Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one dirt pedal?

Al Krow

@krispn - you certainly did mention it in the ad (just rechecked) and it must have been at the back of my mind otherwise I wouldn't have thought to check the specs on the net! So definitely no worries.

Well I'm hoping that putting 18v through the HGBM means that it will kick into life in the drive dial 0 to 5 range (where I didn't really hear much at 9V) and I suspect it will be doing more in the 6 to 10 range also. I'll see if I can give it a spin at the higher voltage in the next day or so. 

Don't get me wrong: my first impressions are that this is still a really good pedal at 9V - but if I can coax it to sound like the 0 to 5 drive range in this clip below, even better (see 1.58 to 2.42 and 4.05 to 4.45) and I've not even started to try out the adjustable low control on the side (5.28+ and 6.34 to 6.44) - which I think could deal with issue of sucking out low end without my needing to drop a further £200 on a KMA Tyler.

It's actually this low control in combination with its relatively clean overdrive (at anything less than nearly 'maxed out' drive dial setting) that I think gives this pedal such a lot of potential and even more so given its reasonable price point at c. £100 (new).

UPDATE - now tried it at 18V. Well it was a bit louder, but no real difference to how engaged it was between 0 to 5 (minimal change in this range). Also didn't hear a massive difference with the 'low' being adjusted. So it seems to me this will be just fine on 9V (or more likely 12V) and take up just one output from my Cioks, rather than a voltage doubling two, and I'll be using it exclusively with drive between 6 to 10.

Edited by Al Krow

Yup I think it just works better in that 0-5 range and played with a pick .....it would be my choice but not a tone I need right now. On a mini board providing some bite and edge I can only imagine 18v will be great. Do report back when you try it with the band pushing the 18v!

Just thought I'd add here that I've found my O/D sounds very different on different amps - I know that sounds fairly obvious, but it's worth a mention.  For example, I quite like my Budda Om O/D - has a useful tone control I find, to help get a balance between cut and weediness.   Also not very expensive for a cool looking/sounding pedal.  However, it always sounds somehow better going through my SWR Studio 220 than it does through an immaculate Trace SMX I get to use regularly, both with flat EQ. 

Now, I appreciate there's no real mystery here - different pre-amps, different baked-in natural tones - but I thought that it was worth mentioning.  It probably wasn't... :)

• Like 1

On 21/11/2017 at 23:39, dannybuoy said:

I just ran my B3K at 18V by accident, and not only did it survive but it sounded better! Not sure if this only applies to the USA built ones as I’ve never heard of anyone running Darkglass pedals at 18V, so don’t try this at home folks!

Well assuming the internal power regulation doesn't fry, you're probably increasing the headroom right? And I doubt Darkglass skimped on the specs of the components.  I run a Pork Loin at 18v (Dunlop say 'don't' but others have had an unofficial 'it's ok') and the improvement in clean pre-amp headroom is significant. In fact at 9v, the clean side clips nastily with bass and at 18v it's totally clean.  It's the difference between 'not for bass' and 'awesome'. 

@T-Bay Picking up your comment on this thread, if I may. That's interesting and not something I'm finding with my basses, but then I typically add a bit of preamp to give things a boost. @Osiris is pretty knowledgeable on the Mojomojo (and a big fan of the pedal) and also a bit of a guru on EQ and compression matters, I wonder if he's got any suggestions on what you're finding?

If the problem could be fixed so that you get a decent overdriven sound across all strings would that actually be close to what you're looking for?

Btw...when you do find your perfect overdrive (a quest I'm also still on, hence this thread) then please do share notes!

I bought a mojomojo based on recommendation from here and I am not feeling the love. In particular it seems overly aggressive on the low strings, so if I set a nice overdriven sound on the E string I seem to get nothing on the G, if I set a tone I like on the G I get more like full on distortion on the E. My search for the perfect overdrive continues.......

