Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one dirt pedal?

Al Krow

My favourites so far.

Kimbara fuzz box (fuzz face clone) 

Colorsound tonebender (adapted by an electronics genius, that I was in a band with, to be massively bass friendly!) 

Ibanez PD7 phat-hed overdrive (noisy but very versatile) ...Microtubes B3K..my current weapon of choice!... Love it! 

• Like 1

On 06/11/2021 at 02:07, bottomfeed said:

My favourites so far.

Kimbara fuzz box (fuzz face clone) 

Colorsound tonebender (adapted by an electronics genius, that I was in a band with, to be massively bass friendly!) 

Ibanez PD7 phat-hed overdrive (noisy but very versatile) ...Microtubes B3K..my current weapon of choice!... Love it! 

I love the Phat Hed. It is the sound of 20 year old me 😄

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

But probably the Xotic Bass BB Preamp.

I've been super tempted to get this. I've got a sim on my Zoom B1-4 which sounds great, but doesn't manage particularly with low end notes (on low E and B strings) - I'm guessing the real thing won't have any such issues? (And it obviously also has my all time favourite BB moniker 😁)

Any significant difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 versions of the BB?

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I've been super tempted to get this. I've got a sim on my Zoom B1-4 which sounds great, but doesn't manage particularly with low end notes (on low E and B strings) - I'm guessing the real thing won't have any such issues? (And it obviously also has my all time favourite BB moniker 😁)

Any significant difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 versions of the BB?

No issues on the lower strings at all! I can't find the mk2, do you mean the bright orange v1.5? Haven't tried it but either way its a great "transparent" overdrive, surprised I don't see them on more boards.

Edited by bassist_lewis
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bassist_lewis said:

No issues on the lower strings at all! I can't find the mk2, do you mean the bright orange v1.5? Either way its a great "transparent" overdrive, surprised I don't see them on more boards.

Yeah I think I was getting confused with the reissue 1.5 guitar version. So the original and best bass version is still the one to get. 

I think there was one in the FS recently - I hesitated and it got snapped up! Tbf my little Pigtronox Octava is punching way above it's weight (and price bracket!) in terms of full spectrum overdrive / fuzz duties. But if another vgc used Xotic BB comes up I really should give it a spin and A/B it against the Pigtronix.

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah I think I was getting confused with the reissue 1.5 guitar version. So the original and best bass version is still the one to get. 

I think there was one in the FS recently - I hesitated and it got snapped up! Tbf my little Pigtronox Octava is punching way above it's weight (and price bracket!) in terms of full spectrum overdrive / fuzz duties. But if another vgc used Xotic BB comes up I really should give it a spin and A/B it against the Pigtronix.

I had a quick search and there's a few up on eBay and Reverb, not sure on the location though. I would highly recommend it.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Just been recommended to me and has a Black Friday discount...

I do like the sound of this! (Although maybe not quite enough to replace my Pigtronix Octava)

I've been wanting to try this since it came out, thought the rattler was great.

Who's the black Friday deal with Al?

53 minutes ago, danbowskill said:

I've been wanting to try this since it came out, thought the rattler was great.

Who's the black Friday deal with Al?

Jam Pedals | The Music Emporium - these guys.

@MM Stingray 62 has one and is super happy with it.

I'm thinking I might want something a bit more Rat based to cut through and really liked the look of @Sibob's  Fuzzrocious Cat Tail on his board.

• Like 1

I had the Jam Pedals Rattler but I sold it as I thought it sucked too much of the bass out.  The Lucy Dreamer, however, I have kept, I think it works really well.

I have been tempted by the Red Muck but also have my eye on the Genzler Crash Box.  I like the idea of a HPF to tailor the frequencies being distorted-and keep more bass.