Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one dirt pedal?

Al Krow

Just for you, because Thierry Henry was a Frenchman and so is Alain Caron (ok he is of the French Canadian variety) whose signature Markbass I'm playing:

"shift" = "move / get sold"

"pdq" = "pretty damn quick" i.e. very quickly

In my experience all pedals seem to lose a lot of value when bought new (apart from the Cali 76 CB for some reason!), but lose very little value when bought second hand (provided they have been looked after properly). 

Damnation Audio MBD-1 has clean blend to help preserve all that low end goodness...and I've managed to reduce my very civilised Aguilar pedals from 3 to 1 over the past 3 months...

• 1 month later...

Hey has anyone come across this pedal before? It's been out a while and while it's aimed at guitarists but a number of bass players on the net seem to rave about it too, although I've not seen it come up much in our threads? It combines Empresses' three dirt pedals in one and unlike the Way Huge Pork & Pickle the effects can be blended. A lot of versatility and has individually selectable LPFs for cutting out high end 'fizz' and maintaining that meaty low end. Unless Origin come up with something amazing for their new drive pedal, this does look to me like a contender for a "if you could only choose one dirt pedal" and I'm feeling pretty tempted to get one. Retailing at £249 at Andertons (new) but hopefully maybe able to pick one up second hand from a jaded guitarist... :) 

1 minute ago, tonyxtiger said:

On paper, it should. I had one a while back and just the inherent tone made me move it on. I think definitely voiced for Guitar over bass. Couldn’t really find a use for it. 

Tony - that's really helpful, thank you. Always good to hear from someone who's had one of these 'in the flesh'.

Is there anything comparable for bass out there - or should we just get onto Empress to make a bass version of this? It just seems to have a versatility I've not really seen in other dirt pedals.

FEA Photon II fuzz can do both light OD and full on fuzz, with internal dip switches for a LPF on the clean channel and HPF going into the drive channel. Probably the most versatile pedal I've had that can do really good fuzz and light drive rather than just mediocre versions of one or the other!

28 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

FEA Photon II fuzz can do both light OD and full on fuzz, with internal dip switches for a LPF on the clean channel and HPF going into the drive channel. Probably the most versatile pedal I've had that can do really good fuzz and light drive rather than just mediocre versions of one or the other!

Cheers DB, was wondering when you were going to chip in with your wisdom ('DB' = 'Dirt-pedal Brainiac' right? :))

Here's your original review, below. The pedal seems to be £300 (new) if you get from reverb (including UK taxes) so very much in DarkGlass pricing territory. It does seem versatile - even has a built in octave!

Do you still regard the TAFM as being better than this (the conclusion on your previous thread)? Or are they both now superceded by the Aggie Agro, which you were being very positive about earlier in this thread?

Edited by Al Krow

I guess it’s tricky to find the drive that has the tone you like and the features. 

For example, you could add in all sorts of blends and filters but if it doesn’t break up the way you like, it’s pointless. Felt the same about the brimstone crossover distortion. Great features but just not the tone I wanted. Could be fine for others though. 

I guess that’s why so many builders play it safe with an OD with a blend and a tone. 

I do sometimes get asked by builders “what do Bass players want?” Regarding a bass OD. Any ideas welcome...

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers DB, was wondering when you were going to chip in with your wisdom ('DB' = 'Dirt-pedal Brainiac' right? :))

Here's your original review, below. The pedal seems to be £300 (new) if you get from reverb (including UK taxes) so very much in DarkGlass pricing territory. It does seem versatile - even has a built in octave!

Do you still regard the TAFM as being better than this (the conclusion on your previous thread)? Or are they both now superceded by the Aggie Agro, which you were being very positive about earlier in this thread?

I'd say my favourite setting on the TAFM just pips it, but then again the Photon has way more sounds in it and can get very close to the TAFM. Forget the octave setting on it though, it's useless on bass. It's an octave up fuzz that needs lots of high frequency content (i.e. a guitar) for it to react properly, plus it sounds out of phase with the main dirt and dry signal.

The Agro is a different kettle of fish altogether, it's more used as a low gain dirty amp sim!

Edited by dannybuoy

• 2 weeks later...

I got my hands on a SA Aftershock this morning.