50 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@T-Bay Picking up your comment on this thread, if I may. That's interesting and not something I'm finding with my basses, but then I typically add a bit of preamp to give things a boost. @Osiris is pretty knowledgeable on the Mojomojo (and a big fan of the pedal) and also a bit of a guru on EQ and compression matters, I wonder if he's got any suggestions on what you're finding?

If the problem could be fixed so that you get a decent overdriven sound across all strings would that actually be close to what you're looking for?

Btw...when you do find your perfect overdrive (a quest I'm also still on, hence this thread) then please do share notes!

The tone is fine when I dial it in, it is purely that lack of consistency across the strings that is the issue. It’s an odd one and one that I have never come across before with any pedal. What I really want is an effect that is almost transparent when played normally but gives a bit of growl when I dig in. 

7 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

The tone is fine when I dial it in, it is purely that lack of consistency across the strings that is the issue. It’s an odd one and one that I have never come across before with any pedal. What I really want is an effect that is almost transparent when played normally but gives a bit of growl when I dig in. 

Hmmm...I'd hate to be the cause of you buying a second 'not right for you' pedal, but what you've just described in terms of what you're after sounds exactly like the HGBM I've just acquired from krispn! Have a listen to YouTube clip on this I posted earlier in the thread and see what you think?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hmmm...I'd hate to be the cause of you buying a second 'not right for you' pedal, but what you've just described in terms of what you're after sounds exactly like the HGBM I've just acquired from krispn! Have a listen to YouTube clip on this I posted earlier in the thread and see what you think?

It does sound very good, exactly what I have been after in fact. I will keep an eye out for one second hand. I have also been wondering about a Hot Wax but sadly they didn’t have one to try when I went to PMT in Brum. The mojomojo is the third overdrive/ distortion pedal I have tried. I know exactly the sound I am after, it’s just finding it that’s a problem!

8 hours ago, radiophonic said:

Well assuming the internal power regulation doesn't fry, you're probably increasing the headroom right? And I doubt Darkglass skimped on the specs of the components.  I run a Pork Loin at 18v (Dunlop say 'don't' but others have had an unofficial 'it's ok') and the improvement in clean pre-amp headroom is significant. In fact at 9v, the clean side clips nastily with bass and at 18v it's totally clean.  It's the difference between 'not for bass' and 'awesome'. 

Doug replied to my query on this and it seems the internals are safe up to about 15V. More than one person has fried their B3K/B7K at 18V so I got lucky.

He also noted that the preamp in the M900 runs at 15V, and that you would notice the difference in the higher voltage more if you used a high output bass and low gain settings, which I do. The higher voltage definitely gives more headroom, less fizz and more dynamic range with my B3K and makes it sound closer to what I’ve been getting from the amp.

22 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Doug replied to my query on this and it seems the internals are safe up to about 15V. More than one person has fried their B3K/B7K at 18V so I got lucky.

He also noted that the preamp in the M900 runs at 15V, and that you would notice the difference in the higher voltage more if you used a high output bass and low gain settings, which I do. The higher voltage definitely gives more headroom, less fizz and more dynamic range with my B3K and makes it sound closer to what I’ve been getting from the amp.

Any idea why higher voltage leads to less fizz? That sounds like a really good trade off to me!

So far I haven't found the solution.

-I liked the EBS valvedrive very much, but cumbersome and boring to feed at 12v AC

I tried the runoffgroove Ginger, very good mild OD but one trick pony .

then Scientist Elements, lacked bass compared to the valvedrive IMO, otherwise very good and obviously very versatile.

The mxr bass OD was a bit muddy for my taste and lacked personnality

I went to an Agro, I sold for a B3K, I sold for an Agro, and bought a new B3k. The aggie is very good, versatile and pleasant before an EF but gets a bit lost in the mix IMO (a bit noisy too, and the heavy steel box bothers me. I wish it came with a blend and aluminium standard box).  The B3k is very good at what it does, but not very transparent and by no means creamy (too harsh to use before an EF )

I also have an idiotbox blowerbox clone which is cool in a rat-esque way. Useful but gain past noon I don't like the sound

all in all the B3k and Agro comes first, maybe the agro is better yet because it is very versatile, can be aggressive but has enough body to sound sweet and natural.

