had space on my board, I'd definitely be tempted to take it off your hands :) 

However, I'd be very gob-smacked if the Spectradrive came close in EQ terms to matching what the Q/Strip** is demo'd as being able to do: I look forward to your A/B of them.

**but I've never had one and you do!

Edited by Al Krow

Not really, looks like a great all in one solution, but I like my separates too much that I'd rather not compromise for the sake of convenience or portability. I've not found a headphone amp as good as the PJB Bighead - everything else I've tried in multi FX or amp heads has been either noisy or not enough volume, so I fear the same from this. I've settled on my two main favourite sounds, my BB into a B3K, or my P bass into a Tonehammer, and I very much doubt the Spectradrive could replace either. I picked up the SpectraComp just out of interest to compare to the Cali Compact.

That all makes very good sense DB.  You're very much a P bass / Yammy P-J rather than J bass man then?

Well if you manage to do a detailed A/B of the Spectracomp and the Cali, I suspect there will be a lot of folk interested to hear what your views are.

Spooky, just when I said that Q/Strips never seem to come up in the FS...

You won't get a very detailed compressor comparison out of me as I don't have much experience with them. But the Cali is the best I've ever had for transparent volume levelling without neutering the thump of the attack, altering my EQ or introducing any weird artifacts. If I can get that from a smaller cheaper single-knobber, I will be happy!

56 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That all makes very good sense DB.  You're very much a P bass / Yammy P-J rather than J bass man then?

Well if you manage to do a detailed A/B of the Spectracomp and the Cali, I suspect there will be a lot of folk interested to hear what your views are.

Spooky, just when I said that Q/Strips never seem to come up in the FS...

I love Jazz basses, but i love P basses even more. I have both so i take whatever i feel i want to use at the time. Preference is P bass for its simplicity, Jazz bass for its slightly more varied tones. Plus my only 5 string is a jazz.

Wow, spooky indeed. Mine is off the board as we speak, but its not going for sale. I never really intended it to stay on the board for ever, as good as it is im missing the BDDI too much (again), but its so versatile ill keep it for home playing for now. Just need to decide on what goes back Its either the BDDIv2 or VTBass DI. I love both. The BDDI seems to work well with my P bass,  and its more what im used to, but the VTBass has more tone in it.

For now the Tech21 box will be my always on, and the AS can supply the dirtier stuff. This seems to be working well at home at the moment. The tap tempo will make things interesting.

Bloody hell. I was settled a few hours ago. All this will change again once the Speatrdrive arrives. I believe its release has been put back a few months though.

18 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

If I can get that from a smaller cheaper single-knobber, I will be happy!

Lets not forget the 30+ parameters available for editing. in the Spectracomp. I think if you love the Cali the TC comps wont cut it, but in my case the simplicity of the one knob has made a huge impact. I dont even bother with the Spectracomp at rehearsals. It comes on when the board is plugged in and it just stays like that all night. With the Cali i was forever tweaking it. As long as the Sectradrive has the same comp in it then ill be happy with this replacing the Spectracomp. It s really just for limiting or thickening the upper strings that i need it for.

Edited by dave_bass5

22 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

You won't get a very detailed compressor comparison out of me as I don't have much experience with them. But the Cali is the best I've ever had for transparent volume levelling without neutering the thump of the attack, altering my EQ or introducing any weird artifacts. If I can get that from a smaller cheaper single-knobber, I will be happy!

Looks like you couldn’t resist trying that one knob ;-). 

• 3 weeks later...

I just got an SA Aftershock... what a beast!

I just wanted it for one fairly high gain kind of sound, and liked that I can probably tweak it until I'm satisfied exactly with the amount of low end and everything... but this pedal can do so many things! So... presets and an external switch, eh? Interesting...

• Like 1

Just now, mcnach said:

I just got an SA Aftershock... what a beast!

I just wanted it for one fairly high gain kind of sound, and liked that I can probably tweak it until I'm satisfied exactly with the amount of low end and everything... but this pedal can do so many things! So... presets and an external switch, eh? Interesting...

The Aftershock is no joke! It can do almost anything you can think of, drive wise. Sometimes I wonder why I sold mine but then I realise it was because I preferred the simplicity of my OFD. Then I wonder why I sold my OFD...xD

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

The Aftershock is no joke! It can do almost anything you can think of, drive wise. Sometimes I wonder why I sold mine but then I realise it was because I preferred the simplicity of my OFD. Then I wonder why I sold my OFD...xD

Ah, the things we do...

There's pedals I've bought and sold 2 and 3 times... 

The Aftershock has the potential to be amazing. Reading a bit through the manual I keep going "whoa! it can do what???" but I fear I'll choke soon and switch to some small basic pedal instead if I'm not careful. The editor app is a whole entire world in itself!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I realise it was because I preferred the simplicity of my OFD

That’s my current thinking. I also don’t like deep menu diving in order to create sounds; I like having every control to hand and as much visibility of settings as possible. 

• Like 1