Must admit that my first impressions are VERY POSITIVE INDEED! It has a ridiculous range from mild tube to fuzz via its three overdrive engines with no loss of low end. Some comments earlier about concerns over its core tone - well none from me so far: it sounded just great through my Yammy BB1025 and Mesa M6 combo.

With control over clean blend, drive, volume and tone you have an ability to tweak the sound quite considerably giving you an extremely versatile dirt pedal; and that's before touching the software editor options.

I've been through a number of pretty good drive pedals over the past six months (Two Notes Le Bass, HGBM, TC Mojomojo and SA Soundblox 2 OFD) and this seems to take some of the best features from each. I've got a strong suspicion it could be a keeper.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I got my hands on a SA Aftershock this morning.

Must admit that my first impressions are VERY POSITIVE INDEED! It has a ridiculous range from mild tube to fuzz via its three overdrive engines with no loss of low end. Some comments earlier about concerns over its core tone - well none from me so far: it sounded just great through my Yammy BB1025 and Mesa M6 combo.

With control over clean blend, drive, volume and tone you have an ability to tweak the sound quite considerably giving you an extremely versatile dirt pedal; and that's before touching the software editor options.

I've been through a number of pretty good drive pedals over the past six months (Two Notes Le Bass, HGBM, TC Mojomojo and SA Soundblox 2 OFD) and this seems to take some of the best features from each. I've got a strong suspicion it could be a keeper.

Have you hooked it up to your phone yet and swapped out the models? You can get 12 on at a time if you put a different one in each channel of the 6 available slots. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

15 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Indeed. Why one can’t edit parameters on TC stuff on one’s phone is a real shame. 

I know, they’ve really dropped the ball on that one. The thing is, the full editor is available on iPad so the infrastructure is there for iOS at least - they’d just have to do some GUI adjustments to make it work on the smaller iPhone screen.

• 3 weeks later...

@dave_bass5 has your SA Aftershock arrived yet? If so, initial impressions - how does it stack up against your other recent drive pedals?

22 hours ago, mxm said:

I too got impatient and went with an AS - ungigged but impressed with its capabilities and tones so far.

Hah! Just seen (on the PL thread) that you've got one too! So looks like three of us are just about to embark on a shock trip, hopefully with no regrets after :D

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Mine is due today. Cant wait. I love the idea of it, i just hope i dont get too preoccupied with it.

Its funny but at the start of the year i HAD to get a Cioks DC-5 as i needed 18v (for the Cali), and also for the. Now i dont need 18v for anything. Could have stuck with the 1 Spot.

7 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Mine is due today. Cant wait. I love the idea of it, i just hope i dont get too preoccupied with it.

Its funny but at the start of the year i HAD to get a Cioks DC-5 as i needed 18v (for the Cali), and also for the. Now i dont need 18v for anything. Could have stuck with the 1 Spot.

Excellent!

Dave - you should have no probs moving on the Ciocks DC5 if it's surplus; they hardly ever come up second hand and are such a well built bit of kit (so much so, I'm going to hold onto mine for a little while longer; even though I've just got an MXR IsoBrick to cater for the larger current draw from the pedals on my Metro 24 board). Which 1 Spot have you got - or did you move it on?

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Excellent!

Dave - you should have no probs moving on the Ciocks DC5 if it's surplus; they hardly ever come up second hand and are such a well built bit of kit (so much so, I'm going to hold onto mine for a little while longer; even though I've just got an MXR IsoBrick to cater for the larger current draw from the pedals on my Metro 24 board). Which 1 Spot have you got - or did you move it on?

Sorry, i meant in hindsight. The Cioks is a really nice PSU and its not going anywhere. its under the board and, well, just does its job. The 1Spot is only the wall wart one, with a 5 or 2 outlet cable. I do have it for when i need to only power one or two boxes (normally if i cant take my pedal board) but is quite a messy affair for more than a couple.

The AO just arrived. considering it was sold as a return its mark free. Very surprised at how small it is, especially compared to the PL. Good times ahead :-)

15 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Anybody interested in the Aftershock, the LA Lady seems to be pretty much the same thing in different clothes... and Prymaxe have a "gently used" one going for $108. And they ship to UK.

Interesting. Does it also come with the equivalent of the SA editing software and the ability to store 128 presets?

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting. Does it also come with the equivalent of the SA editing software and the ability to store 128 presets?

Assume so, it's the guitar equivalent of the Aftershock, but has the bass models too when you look in the manual