Maybe I'll try the chase bliss next.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Any idea why higher voltage leads to less fizz? That sounds like a really good trade off to me!

Well it doesn’t really affect the frequency response, but at 9V with a hot bass and low gain that fuzzy distortion is a lot more prevalent than at 18V, the higher voltage results in better headroom and less distortion. It’s like it can react better to my dynamics when I vary between soft notes and full on digging in. I think it’s a major part of why some report that they prefer the M900 drive to the pedals!

8 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Well it doesn’t really affect the frequency response, but at 9V with a hot bass and low gain that fuzzy distortion is a lot more prevalent than at 18V, the higher voltage results in better headroom and less distortion. It’s like it can react better to my dynamics when I vary between soft notes and full on digging in. I think it’s a major part of why some report that they prefer the M900 drive to the pedals!

Ah ok, thanks. Just noticed that the Ciocks DC5 has an easy toggle 9V/18V on one of its ouputs (which the DC8 doesn't have) so I can see why you were tempted to use the 18V setting. But seems ideal for my Hooker's Green BM - I won't be needing to take up two outputs with a voltage doubler, which is good news. 

17 minutes ago, krispn said:

Al krow

I do believe some toggle between 9v-12v and the outputs have varying mA draw too. Come on man read the manual! ?

That I knew already buddy having read the Ciocks DC8 manual a while back - I'd assumed the DC5 would be pretty much identical, but one or two nice little twists on the DC5.

In particular it's the cheeky little 9v / 18v toggle on one output hidden in the middle of the 'pack' that took me by pleasant surprise when I spotted it yesterday!

Yup I use that to power one of my pedals at the full 18v. Luckily my other pedals do that whole doubling internally so they don’t need the higher output. Be interesting to hear how the HGBM changes running off that 18v tap!!

Edited by krispn

5 minutes ago, krispn said:

Yup I use that to power one of my pedals at the full 18v. Luckily my other pedals do that whole doubling internally so they don’t need the higher output. Be interesting to hear how the HGBM changes running off that 18v tap!!

Actually tried it already [see my update to on my HGBM post above]. Basically it's louder but otherwise pretty much the same! @dannybuoy was pretty much spot on in his assessment of how it would react to the higher voltage!

I use a Beta into the B3K mode of the M900 amp, they are a good pairing if your B3K is always on and you want a dirty boost with a big hump in the lows and low mids to kick in every now and then. It is very muffled though, probably the darkest overdrive pedal I’ve used! I bought this pedal when it first came out and sold it on as it was too much when paired with my dark sounding amp (Orange Terror Bass), but now I have a much brighter amp I repurchased it and it was just what I needed.

The HGBM probably doesn’t lose any lows, but it does lack ‘heft’ compared to the Blueberry (which is probably boosting the low end).

Edited by dannybuoy

@krispn hah not entirely (or even close to being) true. On the other hand, @dannybuoy has actually bought the lot.

I need to give the Hookers Green BM a proper test drive. But in general terms my sense is that overdrive pedals fall seem into two camps

Great at top end but loss of low end (Two Notes, Darkglass etc) 

Not so good at the top cutting edge but good at the low end (TC Mojomojo).

And those that fall 'in between' e.g. HGBM but may be neither one nor the other.

I'm after that elusive dirt pedal mix that nails it across the spectrum and has low end 'heft' that dannybuoy refers to. Based on what @Cuzzie has been saying to date, he may well just have through painstaking research* / stumbled* (*delete as applicable) found this in the shape of the Demon Parvati. I'm waiting eagerly for some sound samples from him.

I don't know whether any of your other overdrive pedals can similarly deliver this elusive mix in your experience, DB?

Edited by Al Krow